• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My NSX-R & NSX-Reventon project

Thank you guys!

Time to give some attention to interior
Seats got finally ready!
I find the OEM seats to be very confortable and light to my opinion, so a fully leather reupholstering was my choice,with perforated parts as the 02' model, in RED of course, or it won´t be a R :biggrin:

img0401f.jpg

dsc02387w.jpg

No, I didn´t go for the 7000$ real ones :rolleyes:

Some professional matt aluminium paint of console and door trims...

img0421khz.jpg

Some detailing before reassembling

img0403au.jpg

And finally here just waiting to find their place back in the car

dsc02398yz.jpg

Will probably put some red carpet later, and the NSX-R mesh boot:tongue:

Some weekly update...

After the aluminium suspension parts blasting, I got fan of its results and decided to also blast all the steal rusting parts. One of them are the driveshafts.

Although the car as very low mileage, they looked like a 20 years old parts.
I just sand-blasted the complete assembled part, and painted it in green again as they used to be in a long time ago :biggrin:. The blast is safe for the rubber, it is amazing how the boot look new again
Here is a picture of the 3 stage process: original condition, sand blasted and finally painted

dsc02400small.jpg

For those who received the last NSXDRIVER magazine, I believe this is a nice solution and complement to also improve the outside look:wink:. I didn´t replace the boot or the grease as they have only 26000 and 38000kms

While cars are being painted, I can easily work on the engines, for valve adjustment, clutch or replacing any part.
Here are the 2 engines on workbenches.

dsc02309small.jpg

Thanks to my good friend Albert from California, I ordered about 150 rubber parts from the states. Basically I will replace all the seals, and O-ring, gaskets, timing betls, water pump...

dsc02399small.jpg

Next will be the clutch and the fuel lines...

Hugo, you obviously run the HONDA NSX refresh program for Portugal!:biggrin:
The people in Japan should be taking notes!

Where do you find the time?

Please capture as much as you can so maybe we can have a look at the video you are producing of the project at NSXPO. (in your spare time of course)

Gorgeous, amazing work.

Last edited:
I really like that you are taking your own direction with the interior. The seats look fantastic. While I like the Type-R seats, I think these looks great and accomplish the aesthetic really well.

I'm always looking forward to your updates on this amazing set of builds.

Anything happening with the Reventon grey car yet?

Thank you guys! :biggrin:
The Reventon should be painted by the end of this week

In the meantime I have been doing some sand-blasting of engine parts this weekend, that is when I have most of my free time. Here is the original nightmare condition of the engine when I took it out of the car:

img0123hb.jpg

Although it might look hopeless to recover, the interior of the engine was incredibly new, thanks to its low mileage history
dsc02301ok.jpg

Besides of replacing all the seals and rubber parts, my job was mainly cosmetic, I did not want to see any more rust or aluminium corrosion white dust on that engine :mad:
Solution: SAND and GLASS POWDER BLASTING !
As we can´t sand blast a complete assembled engine, I took all of its small components and cleaned them one by one... I would need to take them away to replace their gaskets anyway.

Here is the engine without its components, this is the further I will go on the engine dismantling :smile:
dsc02401ks.jpg

dsc02402d.jpg

Here are some before and after pictures of the engine components. Steal parts need to be painted after the blasting or they would rust right away...

img0452yv.jpg

dsc02409bt.jpg

The harmonic balancer is of course a major concern when recovering an engine as its failing leads to an engine destruction due to timing belt jump..! It seemed really in bad shape but again the rust was only superficial, the sandblasting shows the rubber galvanization points
I will probably just use the SOS pulley shield, considering its low mileage here.

img0463ka.jpg

img0464mb.jpg

For the clutch, as the disks were almost on their limit on one side, I found a local clutch rebuilder, that uses some spannish friction material (not china...). I told them it would be for a high RPM fuel engine, they said it should work fine, they rebuild clutches for over 40 years, I hope I won´t regret it:confused: . Unfortunately I can´t replace all the parts for new OEM ones for both cars, I need to save some money for the tyres and the turbo :biggrin:

img0449vm.jpg

At least they look good...

Now I am working on the Intake manifold, this would not be acceptable for an R to look at through the engine mesh cover:biggrin::biggrin:
dsc02411u.jpg

The engine for the Reventon is in much better apperance condition, so I probably won´t need to blast all of its parts as I am doing for the R :cool:

Thanks again
Here are some updates

The R engine is almost complete, I have already replaced all of its block and heads gaskets and seals, did the timing belt and water pump, clutch, all is missing is the intake manifold. I intend to place it back in the car this weekend, along with its fully sand-blasted suspension with powder coated parts :cool:

dsc02418b.jpg

Looks like a big LEGO´s :biggrin:

Both of the engines have been stopped for over 10 years, my concern is of course oil lubrification! I have turned the crankshaft by hand for the timing belt syncronization, but I can´t think of trying to start the engines directly with the starter motor, hoping they will start immediately, and wait for 10 or 20sec for the oil pressure to raise after filling all the dried out cavities of the crankshaft, cams and so on!

So I need an external oil pump. An easy access to engine oil circuit is the oil pressure meter. So I took the sensor out, and went to a robotic/automation shop that sells some hydraulic components and found some nice stuffs to fit in place of that meter, with a small pressure gauge to verify the pressure :rolleyes:
For the external pump I found a driller-operated one, that claims to deliver upto 1.5bar, that is perfect for the pre-pressurization that I am looking for. You probably find a similar one at any Home-Depot in the states, here we find it in LeroyMerlin

Here is my setup that will replace the OEM oil pressure sensor
dsc02432q.jpg

I will first drain the old oil, and fill all of the 5L of the new one by that pressure sensor orifice through my setup :biggrin::biggrin:
I will also turn the crankshaft by hand while the pump is filling it with oil to make sure every single moving part gets lubricated.
A new oil filter is needed of course as the filter will now work in the reverse flow order for this operation, an old filter would release all of its dirt particules back to the pump or the sump...

Meanwhile the Reventon is already all primed, all is missing is one final sanding before the paint, the final result shouldn´t be too much different anyway:biggrin:
The engine compartment will be shining black but also all the hatch glass surrounding to contrast the matt, as opposite to OEM...

img0483cn.jpg

img0482sc.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

Hugo
Must be a pita to manage two projects at once.

you clearly don't know Hugo :wink:

and at the beginning of these 2 projects he finished a 3rd one that was so crazy complex that 3 or 4 full NSX projects at once would be easier... if he wants to, he will talk about it...

Nuno

PS - you got to love this guy for his commitment

Thanks again everyone
Some freshly updates just before the weekend...
Paint of the Reventon is almost complete, only the interior of the car is painted but I could finally see that color in person for the first time :cool::cool::cool:

img0501c.jpg

On the inside of the hood and boot lid is that Lambo color, the car still is all primed on the outside, the inside is done, yet without the additional final matt clear coat for the outside so final result should be even more matt :biggrin: We can´t see the pearl effect on the picture

img0499qr.jpg

img0496oo.jpg

I guess I will have to wait until next week now..

Car was an automatic, at this stage it is very easy to convert it to manual, that is exactly what I am doing

That prep bay is so nice. No worries about dust and wearing a mask. Everything just sucks straight down. LOVE the progress.

Hugo - absolutely amazing work!! When I come back in the "next life" I want to be YOU !! :smile: Incredible stuff - don't know how you find the time and energy - oh, perhaps it might be the encouragement from the nice lady in your avatar.... :wink: Keep up the great work and keep us posted!! Jay

WHY have I not seen this before? I am in shock.

Huggo yet again your the man.

I dont know how I missed this thread.

WOW. looking good.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

so know we know your buying up all the NSX's on your side of the pond.

PM me I want updates on the other project as I am gonna start it on my car very soon. you know the one.

if you need anything just ask. Free

Last edited:
Back