• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pursuing happiness=Building my dream car

attachment.php
[/IMG]
DSCN3196.jpg

Getting a lot of pms and emails about my new gpw nsx, so I think I should start a build thread about this awesome project.
Just like all of you, getting a NSX is my dream since when I was in college. I went to the Auto show and I saw my future dream car back in the 90's. So 10 yrs later, in 2002 I purchased my first NSX. It was a black 97 with 7000 miles.:eek: Did the wheels, exhaust, dropped with spring and WW kit. Met some great nsx owners along the way. That nsx didn't make me happy, so I sold it after about 2 yrs. And months later I purchased my second very rare and low milage 2000 Monaco Blue NSX.
http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83943
Well again, that didn't last long. Sold it again just after about 2 years. So after that I have purchased and sold many more toys even got the 500hp Supra thing, none of them do it for me..:tongue:

In 2011, I realized after all these years, the nsx is the only special car that I keep thinking about. I want another nsx, but this one is going to be a keeper. I am going to build the car I truly want. Did not set a budget for this build, going all out.
I start looking for the right car to build on, did the 97 and 2000 model years already. I am going to get a 02+ this time. Well no more black or blue.....been there done that. So what color to get? I always love a white car,and I love the type R. The problem is I want my type R build to be a little more aggressive than the OEM offer both in term of looks and power.
Well, that's when I met Brian from Source 1. He found me a perfect mint 02 nsx just the way I want it. Well almost the way I want it.
To be con't .......

Attachments

• blknsx.jpg
    blknsx.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,964
Last edited:
and away we good! looking forward to going 'ohhhhh and ahhhhhh' after every post.

ps your blue nsx looked GREAT and tastefully done.

Tommy said " to be continued" here is the continued part :)

Tommy called me less than an hour after posting my Silverstone 02 for sale and we had a deal arranged within 24 hours on a Almost perfect 02 NSX.
25.jpg

20.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

After securing the deposit we continued to discuss the car. Tommy was telling me he had owned a couple NSX’s prior and that he really wanted a white 02+ but he could not find one available. We talked about how rare they are and how beautiful they are when done correctly. I agree because white is by far my favorite color on an NSX. We talked about what NSX we would build if we had our choice and both of our visions were near identical. Tommy began asking about what I would do to the silver car modification wise if I was going to keep it. We talked about how near perfect his recently purchased NSX is. And how it would be even more perfect if it was white and decked out with all the type r goodies. Within a few days Tommy called and said” I want that car to be a Type R! I was confused as to what he meant obviously because this car was silverstone. I figured he wanted to get an R wing and maybe a hood or something… NOPE Tommy was determined to build HIS CAR. THE ONE he had dreamed of. A complete R Conversion ( short of making it a coupe). :eek:

I was slightly taken back because this meant a huge amount of work and dedication, not to mention budget. After a couple days of going back and forth and discussing amounts of this build and time it would take we agreed and the “ Dream build” began!
We started by stripping the car. To the original carcas. Basically all parts that were removeable came off of this vehicle. All bolts and parts were labeled and bagged as to not miss a thing on re-installation.
image58.jpg

image60.jpg

image59.jpg

image57.jpg

image55.jpg

image54.jpg

image49.jpg

We knew the level of perfection Tommy wanted and we were determined to achieve that goal. After complete teardown ( yes motor pulled all accessories pulled out of all bays etc.) We sent it to a local bodyshop we use here at Source 1 that does really good work with aluminum. Tommy wanted an OEM or better paint job. The body shop had all of our requests down and started work.
image50.jpg

image4-1.png

image3-1.png

image52.jpg

image51.jpg

image47.jpg

image46.jpg

image45.jpg

image43.jpg

image44.jpg

image6-1.png

During the time while the car was in the bodyshop we started accumulating parts for the build. We actually had an entire 15x18 ft office dedicated to all the parts off this car. All parts were stocked in and checked off as they arrived. It was like Christmas every day here at Source 1. Incredible NSX mods showing up even more than usual. It was great!

After about 6 weeks in the bodyshop the car came back to us with fresh paint and looking like it had just been the latest car to be found in a back alley after a long night spent in an LA chop shop…

We immediately started tackling the re-install of all the basics. Engine, transmission, electronics, brakes etc all went back on. Turned the key after a fresh Acura battery install and it started right up. Just the way an NSX should. Then the really fun part started… Installing all of these amazing parts that had shown up. We had boxes and boxes ripped apart and parts going on this thing every minute of every day for the next week and a half. We were still waiting on an amazing set of wheels to show up so we used a set we had in stock as temporaries.
Then those beautiful wheels came in from Forged 1. Perfect offsets. Perfect look.
image35.jpg

When they were put on it was the completion of the product and the fullfillment of Tommy’s dream. I very proud moment for us at Source 1. These are the first pics Tommy saw of his car with the wheels installed.
image37.jpg

image36.jpg

image30.jpg

The level of dedication Tommy had to make his dream NSX was amazing, He had a vision and stood by it all the way through. The car turned out simply incredible ( in my very biased opinion ) but I am sure you folks can respect the attention to detail and process this build took!

Some more pics!
image31.jpg

image29.jpg

image28.jpg

image27.jpg

image26.jpg

image25.jpg

image42.jpg

image39.jpg

image33.jpg

image32.jpg

DSCN3314.jpg

DSCN3199.jpg

DSCN3186.jpg

DSCN3126-1.jpg

IMG_20111107_154515-1.jpg

IMG_20111107_150900.jpg

IMG_20111107_141942.jpg

image23.jpg

image15.jpg

image23.jpg

image17.jpg

image13.jpg

image8.jpg

image4.jpg

image-1.jpg

So in the end here is the Mod list when Tommy bought the car:

MODS As they were when Tommy bought the car:
Comptech Supercharger ( 6 lb )
Comptech PG2 Clutch
Brembo INDY front brake kit
Rear crossdrilled rotors
Comptech anodized red rear strut bar
Ark DTS Exhaust
Comptech headers
Downforce Carbon Fiber engine vent
Downforce Carbon Fiber/Lexan engine cover
( also have the OEM targa holder )
Downforce Carbon fiber Sill plates
Downforce Carbon Fiber Front cowl assembly WITH HEPA FILTER
Downforce Front lip spoiler painted body match
OEM Type R shift boot
OEM S2000 CR shift knob ( numbers custom painted red)
Grom Ipod cable
Viper Alarm ( proximity detected)

And how it sits now along with all of the above^^

Downforce NSX-R Seats
Downforce AIS intake
Downforce Rear diffuser ( Large one )
Downforce NSX-R rear spoiler with brake light
Downforce/Stacy's side skirts
Downforce Carbon side splitters for side skirts
Downforce NSX-R hood frp top Carbon bottom
Downforce NSX-R hood duct carbon fiber
Downforce NSX-R front under body aero kit
NSX-R decals for rear wing
OEM JDM Black coolant tank cover
OEM NSX short gear stalk
OEM Red NSX-R badges
OEM NSX-R door badges
Comptech Carbon Fiber air box ( top and bottom)
Umbrella Auto Design VRH KIT-All 4 corners
BC Coilover kit
Procar rear chassis bar
OEM NSX-R front chassis bars
SOS brushed guage rings
LIV Auto LED lights ( interior/Exterior )
Source 1 Automotive Hand cut 3M Clear bra
Tfent Red NSX-R carpet kit
SOS – Seat rails
SOS Short shift kit
MOMO tuner 350mm NSX-R Horn button with cruise buttons
Tfent red NSX-R carpet
OEM S2000 antenna
Rays black lug nuts
Forged 1 five split custom wheels ( Centers GPW w/red trim)
18x8 +37 1.5 inch lip Front / 19x10 +29 3.5 inch lip Rear
Goodyear Eagle F1 tires
215/40/18 / 275/35/19

Couple BIG thanks to throw out there.

1. To Tommy for having a vision and making it happen and choosing us here at Source 1 to build it for you!
2. Downforce, Peter and Thomas really handled everything very well as this was a HUGE order and a slim timeline. Thanks guys!!
3.Ravi, Thanks for the VRH kit and BC's also getting it all to me in time.
4. SOS, You guys were awesome to deal with like usual.

And another HUGE thanks to all of my employees that walked on egg shells around parts and this car for 3 months. And to Justin for putting in all the labor to make it as perfect as Tommy wanted.

Last edited:
bigger pictures!!!! this badboy is in dire need of a professional photoshoot!

Last edited:
This car looks amazing!!!!

I'd love to see it in person. It's quite an accomplishment to have a car customized completely the way you want it and I'm sure it it feels great.

Props to the Source1 guys. It's obviously not their first day.

Congrats.

OH, yeah. This car look so much nicer in person. I still smiling even now after 7 days. Sooo happy about this build. Brain and his team are AWESOME. The works they have performed on this car and the way the car looks is just leaving me speechless.

Last edited:
nice work guys.

That car came out great. The window tint makes me really jealous. I would get pulled over all the time here in PA. It happened with my MR2 when I had 15% on all my windows but it looked soooo cool. Also it seemed to keep the inside cooler. Damn cops lol.

THATS what it is.

i was wondering what made the black roof look so slick. the window tint.

That car came out great. The window tint makes me really jealous. I would get pulled over all the time here in PA. It happened with my MR2 when I had 15% on all my windows but it looked soooo cool. Also it seemed to keep the inside cooler. Damn cops lol.

I love it, Brian, you guys did an amazing job! Tommy, I'm so glad to have you back in the scene. I've got a semi-professional photographer friend that is going to snap shots of my car when I get my wheels.

Tommy, you down for a photoshoot??? Black and white, the old and the new! Let's do it! :biggrin:

like a jet fighter! :big grin:
This car is so damn sick in person, this is the first time I notice a nsx that turn women's head. No joke! I was like wow.

Last edited:
Oh Z, hell yeah!! this is going to be awesome!!! I am in. Ebony and Ivory :big grin:lol.
Z, this is so ON like DONKEY KONG.

Last edited:
Wow I had no idea this was the same car!!

I had inquired about this car months back for my buddy and had a brief conversation with you regarding it. Car looks great awesome work!!

Oh Z, hell yeah!! this is going to be awesome!!! I am in. Ebony and Ivory :big grin:lol.
Z, this is so ON like DONKEY KONG.

Tommy, I will be in touch. He's a huge NSX fan as well, and has been shopping lately. So this will be a treat for him to snap shots of our cars.

Thanks everyone! Zishan, please get in touch with your friend I would really love to see some good pics!

Tommy, so happy your enjoying the car :)

Brian, just waiting on the wheels we talked about....should be shipping any day now. Thanks for your help regarding my questions as well. :smile:

Tommy, I will be in touch. He's a huge NSX fan as well, and has been shopping lately. So this will be a treat for him to snap shots of our cars.

Brian, just waiting on the wheels we talked about....should be shipping any day now. Thanks for your help regarding my questions as well. :smile:

No problem at all!

I knew you were up to something tommy. Congrats man. Can't wait to see it in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back