• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Got a new DD, 10 mazdaspeed 3

Weird. My '96 Accord finally died just last week, and now I'm DDing the NSX. Hope you don't mind if I turn out to be a copycat.:biggrin:

Weird. My '96 Accord finally died just last week, and now I'm DDing the NSX. Hope you don't mind if I turn out to be a copycat.:biggrin:

My DD is a 2005 civic so I suppose I'm not supposed to be looking for a replacement but Ko's thread has made me a little interested in these turbo hatches, 260hp ain't half bad. What can one expect after basic bolt-ons, OEM STI power?

I've spent 900 and got the Cobb ap, Cobb sri and tip, short throw shifter and a rear motor mount. I THINK ill get about 45hp or so. Stage 2 is a downpipe added. Cheap to mod and the tech package sold me. I thought they were fugly before I drove one! 4k or a little under will get you 400 hp.

HTC EVO

I've spent 900 and got the Cobb ap, Cobb sri and tip, short throw shifter and a rear motor mount. I THINK ill get about 45hp or so. Stage 2 is a downpipe added. Cheap to mod and the tech package sold me. I thought they were fugly before I drove one! 4k or a little under will get you 400 hp.

HTC EVO

cool......but what's the torque steer like with that much HP going to the front wheels?

Just purchased a cobb AP, SRI, TIP and BPV. that should get me at least another 50 hp and it was CHEEEAAAPPP!

From what I've read TIP and BPV are pretty much useless, where there isn't any gain over the stock units. A lot of people seem to regret those mods on the MS3. I did them on my old Jetta 1.8T and they didn't do anything either, just caused more headaches, so I didn't bother on my MS3...
The biggest gains I saw were with the SRI and the test pipe (not sure on the 2nd gen, but anything that opens up the exhaust better would do wonders). From what I recall, the 2nd Gen had huge CATs

Lastly the downpipe can cause problems too. On the Gen 1s it causes increased turbo smoke. On my Jetta 1.8T it caused lots of problems with the 02 sensor readings since mine had a high-flow cat. Just a heads up to do your research and make sure it's worth the hassle!

Have you seen a stock gen2 TIP?

HTC EVO

I guess I can't say that I have.. But the COBB TIP part number (771001) for the Gen2, it's the exact same part number as the Gen1.

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f11/turbo-inlet-pipe-t-i-p-66215/

Name your worst mod(s) thread...
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f505/name-your-worst-mod-s-87321/

The 1.8T was the same way... looked like you'd gain a lot by opening it up, in the end it was negligible. All you gained was extra "spool noise" that made it seem like you had more power, but my dyno proved otherwise.

You'll gain much more by opening up the exhaust...

Last edited:
Check out a stock TIP on mazdaspeedforums. I'm a member there also.

HTC EVO

I haven't seen any Gen2s, but this is the stock Gen1 one:
ip1.jpg

ip3.jpg

What am I looking for? The internal volume of both look about the same...

Many say they have gotten go gains changing the TIP. They are cheap soco bought one. Almost the same as changing the airbox on the nsx.
changing the TIP and intake are cheap and EASY.
HTC EVO

Last edited:
I installed the TIP and Cobb sri. The spool is waayy louder than before. The TIH was a PITA but it just takes time. I'm running a stage 1 map with my supporting mods. After a hiccup or 2 im happy, stopped by Cobb and they reviewed my data-logs. very nice guys!!! Best $940 I've spent so far. I wish the nsx could get gains that cheap!!!

Back