• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Finally a 91 NSX Owner

So I have been lusting and looking for NSX for many years...

I have been back and forth on colors, coupe or targa, and model years... but I always wanted popup headlights
At first I really like black, white, blue, orange, kaiser silver. but at the end I have narrowed down to #1 White > #2 Black > #3 Kaiser Silver and 1991-1993 model year

I have been looking locally in Hong Kong for awhile then I gave up due to super high price at the second hand market 28car.com and after checking out all of them personally, and conclusion is that they are all in very terrible conditions... so then I started to look for NSX in UK and Japan... At the end I chose to import one from Japan because Japanese usually have better condition than UK despite the higher prices; and with the USS auction house it has less risk. But yet bidding a car by only seeing it with a few low quality pictures and a score card is scary.

For those who doesnt know what USS is, here is a good introduction:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63Y97oLjiuA

So I have been monitoring USS auction for over 6 months and everytime Im about to give up a good example comes up! But the first time it went over my budget, and the second time Im like I have to get it...So here I am finally a 1991 NSX owner! :biggrin:

Its a 1991 JDM NSX Black/Black Manual with about 65,000km / 40,000miles

3 Pics from the USS auction house that i have to base my bidding decisions on

Attachments

• IMG_2897 - Version 2.jpg
    IMG_2897 - Version 2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_2896 - Version 2.jpg
    IMG_2896 - Version 2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_2895.jpg
    IMG_2895.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 517
Last edited:
So the car has arrived in HK

And I have done the basic maintenance

Engine Oil Change
Pakelo 5w40
Honda OEM Oil Filter
Honda OEM Crush Washer

Transmission Oil
Honda MTF3
Honda OEM Crush Washers

The engine has quiet down a lot after the maintenance, but the engine still have more noise and vibrations compared to my other friends NSXs....actually after the transmission oil change it is not as smooth as before, I wonder what the japanese used it was almost clear goldish color.

So the main problem now is to solve the idling vibration problem. The car will needs an alignment. And the odd thing is the whole bottom of the car has a black coating, a few JDM NSX also have this under coating as well...weird

So after the check up I have confidence that this car is a true great example just like the USS says. So will proceed in registering the car, and even before I have register the car I already have many mods in my mind.

Last edited:
Congrats and love the color. Time to mod away:biggrin:

Ok here is the immediate to do/mod list

1. Properly polish and wax the car
  2. Detail the interior
  3. Take out the faded tint on the rear glass
  4. Replace GruppeM Intake with stock intake
  5. Fix Engine Vibration problem
  6. Moroso 74103 Moroso Battery Terminal Disconnect Switch
  7. Metra Electronics 44-UA46 Antennas
  8. Rims / Tires (TBD)
  9. KW V3 Coilovers

Last edited:
Ok here is the immediate to do/mod list

1. Properly polish and wax the car
  2. Detail the interior
  3. Take out the faded tint on the rear glass
  4. Replace GruppeM Intake with stock intake
  5. Fix Engine Vibration problem
  6. Moroso 74103 Moroso Battery Terminal Disconnect Switch
  7. Metra Electronics 44-UA46 Antennas
  8. Rims / Tires (TBD)
  9. KW V3 Coilovers

In the past week of holiday I have completed a few items on my to do list!

Properly polish and wax the car
Take out the faded tint on the rear glass
Replace GruppeM Intake with stock intake
Uninstalled aftermarket HID kit for first car inspection
Changed my windshield wiper with NWB Design Wiper both in 22" size.

At least now the car has a passing grade for exterior condition, but I am thinking to have the whole car repainted in the future to bring it up to perfect condition.

It took me a while to figure out the OEM wiper size, and then how to fit these wipers since they are thicker than regular ones. At the end I chose to bend the wiper arm a little to fit these 22" NWB Design Wipers. http://www.nwb.co.jp/products/design_wiper.htm

And I didn't know that USDM uses 9006 light bulb and JDM uses H1 light bulb for low beam... and bought the wrong bulbs in the first place... good that I found out before I order the new HID kit...

Can't wait to have the car registered then I can start modding. I think rims and tires will be the first items to go in.

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
I think Im pretty much decided on the rims and tires...

Volk CE28n
Color: Mercury Silver or Titanium Silver or Gold (still cannot decide)
Front: 17x8.0 +38mm offset
Rear: 18x9.5 +34mm offset

Bridgestone RE11
Front: 215/40 R17
Rear: 265/35 R18

These CE28n will need to clear the Stoptech calipers Front & Rear in the future, so correct me if Im wrong! I dont want to get the wrong size/offset

Last edited:
Finally passed the first government transportation department inspection after two tries. :mad:

First try, I had the brake lightbulb out sensor failed that morning, so paniced and did the sensor bypass but it didnt fix it... so I had another quick fix, see pic (inspector didnt notice):wink:. The only problem that it failed this time was because the fuel tank adapter installed incorrectly causing the gas cap could not be closed. And of course the brake light bulb sensor decided to work right after the inspection. :rolleyes:

Second try, the inspector still bitxh about the fuel thank adapter being slightly loose.:mad: But he passed me anyways :tongue:

Attachments

• 4b9202d294c3a1375437e51044be1e0b.jpg
    4b9202d294c3a1375437e51044be1e0b.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 242
  • 17db550678d8554e786d831ae09eda03.jpg
    17db550678d8554e786d831ae09eda03.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 192
  • 603b41e6bfe0cb383db41d7972e484db.jpg
    603b41e6bfe0cb383db41d7972e484db.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 208
  • 10f6d6cc19cae505d7eddb16dd3b1d46.jpg
    10f6d6cc19cae505d7eddb16dd3b1d46.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 220
  • 245323c3d674472808851077b5319fce.jpg
    245323c3d674472808851077b5319fce.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 210
if you buy a usdm car and import to hk do you have to convert it to rhd ?
just wondering

o ok thanks lol was just wondering in case i ever move to hk, guess i would have to sell the nsx then,:tongue:

o ok thanks lol was just wondering in case i ever move to hk, guess i would have to sell the nsx then,:tongue:

Another option is to license in China and have a dual plate and drive in Hong Kong... but its extremely expensive I bet only a few people have done it for their exotic

Since I have passed the inspection I can install the HID back...:cool:

Instead of installing the Catz blueish HID that came with the car, I got these $45.75 Sportiva 55w 4300k slim ballast kits from http://sportivahid.taobao.com/ :biggrin: Some may think WTF $45.75? Its because I live in China and with the power of taobao.com you can get everything cheap directly from the factories. And seems like Sportiva is a rather well known online brand sold over in Europe.

With the new slimmer ballast I can easily hide the whole kit under the headlight assembly for cleaner install.

Update:
Have just recieved the HID took 1 day to deliver from China to Hong Kong! :eek:

Pics added. Didnt have time to install it this weekend, will do so later...

Attachments

• photo 1 (1).jpg
    photo 1 (1).jpg
    36 KB · Views: 45
  • photo 2 (2).jpg
    photo 2 (2).jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 47
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 47
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Managed to install Metra Electronics 44-UA46 Antennas over the weekend... Now it looks a lot better, no more of that dated antenna.:wink:

And start to take apart of the interior for uninstall the old Clifford and install the latest alarm from Viper, Viper 5704. NSX interior is certainly very well build and difficult to take apart. I did make a few mistakes when I didnt have the DIY guide with me.:frown:

Back