• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

the beast is alive - 3.5L twin turbocharged carbon fiber widebody NSX

I think in whp, but wondering how far they are pushing these turbo's? Regardless, I'll guess 738whp on E85.

Guessing's over!

Here's the list:

crankshaft horsepower (using 12% drivetrain loss) guesses:
NSX_PrecisionTeam - 765 hp
SOURCENSX - 806 hp
clr1024 - 835 hp
joboy - 723 hp
kookoo4nsx - 818 hp
bruce91nsx - 873 hp
tucsonsx - 784 hp
liftnot - 801 hp
Moses - 808 hp
synergy004 - 788 hp
L_RAO - 772 hp
Bram - 808 hp
RJD1022 - 822 hp
dablackgoku1234 - 801 hp
SaleenS7Rs - 813 hp
TurboD16 - 750 hp
stevieray122854 - 847 hp
Bui - 805 hp
DRIFTER - 777 hp
DELTACREW - 814 hp
MSR - 756 hp
Elite - 838 hp
Juice - 1M hp

I like the way Juice thinks...

Results to be posted in a bit.

Well, we were all surprised apparently.

This carbon fiber wide body NSX, which was featured by SuperStreet in 2005, has passed through a few hands through the years. When the new owner purchased the car, he was looking for a power plant to match the aggressive body. Through many discussions, we eventually arrived at rebuilding the engine to the ScienceofSpeed Stage 3 3.5L package we offer. The turbocharger system was an off the shelf ScienceofSpeed Twin Turbocharger System with twin custom GT2871R turbochargers. These, slightly larger than the GT25s we use on stock engines, would allow the additional air mass to achieve the customer's goal of 650 whp on pump gas and give us some overage for an E85 fuel tune (E85 being an alcohol/petrol blend with an octane (R+M)/2 equivalent of approximately 95) - an alternative to more expensive race fuels. We made a few minor upgrades to the fuel system, including using Aeromotive's new 340 LPH fuel pump and a plug and play wire harness (soon to be released from ScienceofSpeed) to support the current draw of this new pump. We also upgraded the standard injectors from 750cc - 1000cc. Based on calculations and estimates of system efficiency we made, we (conservatively) calculated and had a goal of 800 horsepower at the crankshaft (the turbos at full efficiency will produce enough air mass for around 950 horsepower at the crankshaft - which rarely happens). 800 horsepower at the crankshaft would give us about 704 horsepower at the wheels on the dyno we use.

We were blown away by the results. 819 horsepower and 679 lb/ft of torque at the wheels. That's 931 hp and 772 lb/ft of torque at the crankshaft. There was even a little more to go, but we had to stop there once we reached the maximum duty of the injectors.

All this power with off the shelf parts in stock at ScienceofSpeed. Even the engine itself, despite being a great package - is relatively factory with the addition of the 3.5L rotating assembly - including factory camshafts and factory cylinder heads.

We're very excited from these results - and it goes beyond just the numbers. First, we're excited to see that our new fuel system was up to the task of 900+ hp. Secondly, we're very excited that the twin turbocharger system has the efficiency to make nearly as much power as the turbochargers are theoretically capable of making (almost never the case). Lastly, and this I think is most important - while there have been some big horsepower numbers like this from single turbocharger systems, they all spool much later and the drivability suffers. With the larger custom GT2871s used, we only gave up 800 RPM of engine speed on this engine to hit peak boost compared to our smaller GT25s which some in at a very early 3500-3800 RPM. The result is a car that not only is fast, but is actually drivable with this level of power.

I hope you guys had fun with this, it was a nice way to end the week.

bruce91nsx - 873 hp - is our winner - even being 58 hp low! You guys should have thought more like Juice! I have a feeling that $25 will help out the project we are finishing for him next week!

take care,
-- Chris

DD_HPTQ.jpg

I say give all who participated a 25 buck gift certificate with purchases above a certain amount in a certain day period. You would accumulate a good sales day as I have lurked your website for a few parts I need to aid my overdrawn build. All the guesses were excellent giving a nice number to the developed kit by SOS. I would give Juice an extra 10% for the extra few HP levels guestimated coming in last place LOL.

In all, congrates on the excellent numbers!

=)

Chris:
Congrats... once again, you have raised the bar....

these are INCREDIBLE numbers!!!!
--bruce

p.s. definitely will apply my $25 prize to help pay off my NSX project that you are working on!
:cool:

Last edited:
OMFG! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Hats off to some ground breaking performance numbers. Looking forward to hearing more about this project. Which clutch can hold this?

50-150 in a blink. Any in car video's of acceleration? Does the owner by chance live in the South East?

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind words. I'd like to recognize those who have dedicated the time and effort to make both the engine and twin turbocharger system programs possible: Jeff Kokovitch, John Thomasson, Tony Szirka, and the rest of the staff at ScienceofSpeed. The creativity and dedication to quality of these individuals have really made this possible.

cheers,
-- Chris

That must be fast. What were the numbers at 10 psi? 15psi? if you don't mind sharing.

Congrats and great work to everyone at SOS.

Rahim

I would really love to see some professional pictures of this car. It looks fantastic and congratulations with those impressive numbers.

Did you all only use one Aeromotive pump? If so, all other cars that I have seen would never come this close to supporting this horsepower on just one pump.

On the flip side, I bet many people would buy this body kit in carbon. I know that I would.

Dogg

Chris you guys should make more videos and put them on your youtube page. :biggrin: Nice work and, a nod at the thanks you gave the staff at SOS.

Did you all only use one Aeromotive pump? If so, all other cars that I have seen would never come this close to supporting this horsepower on just one pump.

On the flip side, I bet many people would buy this body kit in carbon. I know that I would.

Dogg

The CF was a one off for Seth's car. It was very expensive and hard to get "just right". I always wonder what Seth is doing these days. I don't believe SOS offers any variation of this product any longer and wonder if Chris has severed ties with Will Cantrell. Should have asked him while we were having drinks together.

Seths car wasn't a one off. There was one owned by nsx1(think that's his name). He had it at the nsx Midwest dinner in 06.

HTC EVO

We were blown away by the results. 819 horsepower and 679 lb/ft of torque at the wheels. That's 931 hp and 772 lb/ft of torque at the crankshaft.

Congrats on this incredible accomplishment Chris. Is there anything from this car that you would consider using to upgrade Charlotte considering it's been about a year and 15K miles since she had her work done?

Seths car wasn't a one off. There was one owned by nsx1(think that's his name). He had it at the nsx Midwest dinner in 06.

HTC EVO

Good memory. I was there. But for some reason I didn't think that it was the same kit as Seth's car. Maybe I'm wrong. Either way, I've always been jealous of both.

Congrats on this incredible accomplishment Chris. Is there anything from this car that you would consider using to upgrade Charlotte considering it's been about a year and 15K miles since she had her work done?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. 666 just seems so small now. :biggrin:

Are you coming to NSXcapades?

Back