• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oil change? Every 3,000?

I've been changing my oil and filter every 3,000. I was recently told it only needs to be done every 7,500 since I only use royal purple oil.
Thoughts??
Also, what is the best filter for the Nsx?

This is like asking "what is the best oil for the NSX" or "should I run 10W30" or "what is the best wax"? Those questions never end well on the forum. ;) But, I'll give it a shot.

A 3,000 mile change interval will not hurt your NSX. You are leaving plenty of room for error and you will always have a clean engine. I would not go beyond 3,000 if you are using conventional (dino) oil.

On full synthetic, the problem becomes more the filter life than the oil life. A good full synth can last up to 15,000 miles. But, most filters lose effectiveness around 7,500. Thus, you can just change the filter at 7,500. However, most people change the oil too.

Royal Purple is a good synthetic oil, so I think you would be fine with a 7,500 mile change interval.

Another thing to remember is that many NSXs do not see even 3,000 miles per year. Regardless of mileage, I suggest changing your oil once per year. I usually do mine in the spring so I have clean fresh oil for track season. :)

Honda, NAPA, Purolator, Mobil and Wix all make good filters for the NSX. I use Denso tall filters, which are the same as OEM. Stay away from Fram.

HTH

I determine oil changes based on the useage of the vehicle.

For garage queens, once a year is probably sufficient. :smile:
For a daily driver used mostly in town then every 3,000 miles is recommended with regular oil or I will wait 5,000 miles with synthetic.
For freeway driving, I extend the interval to 5,000 miles for regular oil or 7500 with synthetic.

Synthetic can last longer, but when it looks dirty I change it anyway.

Last edited:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1508850&postcount=66

That's my engine block at 120k miles~

The shop that was doing the build said that the condition of my journals were more like an engine with 20k~ miles.

What I use:

I'm using Pennzoil Ultra, the official oil that Ferrari of North America uses.

The oil filter that I use.

+1

Personally, I use Mobil1 10W30, but Pennzoil Ultra is great oil. I used the same Purolator filters on my other cars and loved them.

I use Castrol GTX 10/30 and an OEM filter... I change every 2,000 miles.

If it was a racecar I would use a good synthetic and change it after every race weekend (or test day).

I use Castrol GTX 10/30 and an OEM filter... I change every 2,000 miles.

If it was a racecar I would use a good synthetic and change it after every race weekend (or test day).

Considering that the condition of my engine with my superior oil and superior oil filter is changed every 10k miles my methodology saves $$$ and reduces wear and tear.

**** disclaimer: My engine rebuild has nothing to do with the oil, but the pistons having a hissy fit with being forced to swallow more air.

Here's my oil analysis from Blackstone Labs with the Pennzoil Ultra after the engine was blown (which they didn't know at the time).

I'll be sampling the oil with the new engine as well.

The only metal out of line in this first sample form your Honda 3.0L engine was aluminum. Typically, aluminum comes from the pistons, though any wearing aluminum part is a potential source. In the grand scheme of things, 4 ppm of aluminum isn't a lot of metal, so we doubt it's a serious problem, though we'll
watch trends next time to see how it behaves. We found some fuel in this sample, though 1.5% could have come from something operational. The viscosity was a pinch low. The TBN read 3.3, showing active additive left (1.0 is low). Go 7,000 miles next time.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG0186.jpg
    IMAG0186.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 698
Last edited:
I change my oil every month full Mobil1 synth.

regardless of miles. I drive this thing like a bat out hell and I need to know my oil is healthy.

cuz if i need to get up at 3AM and drive cross country for any reason

I dont need to worry about my oil, just fill up with gas and Gone.

my NSX is always ready.

Changing the oil every 3000 miles even with spirited driving is WAY overkill and simply a waste of money. I did a few oil test samples in the past and Blackstone always recommended to use the oil longer than I did use it. Only Morons put regular oil in the high-reving NSX engine. :) Fully synthetic is a MUST, high HTHS values are needed at high revs.

On highly modded engines or track-driving, it's a different story.

I change mine every 2000 miles, no more than 2500 with Mobil One 10w30 Extended and Honda Filter.

I drive mine like there is no tomorrow so I change more often. I believe the interval of oil changes is more important than the oil and filter you use. If it is dirty, change it.

No expert here but I read many articles and threads about oil and filters, and don't know which to believe, so I just took a stand.

In my Comptech built NA motor RP oil caused all sorts of issues. It was too thin for my high rev valves.

I change my oil every month full Mobil1 synth.

regardless of miles. I drive this thing like a bat out hell and I need to know my oil is healthy.

cuz if i need to get up at 3AM and drive cross country for any reason

I dont need to worry about my oil, just fill up with gas and Gone.

my NSX is always ready.

Lol @ every month, that's way beyond overkill. Unless you drive 2,500+ miles in a month, your wasting oil.

Perhaps Stuntman was winking when he hit "submit reply."

thanks for the tip BATMANs. i was going to change my oil today with mobil1 synthetic, but after reading your tip, i'm going to use the pennzoil. it's a little pricier ($20/qt. at sears) but you can't put a price on these engines. i always change the filter and synthetic oil at 3k and the transmission fluid at 6k. i'm going to use the pennzoil/purolator combo instead.

thanks!

thanks for the tip BATMANs. i was going to change my oil today with mobil1 synthetic, but after reading your tip, i'm going to use the pennzoil. it's a little pricier ($20/qt. at sears) but you can't put a price on these engines. i always change the filter and synthetic oil at 3k and the transmission fluid at 6k. i'm going to use the pennzoil/purolator combo instead.

thanks!

Anytime. I get TONS of PMs asking for NSX advice, etc.

The cheapest place is Walmart for Pennzoil Ultra @ $27~ for a 5 quart jug.

Back