• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2012 F1 Thread...

Congrats to the silver stars -- except for an unlucky wheel nut they would have been 1/2.... but what the hell happened to Kimi?

I just can't resist: Mercedes is racing a Honda-designed chassis.

That car has seen so many changes, and it's been a few years, it's no longer a Honda.

Congrats to the silver stars -- except for an unlucky wheel nut they would have been 1/2.... but what the hell happened to Kimi?

even without the nut job, I highly doubt they could have finished 1/2. Jenson lost out on a shot for a win with that SLOW pitstop, something like 9-10 seconds.

Another impressive performance by Senna and Maldonado.
The Sauber boys fell slightly behind :(

I laugh at Vettel, qual P11 and then outperformed by Webber again!! Good job Webba!

That car has seen so many changes, and it's been a few years, it's no longer a Honda.

even without the nut job, I highly doubt they could have finished 1/2. Jenson lost out on a shot for a win with that SLOW pitstop, something like 9-10 seconds.

Another impressive performance by Senna and Maldonado.
The Sauber boys fell slightly behind :(

I laugh at Vettel, qual P11 and then outperformed by Webber again!! Good job Webba!

Agreed, Button had a shot at trying to pass Rosberg if he hadn't have had his nut problem, but Hamilton had no chance of catching, let alone passing Rosberg.

Raikkonen's tyres "fell off the cliff" with about 10 laps to go. Once they had gone off he was a sitting duck for everyone to pass.

Webber's was an interesting race! He almost flipped the car again, but that was because he was really trying so hard. Pity he ran wide during his dice with Hamilton, which eventually allowed him through, because Webber was actually quicker towards the end of the race. Vettel is not a "happy chappy" in the car at the moment, how fast things can change!!

But it certainly was a fantastic race, with such close, clean racing all up and down the field.

Re: Those Sauber punks

When I called them that, it was an endearing tongue in cheek jab. But that stupid, dangerous and embarrassing block by Perez definitely earned him the paddock's "punk of the week" award. :redface:

His spotter should have told him the Kobu had gotten the lucky set of tires this time and was gonna dust him off easily. Perez won't be doing that at Ferrari. But I'm sure he knows that. :wink:

Not one Safety Car and maybe only, what, one or 2 local yellows? Amazing.

^ Holy crap!

Bet that guy will avoid curbs from now on!

Any bets that the Bahrain race will actually happen?

Re: Well, with the Pirelli wheel of fortune.......

you never know where any team will end up. This "saving tires/tire management" $hit is just ridiculous. Have I said that before? :redface:

So, yeah, I think the race will start, but the question is whether the teams will actually have enough tires to finish the race. :rolleyes: Didn't we see a tire so worn it failed on Kimi who was leading the race a few years ago? Maybe I'm confusing performance with safety and the tires won't blow up but they go off so quick, that HRT could just cruise around never pushing the tires and pass all the real racers in the last 10 laps. And everyone would say how entertaining the "race" was. Just silly.

Rant over; on the cool down lap now with the race car in the garage and gonna forget about it for now. :tongue:

^ Yeah the tire thing is getting stupid -- building tires that are designed to only last for just a dozen or so laps to make the race "more interesting" just sucks.

My prediction:

1: Jenson Button
2: Mark Webber
3: Michael Schumacher

3.Schumy ????? think wrong.

I agree with you about tyres personaly think that is interesting to see whos car is better prepared for all race not only for few laps.

Last edited:
This should be interesting!:smile:

My guess:
1. Hamilton
2. Vettel
3. Button

odd to see the empty grandstands for quali.Kinda looked like a closed track.I also think the tire deal is a bit much.......drs for me is a stretch....

Re: We'd like to think so, but

It's not that simple.

A good driver can make his tires last much longer.

After working his way up to 2nd, how does Kimi drop 12 spots in 2 laps? Was he busy texting? :biggrin: Or did his engineer know that would happen but had already dropped the strategy ball and was just resigned to be an idiot?

Now Merc; tires overheating first race, couldn't get any heat the 2nd race, then bingo, everything's perfect in the 3rd race. Did Nico get a new driving coach and Schumi just remember what he'd forgotten about going fast? or did Brawn and team just wake up and decide it was time to figure things out?

But that's just scratching the surface in my mind. Since F-1 is all about entertainment, how about a conspiracy theory? Since these tires are hand made, how predictable can the product be when the compound and design are aimed at being tricky and unpredictable? Just seems to me that there has to be a noticeable difference from one set or batch to another. I'm pretty sure Pirelli is carefully tracking the results of which tires did what and who made them. :eek: Just a thought. :rolleyes: Not that Bernie would ever suggest that some lucky team get the good sets one weekend...........no, that would never happen.

I may as well predict Heiki scoring points tomorrow. Just a roll of the dice, but it's as good as any pick in tomorrow's race.

Oh wait, almost forgot, I'm picking FI for a podium. Following the offiicial F-1 press releases, I now know that FI left the track early on Friday because they "were done with their practice/testing and were ready for Q. Crew safety on the streets? No, no, no, the team is actually just dialed in and gonna kick back before they kick some ass on track.......really." :biggrin:

Note to self: start getting drunk before I watch these races. I'll laugh a lot easier and won't have my mouth hanging open quite so much. :redface::wink:

Re: We'd like to think so, but

Note to self: start getting drunk before I watch these races. I'll laugh a lot easier and won't have my mouth hanging open quite so much. :redface::wink:

With a 5am pdt start, you might as well just start drinking Saturday night (which it sounds like) and just keep pounding down the beer and coffee all night long. Then just scale back and drink you way back to sober by about noon in time for the Cup race.

An interesting race this morning. At least the Ferrari's finished ahead of the Sauber and Toro Rosso cars.

Miner

McLaren completely fell apart this race: mechanically their car has problems. Only three races without going back to the factory for a rebuild and it is already a basket case. This is disappointing. RB had Webbo give their car a serious trashing and it still runs strong.

This should be interesting!:smile:

My guess:
1. Hamilton
2. Vettel
3. Button

Well... I got that right -- NOT!

Interesting race. Isn't Adrian Newey something!!! McL needs to work on pit stops a bit.

Glad to see another(Lotus) team on podium.All so close who can predict this year WDC?

Anyone but Vettel, and I'll be happy. Preferably, I'd want Button for a second WDC. Perez would be my other choice, but that's wishful thinking. Now if the Iceman got another WDC, that, would be nice too. :smile:

Back