• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anybody Else Play With Fuel Concoctions?

For those knowledgeable on fuels and additives, what have you added to your pump gas?

Personally, over the past 5 years, I’ve added toluene, xylene (as toluene was phased out from stores because of drug addicts), MMO, ATF, castor oil, and wintergreen oil. No ill effects, and the car runs pretty strong! My plugs always looks great, fuel rubbers are fine, and my OEM injectors were removed at 120k miles and sent off for cleaning and flow balance. All but one were basically perfect as received.

I don’t have any dyno runs to prove any power gains (since I have doubts on repeatability), but I do know the car is very strong from ¼ mile runs using my concoctions. A few years ago I started a thread documenting my ¼ mile runs if interested….

Since I don’t know of any Honda OBDI datalogging capability, I started doing trial-and-error tests bumping up octane to get some butt dyno impressions. Can you notice a decrease in engine performance if you’ve been forced to use 87 octane gas at some point (availability while doing a road trip or something)? I had to once and noticed a big drop in power from my butt dyno. That sent me on a quest to determine the optimum octane that would bump up to the limits of the OEM timing curves. I finally settled on a ~96 equivalent octane rating using toluene or xylene mixed with 93 octane pump gas.

I run it in 5 gallon batches, to which I add a little lubrication (an ounce of MMO, ATF, etc).

Furthermore, I really dislike the NOx and other exhaust byproducts and smell when bypassing my Magnaflow hi-flow cerametallic cat with my cutout, so I've been playing around with different fuel "scents." I guess after I hit 30YO that I no longer wanted to deal with annoying loud stinky exhausts all the time. Some folks like that musclecar and Harley exhaust stench, but I don’t really care for it in my old age.

The xylene alone gives the exhaust a "sweeter" smell (hmmm, probably why it's called an "aromatic"). MMO also contains a bit of wintergreen oil so it also contributes to a sweeter smell (some of this is attributable to the naptha and other ingredients in it). I just recently bought pure wintergreen oil to mix in as well. I add about 1/8 of an ounce to my 5 gallon mixture to sweeten even more. It’s a lot cheaper than using these aftermarket scents:

http://www.manhattanoil.com/fuel-fragrances.php
fuel-fragrances.jpg

The end result is a fuel that makes full use of Honda’s OEM ECU capabilities, makes the engine run smoother, and also smells sweet when temporarily bypassing my cat for sound and power.

Dave

For various uses, I've used toluene, rubbing alcohol etc. etc... among a few other things. In the end, I found Meth Injection or VP C-Q16 was best.

Last edited:
I agree if you have a meth system :wink:

After my rebuild I'll be using an AEM Series 2 EMS and AEM meth injection.

For others, I wouldn't encourage use of rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol unless you ensure it is over 90% alcohol and not the typical 70% found in drugstores.

Dave

I agree if you have a meth system :wink:

After my rebuild I'll be using an AEM Series 2 EMS and AEM meth injection.

For others, I wouldn't encourage use of rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol unless you ensure it is over 90% alcohol and not the typical 70% found in drugstores.

Dave

We would use the alcohol on rotaries to pass a quick emmisions test, :biggrin:

How much for that liter?

Dave

$25 and you need 2 bottles.

I think it's the only product to clean rust off fuel tanks too.

But it's your all-in-one full fuel system/combustion chamber cleaner and octane booster.

Make sure u have a new fuel filter.

i'm not putting any of that snake oil in my car

That went in my RX7 and a few other rx7s. Certainly didn't pop any engine and passed even a mild street ported engine in California....

and rotaries are junk and cheap to fix, I'd try anything with a rotary...

well my point was that there's alot more to lose if you break a nsx motor...... so I'd be hesistant to try these home brewed potions

Of course there is more to loose in breaking a NSX motor. I'm going to get mines rebuilt with forged pistons, metal head gaskets, ARP bolts, etc. since I just blew the engine over the weekend. It was expected since I'm running 10psi all day long on pump gas on a stock block with cast pistons and a head gasket that is practically made outta paper with 120k miles.

No I didn't have that stuff in the NSX at the time.

Now that you are entering the Supercharger arena you too should plan for that, knowing that BBSC has more of a track record for Kabooming.

My point was that RX7 engines are the canaries of engines and will give violent feedback via detonation if it doesn't like a particular fuel, additive and A/F ratios.

I would be hesitant to try someone else's home-brewed potion without knowing what was in it... BUT, I'm confident in the ingredients I put in my engine.

I've been doing this for over 5 years on my engine with no ill effects. It was a daily driver too on country backroads that saw redline frequently. It will be rebuilt in November for FI.

Dave

Of course there is more to loose in breaking a NSX motor. I'm going to get mines rebuilt with forged pistons, metal head gaskets, ARP bolts, etc. since I just blew the engine over the weekend. It was expected since I'm running 10psi all day long on pump gas on a stock block with cast pistons and a head gasket that is practically made outta paper with 120k miles.

No I didn't have that stuff in the NSX at the time.

Now that you are entering the Supercharger arena you too should plan for that, knowing that BBSC has more of a track record for Kabooming.

My point was that RX7 engines are the canaries of engines and will give violent feedback via detonation if it doesn't like a particular fuel, additive and A/F ratios.

How did you break your motor?

Out of all people, you should know that engines were breaking because of the SS Box and not the Supercharger.

Last edited:
How did you break your motor?

Out of all people, you should know that engines were breaking because of the SS Box and not the Supercharger.

I took it out for some spirited runs earlier Saturday morning 1-3rd gear up to redline.

All of the sudden in the rear view mirror it looked like my FD exhaust - that blue smoke. Like a large puff and then the idle was barely holding at the next light.

SS Box? u lost me there.....

If you can't use it with Bosch platinum plugs because of the small electrode, aren't the electrodes on the iridium plugs (preferred in our cars) even smaller?

The NGK iridium electrodes looked larger than the Bosch Platinum electrodes last I recalled when I swapped them.

I took it out for some spirited runs earlier Saturday morning 1-3rd gear up to redline.

All of the sudden in the rear view mirror it looked like my FD exhaust - that blue smoke. Like a large puff and then the idle was barely holding at the next light.

SS Box? u lost me there.....

The SS Box is what came with the BBSC, it was a hokey ignition/fuel box that caused the engines to break. Once everyone swapped to AEM, the problems went away.

I just realized, you aren't running meth injection and you only have 91 octane available right? :eek:

The SS Box is what came with the BBSC, it was a hokey ignition/fuel box that caused the engines to break. Once everyone swapped to AEM, the problems went away.

I just realized, you aren't running meth injection and you only have 91 octane available right? :eek:

Yep.

Back