• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Laguna Seca - dealing w/ 92 dB noise limit?

Roger, I'm going to Laguna Seca at the end of 2016 with the Alfa Romeo Club. I thinks I'll make the exhaust tip modification. I have a 97 with OEM headers, and Pride II exhaust. Its louder than OEM, but not as loud as other after market exhaust systems.

end of 2016? wow.....already booked 1 year in advance...........:wink:

you going on 12/26?
Not at this rate...

Roger, I'm going to Laguna Seca at the end of 2016 with the Alfa Romeo Club. I thinks I'll make the exhaust tip modification. I have a 97 with OEM headers, and Pride II exhaust. Its louder than OEM, but not as loud as other after market exhaust systems.
You won't pass with the Pride i'm pretty certain. Even with OEM cats and OEM headers. I could be wrong.. but probably not.

If you remember there were a few cars there that day that were MUCH louder than even my NSX and ran all day without a problem. I was totally baffled. I can imagine some of that was due to lifting on the uphill, but seriously compared to Ryan?.I think if you're passing a car out of 6 you can get pinged by having your exhaust sound bounce off them. I'm building a MRLS spec exhaust for my racecar once I get the tune all finished. So much Bullshit to sort through to run the best track of all time.

Last edited:
That was only my 2nd day ever at the best track of all time. The other time was a no-sound-limit day and I didn't drive so I really have no concept of how loud or not loud will pass. Their testing method seems totally NOT scientific.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean.. my car is only second loudest to yours! I think we both had the loudest cars at NSXPO2015 lol

Last edited:
I've passed on multiple cloudy 90dB days with Comptech headers and Comptech exhaust. No lift up the hill. YMMV...

When is the next Laguna Seca event? I want in.

No love for turndowns?

365779d1257038023-exhaust-turn-downs-laguna-seca-car-2.jpg

If I had your setup described here, it would be enough for me to go and find out. If it still fails You can modify your 5.1 to insert a bypass valve on the top X pipe. It won't harm flow all that much to be honest but will be significantly quieter.

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully someone with this exact setup can chime in.

Some event organizers allow sound checks where you run a lap or two in a different session to find a sound reading. If you blow sound you can always lift going up the hill between turn 5/6 (I see this a lot); how loud is a GT-one exhaust?

typically some guys who are in the know at the track know where the sound check is and you lift....at Lime Rock they were devious about the 98 db limit and put the mic just before the diving turn which was a little uphill so most guys were on the gas...

I have to say.. lifting before T6 is no fun but it is plausible and a worthwhile strategy.

The MRLS sound check system isn't a perfect science. I've seen cars get meatballed incorrectly. For example, if there is a cluster of 3... they have no idea which car is the louder one realistically speaking. If you're the unlucky guy who got flagged because the guy near you was louder, there is no hope for appeal. With most organizers i'm familiar with, once you're meatballed twice, you're out for the rest of the day. Also the doppler effect can get tricky on any given day, especially when comparing a hot day vs. a foggy cool morning. Sound travels differently.

My track exhaust config is virtually a slightly muffled, no cat, open header system. It's loud. However, my Laguna Seca package includes HF cats and these. I'm curious if I can be below 92dB on the first pass. If I still fail, I will close the bypass valves. It robs some power but is quieter even still.

Daniel - perhaps you can look into these. If you choke off all 4 tips on your v5.1, you'll still be flowing the same volume technically as the main piping. Mine sounds anemic with these things on though. lol

tanabe_exhaust_silencers_hero.jpg

Yea lifting between 5-6 is plausible but also looks super annoying for those who have to do it.
I had to choose my exhaust carefully since I run MRLS quite often and didn't want to run into any sound violations - just a word of warning its increasingly common to find 90db days this year (lowered from 92db).

Yea lifting between 5-6 is plausible but also looks super annoying for those who have to do it.
I had to choose my exhaust carefully since I run MRLS quite often and didn't want to run into any sound violations - just a word of warning its increasingly common to find 90db days this year (lowered from 92db).
dude!!! I'm so overdue for a MRLS day. I need to book one before it gets stupid hot up there in the summer. Hope to see you again soon.

I have to say.. lifting before T6 is no fun but it is plausible and a worthwhile strategy.

The MRLS sound check system isn't a perfect science. I've seen cars get meatballed incorrectly. For example, if there is a cluster of 3... they have no idea which car is the louder one realistically speaking. If you're the unlucky guy who got flagged because the guy near you was louder, there is no hope for appeal. With most organizers i'm familiar with, once you're meatballed twice, you're out for the rest of the day. Also the doppler effect can get tricky on any given day, especially when comparing a hot day vs. a foggy cool morning. Sound travels differently.

My track exhaust config is virtually a slightly muffled, no cat, open header system. It's loud. However, my Laguna Seca package includes HF cats and these. I'm curious if I can be below 92dB on the first pass. If I still fail, I will close the bypass valves. It robs some power but is quieter even still.

Daniel - perhaps you can look into these. If you choke off all 4 tips on your v5.1, you'll still be flowing the same volume technically as the main piping. Mine sounds anemic with these things on though. lol

tanabe_exhaust_silencers_hero.jpg

that is exactly what the gtlw exhaust uses for a "silencer" I have them and they really do work as well...subjectively I feel the increased back pressure robs some higher rpm power.

dude!!! I'm so overdue for a MRLS day. I need to book one before it gets stupid hot up there in the summer. Hope to see you again soon.

Yea for sure, let me know when you make it up here =).

blah blah blah..........just do it already.........we are waiting for you..........and I dont think it ever gets stupid hot in Monterrey.

Back