• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

how many nsx still exist

Yeah, I guess that makes more sense now that I think about it. It would be very cool to see how many are left. I got a bad feeling this is going to take a lot of work. I wish you luck.

I have the list of all the 02-05 vin numbers, I will start this today. If anyone has any suggestions please speak now or forever remain silent because I am not doing this again :D

I will run carfax on all the 2002-2005 cars to chech the following:

- salvage/rebuilt title
- one owner vehicles
- milage under 10 or 20k miles
- state for residence

What do you guys think?
I think it would be awesome!
Since you asked for thoughts though, I would consider making a checkbox system for mileage with something like:

under 10k
under 20k
30-50k
50-100k
over 100k

Those seem like the notable benchmarks of interest rather than just under 10k or 20k. I also believe that the wiki contains color information, but not in a nice format, so if that info is at your fingertips, it would be kind of cool.

I could be tempted to convert your raw data table in to an interactive graphic with color coded pins per year for the wiki. I think that would be pretty cool and would be happy to put the time in to doing it. If I really got fancy, I would link each pin to your table entry.

attachment.php

*edit - obviously for privacy concerns, pin placement on the map would be entirely randomized - just some where in the appropriate state *

Attachments

• nsx-map.gif
    nsx-map.gif
    59.3 KB · Views: 682
I'm thinking a pin smack dab in the state of Michigan is not going to give up the privacy of any member living in Lansing. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Nice of you to offer to undertake this task, though.

I think it would be awesome!
Since you asked for thoughts though, I would consider making a checkbox system for mileage with something like:

under 10k
under 20k
30-50k
50-100k
over 100k

Those seem like the notable benchmarks of interest rather than just under 10k or 20k. I also believe that the wiki contains color information, but not in a nice format, so if that info is at your fingertips, it would be kind of cool.

I could be tempted to convert your raw data table in to an interactive graphic with color coded pins per year for the wiki. I think that would be pretty cool and would be happy to put the time in to doing it. If I really got fancy, I would link each pin to your table entry.

attachment.php

*edit - obviously for privacy concerns, pin placement on the map would be entirely randomized - just some where in the appropriate state *

Autocheck disabled my account, I was able to check 54 cars.

Interesting facts:

- 1st manual car for 2002 was SCRAPPED on 1/30/2006
- 2nd-5th cars have no record at all
- 7 of the first 54 cars were totalled
- 1 of the first 54 was exported to Japan
- 4 of the first 54 cars are in Canada
- there is one car that was registered as new in Puerto rico as "rental" and was involved in accident
- at least 20% of cars were "leased"
- according to the first 54 cars the average "last knows milage" is around 25k

Last edited:
Autocheck disabled my account, I was able to checked 54 cars.

Skimmed their terms & services and found this tidbit:

"Without limiting the foregoing definition, personal use of the service is defined to not ordinarily exceed 100 reports during any 30-day period from the date of purchase or 50 reports in one AutoCheck session ("AutoCheck Session" is defined as usage of the AutoCheck.com site for a 30-minute period without refreshing or closing the Internet browser). Exceeding these limits will result in a temporary suspension of your account until Experian approves and reactivates your account at Experian's discretion"

100 checks is not the same as "unlimited". Boo on them!
Perhaps working with their customer service department will get your project back on its feet.

I would say from a statistical point of view sample 500 vins and apply that survival metric to the total number sold in the US....that would give a very robust aproximation.

This is not going to work since i will only be checking the newer cars. 1991 has 3 times the chance of getting totalled versus 2005 since it spent more time on the road.

I think we will even see more '02s totalled than '05s.

I would say from a statistical point of view sample 500 vins and apply that survival metric to the total number sold in the US....that would give a very robust aproximation.

This is not going to work since i will only be checking the newer cars. 1991 has 3 times the chance of getting totalled versus 2005 since it spent more time on the road.

why? just sample every year.

surprised by how many are totaled...i guess the age and cost of repair makes car an easy mark for totaling by insurance company...

i have my 93 in garage and my brothers 91 black ivory in driveway as i type so that is two...

Bry,

So if 7 of the first 54 you checked were totalled/scrapped, That would be 12%. So if you are stating that a 1991 has 3x the chance of being totalled or scrapped than 1/3 of '91 cars are off the road.

There was a total of 9(6 manual, 3 auto) cars from 2002 with no records, the first 5 were probably used for crash tests and the remaining 4 were never sold.

Bry,

So if 7 of the first 54 you checked were totalled/scrapped, That would be 12%. So if you are stating that a 1991 has 3x the chance of being totalled or scrapped than 1/3 of '91 cars are off the road.

2002 Is done, unofficial interesting info:

-31 (28 manual and 3 automatic) cars were totalled.
-20 (19 manual and 1 automatic) cars were not totalled but involved in accidents.
-16 or more are in Canada.
-1 car was exported to Japan.
-1 car was delivered new to Puerto Rico.
- someone bought a used manual car and put 113k miles on it in less than 2 years :).
-39 are still one owner cars.

wow i am excited to see more keep up the good work

very cool numbers.

what will it take to get you to do all years?
to help I have 4 NSX's in my possession.

1 1992 clean title never wrecked
1 2002 salvage being rebuilt
1 2003 COD parts car.
1 2004 salvage rebuilt

as for the majority being wrecked at or before 25K miles thats weird
as my 2003 and 2004 were 20K miles and 19K miles

I know it was just by chance but thanks for starting with 2002 :biggrin:

A lot of my curiosity is cured but... :wink: I am anxiously awaiting your complete results.

Thanks again Brylek for your dedication to this fabulous project

just so you know by doing this you are inadvertently increasing the value of the NSX LOL

well 2002-2005 NSX's :biggrin:

I know it was just by chance but thanks for starting with 2002 :biggrin:
A lot of my curiosity is cured but... :wink: I am anxiously awaiting your complete results.

I know how you feel, I already did over 50 '03s but I was thinking about doing '04 first since my car is from 2004.

Thanks again Brylek for your dedication to this fabulous project

I'm happy to see someone showing interest in this, it makes me want to continue.

This is one of the reasons why I wanted to do it in the first place, I want to remind all of us what we have so when the new car comes out we won't dump our cars for nothing.

just so you know by doing this you are inadvertently increasing the value of the NSX LOL

well 2002-2005 NSX's :biggrin:

Probably not, some of the exported cars were also totalled. At this point it is too early to go with such strong statements but I have a feeling that less than 25% of '02 are accident free and under 30k miles...

So more then 25%. Of the 2002s were either totaled, crashed or exported out of the country

This is one of the reasons why I wanted to do it in the first place, I want to remind all of us what we have so when the new car comes out we won't dump our cars for nothing.

Thanks for the effort. This is great information for present owners and future owners.
People that are new to the NSX world do not realize how rare these cars really are. Here is the proof that they are more rare than when originally built.
Soon we will be able to use the word "classic". I said soon, because to me a real classic car goes up in value over time, not down. Presently NSXs are still depreciating.

I have an 02' that shows up as an accident but the damage was only cosmetic to the rear bumper. Just saying the accident cars might still be on the road like mine :)

Back