• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mother hit my car.... AGAIN

OK, For you all that don't know within the first few weeks of getting my car (190E) my mother backed into it in the driveway. The Grill, Bumper, Hood, Radiator brackets and supports, Auxiliary fans, and headlights were broken. Insurance was going to total my car and pay me $1,800 for the wreck. I cancelled the claim and decided to fix my car myself. I replaced all the parts myself from my local Pull A Part near me. Even ordered brand new $200 Euro Spec Headlights from Germany. (Gave me a sweet deal for legit Bosch headlights)

Just a few days ago (2 max) I finally finished repairing my car. Took almost a month to get all the parts together, well anyway since it rained for about two days straight the ground is still a little wet and I just washed and waxed my car and I refused to park my car in muddy grass etc. So I park my car beside my mothers ML350 except I park my car in a position where she can't come between me and my father's truck. Well today that didn't matter as she just came and backed into my driver side door leaving a dent, paint patch and also crack the door itself.

I am so hot right now, Quite possibly easiest way to anger me is to mess with my car and I'm relatively and calm person. :mad::mad:

I just wanted to express my trials and complications that I've been dealt with. If anybody has anything similar I would throughly enjoy reading about it also.

my stepdad has driven through our closed garage door 3 times. he hit the button to open it while seated in the garage, and didn't bother checking to see if it opened.

I backed my ford GT into my landcruiser the 2nd day i had it. Boy did that piss me off. then i did it again 3 weeks later. Then 3 months ago, while backing out of the garage, I demolished the sidevieew mirror on the side of the garage, and simultaneously dented the door it is attached to (it does not fold in... all pressure is transmitted to the mounting point on the door). Yeah, i was pretty upset. And no, this isn't the mustang GT. this is the ford GT.

shit happens. live and learn.

my stepdad has driven through our closed garage door 3 times. he hit the button to open it while seated in the garage, and didn't bother checking to see if it opened.

I would think after the first time, he would have learned to check every time after that to make sure the door opened!

I'd honestly go out every night to leave a sticky note on her steering wheel to look out for your car

she'll get the hint eventually

My wife has gotten into so many accidents that I've lost count. I have every conceivable device to aid in her backing up (proximity sensors that beep front and back, backup camera, etc) and she still somehow manages to hit things. She backed into a friends mercedes the first week we owned our Jeep Grand Cherokee and knocked off their bumper. When we bought our fully loaded Toyota Sienna XLE, in the first week of owning the car she hit a concrete pillar in a parking garage and ripped off the mirror (about $1000 to replace). Another time she was driving into a friends garage and she again ripped off the side mirror and put a big scrape along the side of the car AND cracked the garage door frame.

I love this one: When we first got married she damaged the car with another concrete barrier in a parking garage. So we got a rental and had the car in for repair. 2 days later she did the exact same thing with the rental too!!!

She typically gets into about 3 accidents a year. It's so bad that I don't even bother getting things repaired after the first damage to the bumper. I figure I'll wait for her to hit something again and get it repaired one time. I budget about $6000 a year to pay for her accidents out of pocket to avoid impacting our insurance, but last year our insurance company finally had enough and kicked us out. I managed to convince them after much back and forth to let me keep my policy as long as she signed a statement that she was not allowed to drive any of my cars. She now has her own policy where she's paying $6k/year in insurance with a $2500 deductible. If she gets one more ticket or accident she will move from high risk to facility insurance which is about $10k/year just in liability (not including collision etc).

Pretty freaking ridiculous. I think I need to take away the keys and give her a damn bus pass.

Last edited:
My wife has gotten into so many accidents that I've lost count. I have every conceivable device to aid in her backing up (proximity sensors that beep front and back, backup camera, etc) and she still somehow manages to hit things. She backed into a friends mercedes the first week we owned our Jeep Grand Cherokee and knocked off their bumper. When we bought our fully loaded Toyota Sienna XLE, in the first week of owning the car she hit a concrete pillar in a parking garage and ripped off the mirror (about $1000 to replace). Another time she was driving into a friends garage and she again ripped off the side mirror and put a big scrape along the side of the car AND cracked the garage door frame.

I love this one: When we first got married she damaged the car with another concrete barrier in a parking garage. So we got a rental and had the car in for repair. 2 days later she did the exact same thing with the rental too!!!

She typically gets into about 3 accidents a year. It's so bad that I don't even bother getting things repaired after the first damage to the bumper. I figure I'll wait for her to hit something again and get it repaired one time. I budget about $6000 a year to pay for her accidents out of pocket to avoid impacting our insurance, but last year our insurance company finally had enough and kicked us out. I managed to convince them after much back and forth to let me keep my policy as long as she signed a statement that she was not allowed to drive any of my cars. She now has her own policy where she's paying $6k/year in insurance with a $2500 deductible. If she gets one more ticket or accident she will move from high risk to facility insurance which is about $10k/year just in liability (not including collision etc).

Pretty freaking ridiculous. I think I need to take away the keys and give her a damn bus pass.

I'm sorry You THINK you do??? That is exactly what needs to happen!

1. Park on the street away from your mother.
2. Move out and get you own place - are you under 18? If so disregard. I moved out on my own at 17 but not all are that motivated.

Wow that is crazy!!

Give her a dented beater, with liability only insurance on it. Problem solved!!

I backed my ford GT into my landcruiser the 2nd day i had it. Boy did that piss me off. then i did it again 3 weeks later. Then 3 months ago, while backing out of the garage, I demolished the sidevieew mirror on the side of the garage, and simultaneously dented the door it is attached to (it does not fold in... all pressure is transmitted to the mounting point on the door). Yeah, i was pretty upset. And no, this isn't the mustang GT. this is the ford GT.

shit happens. live and learn.

Wow that sucks.

Wow that is crazy!!
Give her a dented beater, with liability only insurance on it. Problem solved!!

Unfortunately the bulk of the cost is the liability. Liability = $10k, and another $3k for comprehensive + collision. Thankfully I have the exclusion waiver where she's not allowed to touch any of my other cars or they would also be lumped in the same category.

1. Park on the street away from your mother.
2. Move out and get you own place - are you under 18? If so disregard. I moved out on my own at 17 but not all are that motivated.

I'm close to graduating and heading to college so HOPEFULLY my car can last these next 5 months.

Some people are just not meant to drive .

My mother being born and from Germany and lived there majority of her life as well as the United Kingdom is a great driver. Don't get me wrong that she hasn't had a accident since the late 90's but just recently she has been taking a new form of medication for her Hep C treatment which impairs her memory. Very short memory on certain situations. For example placement of items or short and quick task.

So for those reason my Father has made it clear that she is no longer allowed to drive while she is doing her treatment.

Sooooo guess who just got a new ML350 to drive? :biggrin:

That's one HUGE house for you to need your wife to drive a car to get to the kitchen.

Tie her to the bed; Problem solved.

How about turning the vehicle around for her so she ha a straight shot out. I do this for anyone older than I am at my house, especially my mother in law.

How about turning the vehicle around for her so she ha a straight shot out. I do this for anyone older than I am at my house, especially my mother in law.

Same here. My driveway looks like a used car lot with all the vehicles facing out. I now have a queen-sized mattress between the NSX and where everyone walks through the garage! :smile:

Same here. My driveway looks like a used car lot with all the vehicles facing out. I now have a queen-sized mattress between the NSX and where everyone walks through the garage! :smile:

Mine used to look the same way but I have been getting rid of vehicles for a while now, one boat and one truck left to go and then, finally I will be down to ONE car, until summer comes :smile:

Back