• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

'94 wheels refinish for my '91

I just recently completed a project to refinish my '94 OEM wheels for my red/black '91.

Inspired by Oscar Driver, I selected a color slightly different from the OEM dark silver on the '94 wheels. I had wanted a color a bit darker than the '94 silver, but with a hint of gold/bronze.

I ended up with a color that is lighter than I had in my head but appealed to me when I started the project. The color had just a tiny hint of gold. In some light the wheels look silver; in other light the wheels look gold.

Here are some before/after shots. The wheels were chipped in many places and needed some help.

Before wheel. Notice the chips:
IMG_07571.JPG

After wheel, in the sun:
IMG_07642.JPG

After, in the shade. Notice it looks a little more silvery in the shade:
IMG_07631.JPG

After, whole car, shade:
IMG_0762.JPG

After, whole car, sun:
IMG_0761.JPG

Actually, in person the wheels look more bronze/gold than it appears in these pictures.

I am really happy with how it turned out. Now I just have to hope they hold up. :smile: Next is to install the Bilsteins on the lower spring perch for a small drop, and I should be good to go for 2011 NSXCapades in Orlando December 3-4! I hope to have that done in time. My crew chief and Track Rat co-driver, my son, is tied up right now installing the 2001 variable-valve-timing motor in the 1990 Track Rat Miata, should get us from 122RWHP to around 150 (currently has a 1996 motor in it)! (Stop laughing. It weighs in around 2000 lbs.) It's in the car but we're waiting on a fuel pressure regulator to finish that job so he can graciously turn his attention to my NSX Bilsteins. We have the rest of November to finish!

Comments welcome on the '94 wheels refinish.

Last edited:
Looks good, but I'm not a fan of factory wheels on the NSX. You wax makes the red look so awesome.

Thanks.

Per the can, it's a GM color:
Duplicolor BGM0490 Pewter Metallic (11WA382E) Replaces T408

I did not clear coat over the color and don't plan to. I will keep a good coat of wax on them.

AWESOME!!! I love your car's always so clean look ... and now looks "stock" yet with a *BIT* of aggressively ... just love it! Again, how about a 25mm spacer on the back? that would compliment the look and since you are lowering = win! :biggrin:

There's a bbq this weekend @ Ferrari Fort Lauderdale, please come! :)

Oscar

Looks good, but I'm not a fan of factory wheels on the NSX. You wax makes the red look so awesome.

Thanks. It's the result of six hours a few months ago with a Porter Cable polisher, #105 Meguiar's cutting compound, #205 finishing compound, and a coat of wax.

Too bad it has SO many rock chips on the side view mirrors, front fenders and hood (front bumper cover and valance have been repainted).

Thanks for the comment.

AWESOME!!! I love your car's always so clean look ... and now looks "stock" yet with a *BIT* of aggressively ... just love it! Again, how about a 25mm spacer on the back? that would compliment the look and since you are lowering = win! :biggrin:

There's a bbq this weekend @ Ferrari Fort Lauderdale, please come! :)

Oscar

Thanks, Oscar. I'm not a fan of using spacers. I'll check it out after we install the Bilsteins, though. I'd love to do the BBQ at Ferrari but I have an action-packed weekend already planned, committed nearly the whole weekend. Good problem to have, though. :biggrin:

Back