• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Frankfurt, February 2012

I will be in Frankfurt on business from Saturday, February 4, 2012 and leaving on the following Saturday. Weather permitting, I hope to spend Sunday the 5th at the Nurburgring for a few "tourist drive" laps on the Nordschleife (tentatively, I plan to rent a Lotus Exige from RSR). Would be cool to go for a ride in an NSX while I'm there.

For those of you who have been on the Nordschleife, what is the weather typically like in early February. I've read that the climate can vary significantly over a single lap. I'm trying so hard NOT to get my hopes up, but, seeing that this may be my best chance to get to the 'Ring, I'm REALLY hoping I get to drive.

In the meantime, I'll be doing laps in GT5 and on GT PSP...

Yes, I know. Weather in Geermany is very similar to Chicago, I wouldn't expect them to open sooner than mid April.

Yes, I know. Weather in Geermany is very similar to Chicago, I wouldn't expect them to open sooner than mid April.

Well...I made it to the 'Ring...and it was covered in snow. Now Frankfurt is covered in snow. Brrrrrrrrr.

419984_3289954446943_1210181902_33611237_1973725156_n.jpg

Found myself in the second and third captures from the webcam archive

1328461501000.jpg

Last edited:
Good thing I wasn't standing in the middle of the Nordschleife when that guy came around...can't believe how blind those hills and turns are.

Good thing I wasn't standing in the middle of the Nordschleife when that guy came around...can't believe how blind those hills and turns are.

Hi

Yeah it's not a safe track at all. I remember I was down there with a Kawasaki ZX-9R many years ago. I had a guy in front of me that had done about 500 laps so he was a good rabbit.

It's one of the things in life I will never forget:

I went through a corner with my knee down on the asphalt (pretty leaned over). Then I went over a hill while I was leaned with my knee on the ground and the front end went up in to the air.

Afterwards I went in to the pits. Bought some Nurburgring stickers and headed to Sabine's bar to celebrate the awsome expirence and that I was clever enough to stop my racing there and therefor survived.

Best regards

Martin, I couldn't even imagine challenging the 'Ring on a bike.

i-QH5J2JQ-L.jpg

BTW, that's me standing on the center of the GP track.

Last edited:
Martin, I couldn't even imagine challenging the 'Ring on a bike.

Hi

Yeah it was pretty hairy. I am used to drive on track with a bike. I even did it professionaly back in 2006 when I become eight in my class in Norway. But I did not feel safe at all driving on the Ring.

It's something you just have to do as it has this history you want to be part of. The vibe down there is just super special.

One of my instructors on track is Stein Rømmerud which has a best time of 7.59 there. That's 9 seconds from the best time of the famous Helmut Daehne. That is just crazy.

I was below 10 minutes and live to tell the tale. I did the Ring with my NSX too. But I did not push my luck there at all with the princess.

I don't regret going there. It's just something you have to do. But if you race against the clock you will go down for sure.

Best regards

Back