• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My NSX-R & NSX-Reventon project

Hi PrimeMembers and Friends

After several trips to the States, and after seing so many NSX´s during my regulator tours and the NSXPO´s, I completely lost my mind and bought 2 more NSX´s here in Europe (I have 3 nsx right now, I really love this car :biggrin::biggrin:).

As I am building these 2 cars at the same time, I decided to start a single post for both of them, also to avoid jumping from one post to another and get lost and confused all times

So here is the story:

First NSX is a genuine French NSX bought in France, and towed away by truck to Portugal (around 1500kms). Car had only one owner, red color, 93, manual, with only 38000kms. Bad news it was left under a cover in a french farm for over 10 years! Windshield and hatch glass were broken and some mice eat the seats and wires, water and straw got everywhere, so a lot of work needed for this car, some rust and aluminium corrosion also needs to be cleaned

Second car is a genuine licensed Portuguese NSX, extremely rare over here, also single owner, from 91 with 26000kms only. Owner was a 70 years old man that passed away in 1996, car was stopped since then due to legal heritage conflits. I then bought the car without documentation, and after some long effort I finally got the papers signed from the heirs.
Bad news it was an automatic. WAS, as I am converting it to manual, conversion is not too dificult once you are stripping the full car as I am :wink:
I sold its automatic engine to a team of Paris-Dakar, to use on some race sand buggy :biggrin::biggrin:
color was sebring silver.

I hope I won´t be insulting anyone, but Red and Silver are exactly the 2 colors I hate the most for the NSX :biggrin:
Black is and will always be my favorite choice, but I already have a Black NSX, so I want something different this time

After seeing NSX´s in all the available colors in person during my trips to the US, the grandprix white NH-0 was one of my favorite, especially with some NSX-R accessories so I decided to make a popular NSX-R replica out of that french Red one.

hondansxr8.jpg

Then for the Portuguese one, I wanted something different and not OEM color. I only found a few NSX painted in a different color than not OEM, one of the best was Steve´s car from LA, painted with the lamborghini silver color. Then I saw a matt black in Vancouver, and that is it, all other only on internet not in person
So my idea is to paint it like the Lamborghini REVENTON. I have never seen any in person, there are only 20 Reventon in the world. My bet is that I am almost sure it should look very nice on the NSX :biggrin::biggrin: Color is matt, but has some pearl effect, I got the recipe :wink: Roof, mirrors and wheels will be shinny black to make a contrast with the matt. Looks mean in that color :biggrin::biggrin:

bw08reventondooropen.jpg

I already started to strip both cars and decided it was about time to share my adventure with you guys, and use your comments and tips to complete my project.

I will soon post pictures of both cars, and the evolution of this project
Hope you'll enjoy my adventure

Amazing Hugo...just amazing really...the whole thing...from 1 to 3 to now gutting and rebuilding...you will probably figure out a way to fix a snap ring tranny without dropping it, make teflon replacement parts for every single degrading plastic part in our older cars, and discover a way to add +20HP by soldering some wire somewhere to behave like a press car engine :wink:

I am looking forward to all that is going to come out of this "adventure". :smile:

Thank you vf2ss, well the snap ring tranny might be a problem for the french nsx as its gear box is in the snap ring range! :eek: However not all the gearboxes in that range have that problem, and I have so much work to do on her that I do not intend to open that gearbox for now. Then if I do or have to in the future, I will put some shorter NSR-R gears.

Hapa88, wrapping could be a solution, but paintjobs are in really bad shape, imegine both car haven´t been cleaned or waxed for over 10 years. Plus Wrapping is not too popular here in Europe, and for a job well done it would cost almost the same as a full paintjob. Then as I like to be a perfectionnist, wrapping the interior of bonnet, doors, engine room would be a problem for me. I like the color and effect from your picture though :wink:

Yes EK, completely insane, I just don´t know what is more insane, if the project or the reventon color itself:biggrin:

I also have the idea to increase performance in both cars by lightening the NSX-R and turbocharging the Reventon.

Weight savings by removing all the A/C, spare tire, AIRBAG system, radio, firewall insulator, and so on, is only about 50kg (100pounds), so I do not know if it really worth the sacrifice :confused: Then it won´t be a complete NSX anymore.. and if I decide to put all these accesories back one day I would have to dissassemble the full car again...
I may go for a shorter gear later

The Reventon will definitely be supercharged:biggrin: I am dreaming about it since I took a ride on a turbocharged NSX in the states; I will go for Angus turbo

Pictures to come very soon

Congrats on owning 3 NSXs at the same time, I have recently bought myself another NSX, too.

Sorry to be picky, NH-0 is actually the NSX-R Championship White and Grand Prix White is NH-565. I'm sure it's just a typo so I'm merely stating a correction in case it may mislead others, please don't mind me. :wink:

You can start by posting pictures of your avatar, lol.

You are absolutely right NSX UNITED, color NH-0 is called Championship white not GrandPrix White! I always confuse their names! It is the milky/creamy white, like the one from that nsx-r picture, that is the one I want!
My first choice was in fact the brighter NH-565 (fridge color), very similar to new BMW X6 or Audi Q7, but then I had the chance to see 2 white NSX in LA a championship next to a grandprix, and suddenly all became clear in my mind!
To my opinion and personal taste, the Championship combines much better with the black roof and red interior, and gives the NSX all its "soul and spirit" from the Honda glory days! It is a unique color to Honda so this is the one I choose!

Fantastic stuff Hugo!!! Your ONE NSX was already rare in your country and now you'll have THREE!!! How do you say "I am a balllllla" in your language :). Looking forward to your progress and really excited to see how the Reventon paint comes out (I almost used that on one of my other project cars), should look sweet!

I have a request for your next home R&D product. Can you please figure out how to make the NSX fly? I know you are capable of doing that :).

Thanks!

ps...when you need help bringing all 3 over and filling them with drivers for NSXPO's...let me know!!:biggrin:

Nice to see some familiar faces here! How are you Steve? How are you Batman and your Viet girl friends? :biggrin:
Merci bboxer!

Well, I found this recipe for the Reventon color:

revcol.jpg

The shop where cars are being build uses a high quality made in Germany SPIES HECKER paint
spieshecker.jpg

I will ask him about that 924486 code you gave me.

Last edited:
Ok, so let´s start by the paintjob of the NSX-R-to-be :biggrin:
As the first step of my project is to change the color of the cars, and as I am not a painter myself, I gave this part to professionals
To change the color of a car, only way to do correctly it is to strip the full car to the bone
For the "nsx-r-to-be" (NSX-R2B :biggrin:), I changed the color from the Milano Red to Championship White. I had all the interior re-painted in white, roof and engine room are the last ones to be painted, in Berlina Black over the white.

Here are the first pictures:
In the background you can already see the REVENTON "2B", next in line, waiting for her turn to be painted:rolleyes:

dsc02287l.jpg

The interior...
dsc02288d.jpg

This poor guy is hand-sanding all the floor:eek:
dsc02289k.jpg

img0339bx.jpg

Et voila:wink: she already looks better in white, and this is just a floor to be covered with carpets :biggrin:
img0349rp.jpg

img0350un.jpg

Now that all the interior was painted, it was time for the exterior, here already with primer.
img0348rj.jpg

Next I will explain how I found inspiration from Australia to make the R-replica bonet all in aluminium as the real OEM one :wink:
I also got these skirts and a 02 valence is on its way to complete the bodykit.

Stay tuned

Well, price of an NSX here in Europe (not UK) is about twice as in the states, if you consider the Euro/Dollar currency rates. Then for a full paintjob/labour like mine here in Portugal I would say it costs about 1/3 of what it would cost over there, so this easy math won't make you hesitate that much, and I really think the cars deserve it

Here is a picture of the JDM Honda badges from my 2 cars
img0388f.jpg

They match the OEM paint color, the french red one will now perfectly match the NSX-R theme :biggrin:
Then for the Reventon I don´t know if I should use the OEM sebring silver one. The Lambo has a golden bull badge, there was some golden Honda badges from late 80´s honda cars :confused: what do you think?
What a problem, I won´t be able to sleep over this! :biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:
thats definitely the correct way to do a color change, but since most of the inside will be covered by body panels and never be seen, dont you feel its a bit much overkill?

Re: My NSX-R & NSX-Reventon project

love it!

just don't scratch that new white paint putting the window regulators back in :biggrin:

Man i love projects like this!

Sub:tongue:scribed hardcore!

Before painting the car, one the major task was of course to remove the engine!

Here you can see it in its original nightmare, left for over 10 years without running :tongue:
83125889.jpg

Here after removing the complete engine/trany, first thing you notice are the yellow Koni and red H&R? springs.

img0121es.jpg

Car was originally lowered with this setup, so I decided to keep them for the NSX-R theme , although they are quite old! but what really matters for shocks is usage and not aging, so I decided to give them a second chance

Of course I could not leave them all rusted as they were, so I had the springs powdercoated in red, and painted the shocks in yellow (as you can´t powdercoat them due to high temperature involved) to bring them back to life:biggrin:

img0375l.jpg

Here some yellow painting progress after sanding the rust, use primer and so on:
dsc02370tg.jpg

Here the final result, at least they look good now :cool:
dsc02372c.jpg

They surely aren´t the best shocks in the world, but hey, they are adjustable !:rolleyes:
dsc02373ff.jpg

Here is how you adjust them...
dsc02374zz.jpg

humm, we could probably invent some sort of an electronic controler here, like 4 small motors turning that small screw on each of the 4 shocks. Bumpy road ahead? ok let´s turn them soft, just press a switch....Hey look, a freeway with no traffic: turn them hard quickly :biggrin:
Or you can just adjust them once and forget they are adjustable:wink:

Back