• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My Snap Ring Broke

Crap, last night my snap ring started to fail. I could feel something was odd, so when I got home I check the snap ring. Sure enough I found about a 1" piece of the snap ring had broken off. The car is still drivable as most of the ring is still intact, but it can go at any time.

Bummer, not sure if I just want to replace the trans with a stock one, or spend the extra $4K for the 6-Speed.

Sorry to hear that the snap ring broke. If you plan to upgrade to a NA2 NSX later then I would just fix it to stock. You can then sell yours and buy mines :biggrin:. Kidding aside, more importantly is your safety and getting the NSX running safely again. I'm sure you'll get it fixed soon.

I have always thought to myself - I wonder how long it would last if you just replaced the broken snap ring? Another 15 years???

The car is still drivable as most of the ring is still intact, but it can go at any time.

Bummer, not sure if I just want to replace the trans with a stock one, or spend the extra $4K for the 6-Speed.
If you park it right away, you can probably get away with replacing just the snap ring and the half transmission case. If you keep driving it, then you'll probably have to replace the whole transmission.

If you park it right away, you can probably get away with replacing just the snap ring and the half transmission case. If you keep driving it, then you'll probably have to replace the whole transmission.

Yes, I parked it and wont drive it. Fortunately since I knew it was in range, I try to check it every time I change the oil. Last time I checked was about 2 months ago. I'm not too bummed though. I knew what I was getting into being that my 1st NSX was also a snap ring failure car that was properly repaired. It just suck that in Hawaii getting parts takes time and is expensive, and finding places that can work on NSXs is rare too.

sorry to hear about the snap ring issue Chris...hope you solve it soon

Last edited:
Well, just put in my order for a rebuilt trans from Science of Speed. Not sure how long it will take to arrive. I think about 4-6 weeks before my car is up and running again. Then I think I'll putbit up for sale and start looking for an NA2.

there's that blue NA2 for sale :smile:

i have my issues recently with my NSX so i feel like i'm almost in the same boat :redface:

News rebuilt trans from SOS is in. Now I just need to get it installed. Hopefully I can be up and driving just in time for Christmas when all the other poor NSX owners in cold climates are putting their cars away for the Winter.:biggrin:

New trans is installed along with a new Science of Speed Sports Clutch. The car is still in the shop getting the finishing touches on it, but I did get to start it up and go through the gears and feel the clutch while on the lift. Feels awesome. Clutch is near OEM like in pedal pressure, virtually the same IMHO. Trans shifts smooth. I can't wait to drive it.:biggrin:

What shop did you take your car too for the installation? Would you recommend them?

I took a chance and took it to my brother's friend Bob Sato in Waipahu. I took the chance 1) Because he was my brothers friend, and 2) Because it wasn't a transmission repair, but a transmission swap and clutch install. Also, they are old school mechanics that used to build hotrods and custom motorcycles and machine their own parts. I figure a transmission install would be easy.

That said, I am very pleased with the results. Transmission is in, clutch feels great, car drives great. They even bleed my brakes which wasn't part of the service. He said it was a PITA to do, but learned a lot about how the NSX is put together because of it. When I get my headers he will be doing the install on that too.

I heard that Acura and other transmission shops don't want to do this repair on the NSX and turn the job down. That might explain why Acura told me they would call me back and never did. I guess they didn't want to bother with it.

Nice, good to hear you're up and running again.

Would like to meet up with you one time and talk story.

let me know, haven't taken my car out in awhile. Always looking for a good reason (and when the weather is good) :biggrin:

Nice, good to hear you're up and running again.

Would like to meet up with you one time and talk story.

let me know, haven't taken my car out in awhile. Always looking for a good reason (and when the weather is good) :biggrin:

Sure, maybe first thing in January after the Holidays.

sorry, might be off topic. but does the snap ring problem happens to every na1 nsx? or just the 91-92 models?

It only happens on certain 91-92 cars. There was a certain machine that cut the groove in the transmission case that would drift out of tolerance overtime so transmission cases cut on the other machines are unaffected, and even transmissions cut on the defective machine could also be unaffected when that particular machine was in tolerance. Therefore, if you look on NSX Prime there is a list of potential "Snap Ring Failure" transmission numbers. Within these range of numbers, not all will fail, but all "Could" fail.

That said, once the snap ring failure is repaired properly, you will never have to worry about it again. Well, I wont say never, but it will be as good as a car that was NOT in snap ring failure range.

PS. The transmission numbers have nothing to do with the cars VIN number. You have to actually look at the serial number on the transmission case itself.

Last edited:
saw you driving down king street the other day, good to see your car back on the road! sounds like the new trans is working out great for you!

saw you driving down king street the other day, good to see your car back on the road! sounds like the new trans is working out great for you!

Thanks. Too bad we couldn't go cruising like the old days only with your NSX this time. Hopefully you get another soon. Since I got my car back just before Christmas, my Christmas present to myself (Besides the repair bill LOL) was to drive the car as much as possible. I put on about 600 miles on it already. :biggrin:

Back