• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2012 F1 Thread...

What is wrong with Jenson Button?

Lack of engine power?

Poor setup?

Wrong driving style to get the most out of the tires?

With McLaren's budget, they can do a detailed study of the tire in the lab and tell the drivers how to get the most out of them.

Re: Off the top........

and from the cheap seats in the peanut gallery, it looks obvious........

JB has always been smooth and easy on tires. Don't know about Monaco, but with the smooth surfaced track this weekend, the problem for all drivers is not getting heat into the tires, right? Everyone was weaving around trying to make even the super softs work. I think we saw this with him back in the Brawn domination year.......couldn't get the tires warmed up enough to work.

The Pirelli wheel of fortune is just not smiling on him this weekend. Maybe some rain or fortuitous off the wall pit strategy will get him up front. He'll need some luck it appears.

With all due respect to his reestablished highness, Mr. Vettel, it could still be anybody's race, so I'm pulling for the lowest, most pitied, most disrespected driver out there; the loveable Flippy Massa.

Ha !! thought I was gonna say Schumi, right? :rolleyes:

Very unexpected finish must be very frustrating being Fernando today.Good race for Lewis and Ceco.
First 3 places after 7 races in 3 points difference!

I can't believe the Ferrari stategy. 3 laps after Hamilton's 2nd stop Alonso had a 14+ second lead which is what he had before the first stop and he came out ahead of Hamilton. My only thought is Ferrari believed that Red Bull was on a 1 stop race. As Vettel pitted early I figure that was hard to attempt.

An exciting season, and good to see Massa running better now.

Miner

Re: Are they still drivers? or merely vehicle operators?

The race today illustrated again that drivers now are no more important than tire changers. All they have to do (or get to do) is drive around and not crash. The key people on any team now are not the drivers or engineers, but the tire strategists. End of discussion. How much longer will Bernie and crew allow or cause this go on?

And does anyone think it was ironic that while Fred became totally unimportant because his tire strategist guessed wrong, the lowly Indy Car drivers were very happy with their rules that put them back in control at their race.

What was that trolling comment that F-1 is boring? :biggrin: Oh yeah, here it is.

Formula 1 sucks. It's almost as boring as watching paint dry. That being said, it will fail miserably in the U.S.

Re: Are they still drivers? or merely vehicle operators?

The race today illustrated again that drivers now are no more important than tire changers. All they have to do (or get to do) is drive around and not crash.

Must say that I disagree with you.To win race must all be complete fast car,pit strategy, tyre management and good driver.
Tyres become more important than past years but without good car it's difficult to win race.

I watched the speed replay in the evening and Alonso had a 15.5 second lead for the first round of pit stops, and since Hamilton passed him on the straight away, I figure the team believed the same thing would have happened had they stopped. A second place would have been better than 5th. I think they changed strategy hoping the tires would last. They needed 6 more laps out of the second set.

Miner

But the tires are kept warm in the garage before they are put onto the car. JB shouldn't be asked to do some additional maneuver to further warm them up. MS has it right this season: the tires are too dominating, and they don't allow the driver to show everyone what the car can do. I don't like to watch this type of racing.

Re: Top 10 reasons JB's in the back

1) he forgot how to drive...
2) his engineer is too stoned to figure it out,
3) he's just not into it anymore..........
4) he's conserving fuel

You might be as sick of it as everyone else is, but........I'll say it again.

JB's number will come up again on The Pirelli Wheel of Fortune . He's simply been unlucky with the compound/track/temperature/graining factors totally outside of his control.

But luck (AKA some Pirelli chemist) will smile on him again. Keep the faith.

And if you really wanted to get down about it, you could fear that Bernie will be paying Pirelli chemists to come up with tires that will put Sergio or RoGro on the top step of the podium next. I mean, why stop at 8 different winners in 8 races? All part of the business plan. :tongue:

Re: JB's got a plan

He's slacking to get outta his brand new lucrative Macca contract so he can slide on over to the Red Cars and show up Fred.

I read it in the grocery store line just yesterday.

Where you been? Besides slacking on this thread?:rolleyes:

Attachments

• explanation.jpg
    explanation.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 34
Re: JB's got a plan

He's slacking to get outta his brand new lucrative Macca contract so he can slide on over to the Red Cars and show up Fred.

I read it in the grocery store line just yesterday.

Where you been? Besides slacking on this thread?:rolleyes:

:biggrin: Sorry Ted. Won't happen again. So what have I missed (discussion wise)?

I'm bummed about JB too :(

But I'm HAPPY for Checo!! I hope the kid can keep it up!! :biggrin:

Re: Same ol', same ol'

:biggrin: Sorry Ted. Won't happen again. So what have I missed (discussion wise)?
Oh not much actually. I keep gnashing my teeth over the Pirelli tire trickery and everyone else tells me I'm exaggerating. Situation normal. :wink:

So where have you been? On an extended honeymoon in Rio?

I'm bummed about JB too :(
Might shed some light on why JB's been so off pace.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/06/whats-happened-to-jenson-buttons-form/

Oh not much actually. I keep gnashing my teeth over the Pirelli tire trickery and everyone else tells me I'm exaggerating. Situation normal. :wink:
:biggrin: You mean the Pirelli lottery isn't in effect?

So where have you been? On an extended honeymoon in Rio?
lol...something like that.

Anyone see Seb driving around on the Jersey Circuit?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=odogYmLKM60

Also he was on Letterman:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=fsc_62uNcKI

You know I used to hate Vettel but the more I watch him do interviews, the more I start to like him. He has a great sense of humor.

Jack Sparrow;1588963You know I used to hate Vettel but the more I watch him do interviews said:

Having been here in a while, all I have to say is Massa GTFO of that car and let Perez get into it. Why are they waiting soooo long!!

At the same time I like how the F people is down playing Perez's performance saying that he is too agresive... stupid to say while the guys nick name is the "tire whisperer" . What they are trying to do is to make him feel less and trying to make him Alonzo's second, before he even gets to drive for them.

-MSR

Having been here in a while, all I have to say is Massa GTFO of that car and let Perez get into it. Why are they waiting soooo long!!

At the same time I like how the F people is down playing Perez's performance saying that he is too agresive... stupid to say while the guys nick name is the "tire whisperer" . What they are trying to do is to make him feel less and trying to make him Alonzo's second, before he even gets to drive for them.

-MSR

Checo's day will come. As for what the Tifosi are saying, my take is that he is still a bit inexperienced, which is a true. However, he is showing a lot of potential, and at this point would could do better than Massa. I haven't read/heard of him being considered too aggressive though.

Are you rooting for JB or for McLaren?

IDK who you're asking, but I root for JB first, then McLaren.

Sergio Perez is up there with JB for me.

My 3rd favorite driver is up in the air between Kobayashi and Räikkönen.

Are you rooting for JB or for McLaren?
A little bit of both but more so JB. I don't get why everyone on this forum seems to love Sergio Perez. Whenever I watch his interviews, he never lets out his personality, so its just boring to watch. It could be due to the language barrier but you see personality within Alonso, Vettel, Kimi (lack thereof which is why its so funny), etc. Perez comes off as a bump on a log.

Last edited:
Re: Oh Jack, you are so out of touch.......

You don't know why Perez is so popular? :eek:

Everyone loves him for his sex tape with a hot Brazilian MILF on the side pod of his car with the Sauber janitors watching. :tongue: Sheesh. You have been out of commission, haven't you? :biggrin::biggrin:

OK, I don't know why interviews make a difference in popularity. I get very little out of them mostly because the language differences, the PC control and limited time take away any subtlety or interesting perspectives.

Now the Letterman interview with SeBass was different, so that was fun. But it didn't make me like him any more or less than from the way he drives and handles himself on the job. But I'm just a cold hearted Dilbert, so what do I know? :rolleyes:

Back