• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

First time post - Long time lurk

Hi there! I finally comitted to becoming a member :redface: I've been quietly searching for "the one". I don't really have a timeline. If the deal of a lifetime came up this afternoon, I'd buy ... then again, I could still be searching for a long time. I turn 50, next summer. My youngest goes off to college next year... so I need a hobbie. I've always loved cars, and consider myself to have a pretty good eye for a fine car.

I met a few of you guys about a month ago at my local Acura dealer as I was getting my MDX serviced, they were having an NSX get-together. I got a chance to see several different cars, and talk to a few of the owners to get a feel for what to look for and what to avoid when it comes to searching out the car that I eventually buy. I have a few criteria that I'd like to get feedback on, and I know that some of these have been beaten on, so please spare me the flames, but if you feel you have something to share, I'd really appreciate it :smile:

1. Price - Like everyone else, I don't really want to overpay. I can afford the car I want, but I'm really torn by what is the "right" price for a clean, unmolested example. I see cars (91-93) with 80K - 100K miles for anywhere from $23 - $26K... then there are 2 cars in my locale '91 Blk/Blk with 21K miles asking $39K, and a '93 Red/Blk one owner 21K miles for $38K. Both of those cars look good, but I really think priced too high. Assume both have good records. And it's not uncommon to see '98+ in the low $40's Thoughts?

2. Car / Mileage - Again, I know that higher mileage car with good records is not necessarily something to shy away from... but actually the really low miles probably scare me more just because of the time sitting. I plan to drive it... not necessarily daily, but I definitely plan to enjoy it. Maybe 5K miles /yr. Is it worth it to pay a premium for a one-owner low mileage car? Or skip all that crap and buy '98+ with 3.2 / 6sp for basically same $$ as one of the garage queens?

3. Value- This is not a car that you buy for transportation - aka I don't 'need" it. With that in mind, I want to be buying a car that will at least hold it's value if not appreciate. Due to the limited quantity available, I don't think it's a stretch to think that will be a given. So which cars are the best value for me? Older car/Higher mile, Older car/Lower miles, Newer car/low-mid miles.

4. Color - Anything but yellow... no offense, just not my taste. See lots of Red, lots of Black... love'em both, but would like to have something different. Silver?

A lot depends on whether you want a coupe or targa model. That narrows things down a bit. Personally, I would keep my eye on the early cars (91-93) with low mileage (50-80k) that have all the maintenance records. That way you know what has been done and elimates the guess work. These cars have already seen the depreciation...plus there are many more to choose from. Having lower miles you will notice less seat bolster wear and better paint condition assuming it was garaged.

I have driven both NA1 and NA2 cars and to be honest you would have to be a pretty good driver to notice a big difference between the two in regards to power...besides the obvious extra gear in the NA2. By adding headers and a good exhaust you can easily make up the 20 HP the NA1s are lacking.

If you plan to do mods later on, the OBDI diagnostics with the 91-94 is a plus.

Thanks Big D
I don't really have a preference coupe to targa, and I appreciate your comments about the power difference between NA1 & NA2 cars. I definitely would be adding a good exhaust setup if it doesn't already have one ... I'm probably most concerned about value.
So in your opinion, buying the proverbial garage queen then driving it, will depreciate it faster than buying a well cared for higher miles car. As stated previously, I want a car to drive, not sit in my garage, AND the only way to justify having a car like this is if I can get my $$ back out of it if necessary. I think that confirms my thoughts about buying a super low mile car.

Is it just me, or what kind of gremlins could be lurking on a low mile car that just never had a chance to bubble up with some normal usage? :confused:
Hello snap ring?

Thanks Big D
I don't really have a preference coupe to targa, and I appreciate your comments about the power difference between NA1 & NA2 cars. I definitely would be adding a good exhaust setup if it doesn't already have one ... I'm probably most concerned about value.
So in your opinion, buying the proverbial garage queen then driving it, will depreciate it faster than buying a well cared for higher miles car. As stated previously, I want a car to drive, not sit in my garage, AND the only way to justify having a car like this is if I can get my $$ back out of it if necessary. I think that confirms my thoughts about buying a super low mile car.

Is it just me, or what kind of gremlins could be lurking on a low mile car that just never had a chance to bubble up with some normal usage? :confused:
Hello snap ring?

These things come to mind...

Window regulators
Snap ring as mentioned
A/C climate control
Bose speakers

Other things to think about:
TB/WP + acc belts
Hoses

Good luck with your search, I think if you are going to drive it a lot then, yes you will see significant depreciation with a garage queen vs one with higher miles.

Low mileage cars always seem to command a premium. So if you were planning on putting a heap of miles on it, it doesn't make sense to me to spend the extra money.

If you are concerned with value, then I recommend buying a car that has been modified to your liking but also includes the OEM parts. That way, when you want to sell the car later you can either do the same, or put the car back to stock and then sell the aftermarket parts separately.

Typical things that go wrong on the early cars are...
A/C climate control unit and sometimes evaporator
Window regulators
Stereo system amps
ABS system
Coolant resovoir leaking

For the snap ring, just pay attention to the transmission # and don't get a car that is within that range.

These cars are pretty darn reliable, so as long is there is documented maintenance records, I wouldn't worry too much about buying.

46077 NSX; 4. Color - Anything but yellow... no offense said:
+1 on the silver -love it....doesn't jump out at you like some colors, which is a bit of a con at times, but the pro is it isalways tasteful and in style, regardless if you get out of it with cutoffs and tank top and big Oakley shades, or pulling up for valet at a high end restaurant in an expensive suit....doesn't show dust all that easy, and was always my overall first/favorite choice in colors to seek when I was looking.

I used a process of elimination, and stuck to it until it came up....

1) silver
2) pop up headlights
3) manual
4) removable roof
5) 6 speed
6) condition above average
7) owner history/service history
8) no deffered maintenance
9) nothing significantly modified (stuff that couldn't be put back to OEM with ease)
10) within my maximum budget and maximum mileage of 50,000 miles & dollars

Then, based on the reccomendation of Tim (Tbromley) just played the waiting game and bought the best, lowest mileage NSX I could find that met all the above - took 3 years off and on, and almost strayed from my list at times...but avoided the temptation, and it eventually showed up...

+1 on the silver -love it....doesn't jump out at you like some colors, which is a bit of a con at times, but the pro is it isalways tasteful and in style, regardless if you get out of it with cutoffs and tank top and big Oakley shades, or pulling up for valet at a high end restaurant in an expensive suit....doesn't show dust all that easy, and was always my overall first/favorite choice in colors to seek when I was looking.

I used a process of elimination, and stuck to it until it came up....

1) silver
2) pop up headlights
3) manual
4) removable roof
5) 6 speed
6) condition above average
7) owner history/service history
8) no deffered maintenance
9) nothing significantly modified (stuff that couldn't be put back to OEM with ease)
10) within my maximum budget and maximum mileage of 50,000 miles & dollars

Then, based on the reccomendation of Tim (Tbromley) just played the waiting game and bought the best, lowest mileage NSX I could find that met all the above - took 3 years off and on, and almost strayed from my list at times...but avoided the temptation, and it eventually showed up...

46077 NSX, I like this top 10 list. Suggest you customize it to your taste and then go on the hunt to find (may take you some time). As for price relative to value for money the answer is "it depends". It depends on the package/condition of the car offered for sale. From there you can assess the "value for money". Good luck in your search. siD

Hi there! I finally comitted to becoming a member :redface: I've been quietly searching for "the one". I don't really have a timeline. If the deal of a lifetime came up this afternoon, I'd buy ... then again, I could still be searching for a long time. I turn 50, next summer. My youngest goes off to college next year... so I need a hobbie. I've always loved cars, and consider myself to have a pretty good eye for a fine car.

I met a few of you guys about a month ago at my local Acura dealer as I was getting my MDX serviced, they were having an NSX get-together. I got a chance to see several different cars, and talk to a few of the owners to get a feel for what to look for and what to avoid when it comes to searching out the car that I eventually buy. I have a few criteria that I'd like to get feedback on, and I know that some of these have been beaten on, so please spare me the flames, but if you feel you have something to share, I'd really appreciate it :smile:

1. Price - Like everyone else, I don't really want to overpay. I can afford the car I want, but I'm really torn by what is the "right" price for a clean, unmolested example. I see cars (91-93) with 80K - 100K miles for anywhere from $23 - $26K... then there are 2 cars in my locale '91 Blk/Blk with 21K miles asking $39K, and a '93 Red/Blk one owner 21K miles for $38K. Both of those cars look good, but I really think priced too high. Assume both have good records. And it's not uncommon to see '98+ in the low $40's Thoughts?

2. Car / Mileage - Again, I know that higher mileage car with good records is not necessarily something to shy away from... but actually the really low miles probably scare me more just because of the time sitting. I plan to drive it... not necessarily daily, but I definitely plan to enjoy it. Maybe 5K miles /yr. Is it worth it to pay a premium for a one-owner low mileage car? Or skip all that crap and buy '98+ with 3.2 / 6sp for basically same $$ as one of the garage queens?

3. Value- This is not a car that you buy for transportation - aka I don't 'need" it. With that in mind, I want to be buying a car that will at least hold it's value if not appreciate. Due to the limited quantity available, I don't think it's a stretch to think that will be a given. So which cars are the best value for me? Older car/Higher mile, Older car/Lower miles, Newer car/low-mid miles.

4. Color - Anything but yellow... no offense, just not my taste. See lots of Red, lots of Black... love'em both, but would like to have something different. Silver?

Did this happen to be over at Ed Martin Acura? If so, I was there with my Grand Prix White NSX.

Getting an early car with super low mileage, records, and no paintwork done to it, will probably be in the low to mid-$30k range. You could probably get one for less, but if you find a wonderful car, buy it and don't nickle and dime for a needle in a haystack. Enjoy the car and be happy.

How many miles per year do you intend to drive it? If it is only 3k - 5k miles per year, then that is a certain mileage range of car to look for. If you are like me and drive your NSX through everything rain, sleet, and snow, then you will put 15k - 20k miles per year on it at least, and would have no use to buy a super low mileage car, but would instead be looking for a nice 50k mile car or so. This is an important factor to consider.

Have you driven an NSX yet? Just curious if you have been bitten by 'the bug'. :)

One thing you didn't share with us is what your budget is. Without that I have a little bit of trouble giving you the best advice I can. A lot depends on what you have to spend. For example if you have 45k as a top budget +/- then I would recommend an NA2 and there are several reasons for that but when you get to cars the best advice is always to find the newest, best conditioned, lowest mile car you can afford. Buy from an individual that has records and you really can't go wrong. These cars are great cars and give great service but the older they get and the more miles that go on the more you'll have to look at to keep it in great shape as well as having to get it in the shape you want it if it's not been totally kept up currently with maintenance.

The NA2 has a lot going for it - it's got more modern ABS for one thing. Not only that even though Big D made some great points - the NA2 is just newer - by as much as 10 years and that's a lot of years as far as just aging. Big D maybe correct on the speed angle with headers added to the NA1 but there is more to it than that. The AC is newer and all the stereo components as well. If it were me and I had the budget of 40k to 50k I'd be looking at NA2s - simple as that. If you're budget is 35k max - then it will have to be an NA1 - but I'd still opt for the newest one in the price I could find. A good mix of miles and age for the NA1 puts you in 95 or 96 unless you really want a coupe. If that's the case then go for a 93 or 94 but super low milers will cost you. If I had to pick between a low mile NA1 as in 25k to 35k miles or an NA2 with 50k to 70k miles I'd still opt for the NA2 simply because it's newer. You can do a lot of things to these cars mechanically but you can't roll back time nor the odometer.

You aren't putting a lot of miles on the car at 3k to 5k a year. You have to drive the car to put 5k on it - more than you think. That's not a lot of miles per year and it will stay young a long time at that rate. Find one that has been driven that way for as few years as you can afford. That's the classic best advice one can get, imho.

Sylcurt - had a good list - read it and think on it. You'll make the decision that is right for you - but be patient, it will come.

Good luck!

I'm glad I saw this thread. Like 46077 NSX I'm in the same exact place, where I want to find an NSX, that I can put on 5-8k miles a year, but don't want to pay a premium for a low mileage car. With a budget of ~$38k I know finding a 97-99 is a big stretch, but I would love to take a NA2 home.

If you aren't going to go mod-happy and chase extra horsepower, I'd encourage you to get an NA2 w/ 6 speed, 97-05

Although, certainly less of them out there compared to 91-96 models based solely on production numbers

whatever you choose to pursue, do your purchaser's due diligence and get a qualified PPI performed on the mechanicals

I second Tbromley's statement that if you are in the 40-50K range, you can get yourself a very nice NA2 model, just be ready to snap it up when it appears since you have folks just like you ready to buy with cash in hand when the time is right.

Another good point that was brought up. Do you want a coupe or a targa top? I, for example, would never buy a targa top. To me the car was designed to be a coupe, the best handling is from the coupes, and the targa top was simply brought along to spur sluggish sales and cater to cruisers looking to be seen more than hard core drivers. Just know what you want from the car. If you want something to simply cruise around in that is fast and unique, but you are not looking to be the next race track junkie, then the targa is fine. If you want the maximum in structural rigidity and lowest weight, and plan to hit the track regularly, then the coupe is the obvious choice.

If you decide that you are a coupe guy, then the NA2 NSX is the perfect storm for most people. Coupe body, more power, and so rare it is almost comical. This is also where you would find the Zanardi NSX to hold value for you. Remember that even in the coupes, there is a major difference in steering feel between the standard NA1 and the NA2 coupes. This is due to the NA1 coupes with manual transmissions having a manual steering rack (which is awesome for steering feel, but heavy at low speeds), and the NA2 coupes having an electric power assisted steering (lighter feel, but for me it takes away some of the purity of the car....with the exception of the Zanardi).

So figure what you really want, and how you plan to drive it, then the search becomes more focused.

Last edited:
Did this happen to be over at Ed Martin Acura? If so, I was there with my Grand Prix White NSX.

Have you driven an NSX yet? Just curious if you have been bitten by 'the bug'. :)

Yes it was at Ed Martin Acura. I remember your car. I talked to Brian (Source1?) I was relating my thoughts about finding a special car in the near future, you know, going back & forth about older 911's or NSX's. Actually he suggested I buy the 911 first, that way when I sold it for the eventual NSX, I wouldn't regret it - HA!
As far as being "bitten", not officially. So if you're offerin', I'll certainly take you up on it. I know a guy here in town that has purchased one recently. He doesn't know I'm looking, but I'm sure he'll give me some seat time.

Thanks for all the input, all are well thought out responses and give me quite a few things to consider. I do appreciate all of your opinions. So I guess I've narrowed it down to a low mileage, well maintained, NA2, for about $30K. :tongue: J/K

I've got a while.

Yes it was at Ed Martin Acura. I remember your car. I talked to Brian (Source1?) I was relating my thoughts about finding a special car in the near future, you know, going back & forth about older 911's or NSX's. Actually he suggested I buy the 911 first, that way when I sold it for the eventual NSX, I wouldn't regret it - HA!
As far as being "bitten", not officially. So if you're offerin', I'll certainly take you up on it. I know a guy here in town that has purchased one recently. He doesn't know I'm looking, but I'm sure he'll give me some seat time.

Thanks for all the input, all are well thought out responses and give me quite a few things to consider. I do appreciate all of your opinions. So I guess I've narrowed it down to a low mileage, well maintained, NA2, for about $30K. :tongue: J/K

I've got a while.

Shoot your phone number my way and we will get you behind the wheel of my 1994 while it is still semi-nice out weather wise. I think it would help you get a feel for what you want. The ONLY way to truly appreciate this car is to drive it, and wind it out into VTEC and the 8,000 RPM red line and HEAR that engine sing. :)

I have been down the 911 road too, and it is all personal preference. I do like how unique the NSX is. So eventhough I will almost certainly be getting a 911 Twin Turbo soon, the NSX will be staying with me for as long as I am still breathing. I love it that much.

Last edited:
I just bought an NSX and my only regret is that I did not do it sooner, it is an amazing car! After doing much research I went on a quest for a "3.2 1997-2001 Targa" I too was flexible on the color, but wanted to try to find one that had a color combo with a low production numbers (which you can find on nsx prime, search "production numbers"). If you are more flexible and like red I thought this was one of the cleanest non-targa cars out there, and there are 2-3 really clean ones on Auto Trader with low miles right now:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ype=b&cardist=285&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

Another issue about the NSX that is appealing is that you are probably more limited on your down side risk, especially if the car is super clean, because those cars usually sell fast and in a few days.. So, if you buy one and decide you dont want it in a few years you can probably sell it easily, and for close to what you paid for it as they become more rare, and public interest is rekindled with the new NSX coming in 2013. That is not always the case with modern italian cars, and they can be difficult to sell with prospective owners obsessed with Belts/clutch questions and the potential for a 10k+ repair bill along the way..

Last edited:
Tim is right, without a budget it is hard to know what is a good value for you. From your posts, it doesn't sound like you are a track nut or interested in heavy engine/power mods, so an early NA1 coupe is probably not the best choice unless you cannot go over $30k from a budget standpoint. If that is the case, then there are many nice 91-94 cars available from $25k to $30k.

From your posts, I get the impression you really want to just have the NSX experience and intend to drive often and live with the car. If that is true, then I humbly suggest a 95 or 96 T as the best value option. A good example is this car, which recently went on sale in the Marketplace. The 95 and 96 cars have a lot of really nice little improvements that make it a much more liveable NSX than the relatively harsh coupes. Obviously, the T top is a big thing, as it makes a nice weather drive much more fun. The car is OBDII drive-by-wire, which helps with engine diagnositcs and throttle response. Also, there is the slightly shortened 2nd gear, which while not as good as the JDM gear stack, does improve the gear shift sporting experience over the USIM coupes. The 95-96 transmission also uses a torque-sensitive helical differential, which locks more tightly as you press the gas. This is an improvement over the early cars, which use a pre-set spring loaded diff. Finally, you get electric power steering, which makes the car much more liveable as a daily driver.

A clean 95 or 96 T with up to date maintenence will go for $30k to $35k and is a true buy it and drive it NSX experience. Due to age, you may need to do some of the amp, ABS and CCU fixes, but overall you will have a NSX that you can drive regularly and not worry. Just keep good tread on the tires, change the fluids regularly and it will not let you down. If you need a little more oomph, slap a set of headers on it.

A 97+ NA2 T is not a good value compared to the 95-96, since it commands about a $10k premium. Unless the 3.2 and 6-speed is critical to you, it's not worth it in my book. The new ABS did not appear until 2001, so the pool of available cars with that improvement is small (about 100).

well I got my 92 2.5 years ago for 21K 100+miles now its worth more in my eyes

tb/wp hoses clutch etc. etc all done brand new 16/17 OEM rims,
full 02 interior conversion, 02 rear valance/lights, 02 oem side skirts, doors etc. I think my NSX went up in value, I would say its worth 35K now

but dont quote me

Last edited:
A 97+ NA2 T is not a good value compared to the 95-96, since it commands about a $10k premium. Unless the 3.2 and 6-speed is critical to you, it's not worth it in my book. The new ABS did not appear until 2001, so the pool of available cars with that improvement is small (about 100).

Both Tim & others have given you some good advise. It seems for you the NSX-T is the way to go and enjoy.

Those low mile early modles on your opening post at $38 & $39k seem a little high. Maybe they will get the premium, or it could be the owners starting point price, or they aren't too concerned about selling and will continue to enjoy the car and if it sells it sells. Why shoot, for those prices I could be tempted to sell mine, but my wife would shoot me, it has sentimental value to her.

Maybe the market value is moving up? I haven't been following prices too closely, since I'm not in the market for another one and not looking to sell.

I was in a similar position as you. I purchased mine in 08 at age 49. I believe I got a very good deal & haven't regretted it. My trans is in the snap ring range, I was told it had been repaired, but the owner didn't have receipts or proof. But I figured all that into the price.

I wouldn't write off all snap ring cars, if you can get it for a good price.. it could end up giving you a good reason to get the short gears :smile: Then again, if you take long trips it would be a PITA to break down in the middle of nowhere.

Batman on another post shared some positive things about the older coupes & for the money you save get some tasteful mods and more performance... etc.

I initially thought I would want a NSX-T but after thinking it through, I'm probably better off with the coupe, having already had skin cancer removed. I use to live at the beach & in the sun. So for me it is better to keep my knog'n covered.

Enjoy the hunt. I'm sure you will find one that will be something you can enjoy... spend hours drooling over it in your garage, etc.

- Rod

Welcome! If you haven't already found it, make sure you check out the NSX Wiki (off the red action bar at the top of most pages) for lots of useful NSX-related information...especially the "Purchasing an NSX" section. The Wiki is a work in progress but lots of good stuff there for new owners.

I've got a while.

Welcome, I too was at the ed martin meet with the black '94

Would this local guy in town happen to have a 2002-2005 Red nsx? I spotted one at the Carmel Mejier area a few weeks back and didnt know there was another nsx owner in town, could have been a new purchase.

-jackson

Welcome, I too was at the ed martin meet with the black '94

Would this local guy in town happen to have a 2002-2005 Red nsx? I spotted one at the Carmel Mejier area a few weeks back and didnt know there was another nsx owner in town, could have been a new purchase.

-jackson

I didn't get a chance to speak with you... but I remember your car. LOVE the LM's!

The guy I'm speaking of is here in Zville... has a '93 Blk/Blk. He just bought it last spring... saw him cruising around last Saturday. Goes by BAG here on the forum (Hi Brice!)

Back