• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone considering a Subaru BRZ or Scion FRS?

Nice find. I would agree with the results as the order I would buy them in.

Those of you who have driven an S2000 would you prefer the S2k or the BRZ/86?

I have had 3 s2000's and currently have a 2008 that I purchased new. I drove an frs and really liked it. The issue for me with the frs is that the boxer engine is not as smooth and free revving as I would like. The engine I liked the best was the b17 in my 1992 integra gsr. This is the engine that taught me what a Honda is all about. The nsx c30/c32 has that same sewing machine free revving feel. When I drove the frs the engine revs but does feel like it is necessarily happy doing so and doesn't have the vtec engagement of my s2000. So a few days later when I drove my s2000 I realized that I was searching for something new but I already had what I wanted

It must be noted that the S2000 was significantly more expensive new than the 86 platform but the RX8 started at only $26000 while offering more power, better handling, and better fit/finish. But now if you look at used cars I'd pick the S2000 as values have come down and Honda makes crappy alternatives as new cars.

I have never driven either BRZ or FRS. Best friend in Atlanta was debating between a used S2k or a newToyobaru . I have driven an S2k and would love to own one, but if it is between my NSX and an S2k I choose the NSX.

That's crazy considering how amazing your NSX is!!!

Owned an ap1 for 3yrs.* I should say "lived" with it for 3yrs.* It's a potent, high energy car but it was high strung. *I've driven the ap2 and its more liveable.The BRZ swings the scale more towards comfort and liveability. *Its bigger, quieter, less twitchy, better mpg, seats 4 in a pinch, and available with a pretty darn awesome 6AT. *It's all about your priorities. *I sit in LA traffic 10x a week. *You tell me which one is better for my situation :)I hope to pick up another s2k someday.Btw... I feel the BRZ is way more fun (no oh shit factor) but its slower too.

- - - Updated - - -

Dont know why my phone formatted that all weird

I agree Ryu. I would not want to daily drive an s2k. It is a wonderful car provided you can drive it only when you want to

I'm curious if Subaru will bump up the HP soon? Like in 2014?
IMO, I bet they would sell 2-3 times as many cars if it didn't have the horsepower flaw.

Here's what I find interesting...in my 6AT I find the power quite adequate. I drove the 6MT recently and the lull in power was quite obvious and all of the sudden I realized what everyone was so up in aeems about.

The 6AT is much faster and better at shifting to match throttle input and the engine's power band imo.
I'm curious if Subaru will bump up the HP soon? Like in 2014?
IMO, I bet they would sell 2-3 times as many cars if it didn't have the horsepower flaw.

Vortech has a nice OEM looking SC kit that adds 94hp :) They've already applied for CARB exemption on the base level kit, so I'm crossing my fingers that gets CARB approved in the future.

Vortech has a nice OEM looking SC kit that adds 94hp :) They've already applied for CARB exemption on the base level kit, so I'm crossing my fingers that gets CARB approved in the future.

Yeah, 94 more hp is just about right. The only downside is it kills your warranty.
Another option, I think with E85 gas + flash ECU + header = ~190whp.
That should maybe get it under a 14 second 1/4 mile maybe?

http://jalopnik.com/is-a-new-scion-...ource=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Patrick George Today 12:17pm 6,779 59
Is A New Scion FR-S Better Than An Old Mazda RX-8 Or Honda S2000?

It's kind of tragic that the Mazda RX-8 and , two of the very best Japanese performance cars of the last decade, are no longer in production and never produced any heirs to their legacy. So how would the Scion FR-S measure up if it went toe-to-toe with with Honda's roadster and Mazda's last rotary?

The boys at Everyday Driver sought to figure that out with this recent review, which I enjoyed immensely. I think you will too.

No one can argue that the FR-S has excellent driving dynamics. If you've driven one and it hasn't won you over, you may have been doing it wrong. But it's also considerably down on power compared to the S2000 and the RX-8.

I won't spoil who wins the test, but I can't say I was all that surprised. It's the one I'd take given the choice, too.

The guys do bring up a good point, though. Over their lifespans the S2000 and RX-8 were tweaked considerably in various different ways, including power, handling and refinement. We've only seen "version 1.0" of the FR-S and BRZ. Who knows what it will become in a couple years? I have a feeling more power might come sooner than we expect.

Which of these three do you like best?

Spoiler alert and for those too lazy to watch the video...........the S2000 won

Last edited:
Big difference in how fast they are...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/T9_hZqvY5RM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You can't just bolt a vortech sc on it fix the power. Well actually you can and you might fix the part power at the top of the rev range but then your car will sound like crap. I learned the hard way, on one of my previous ap1 s2000's (that also lacked power) I bolted on a supercharger and while it partially addressed the power (more power up top, but still nothing down low) the noise the darn thing made was awful. I learned from this that I like the free revving sewing machine like power that an s2000, type r integra or nsx has. The brz / frs doesn't feel to me that it enjoyes revving in the first place. I would hate to add a noisey supercharger to the recipe . Would rather wait to see what the sti or performance versions have from the factory

For the buyers shopping either the BRZ or the FRS (or GT86 for that matter)...

A recent review of the BRZ in Motor Sport passes on some interesting information:
Quote:
But the big difference – and I know this only because someone in a position to help ferreted the information out of an internal Subaru document – is that the BRZ’s suspension is 20 per cent stiffer at the front and eight per cent softer at the rear. And this alone makes the cars very different to drive.

<tbody>
</tbody>

The author is one of the few to have driven them together:Quote:
Having driven both models back to back on road and Silverstone GP circuit, I can report the Subaru is a far better balanced car than the Toyota, replacing the latter’s insistent oversteer when the electronics are disabled with a much more neutral stance. It still doesn’t understeer much but it’s an easier car to guide to the apex and quicker away thanks to superior traction. On the road its ride seems a little firmer but no more harsh.

<tbody>
</tbody>

He has an interesting perspective on how these differences play out subjectively:Quote:
This can be seen two ways. The BRZ is less extrovert and, yes, less fun too. You could argue the GT86 is better because when you don’t want to do skids you can just leave the traction control engaged and when you do you can hit the button and drift for Europe. But I still slightly preferred the BRZ’s less frenetic character. Put it this way, as an only car I’d take the Subaru over the Toyota. But for pure recreation, the GT86 is preferable.

<tbody>
</tbody>

More found here...
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/road-cars/road-tests/subaru/subaru-brz/

Congrats! I'm thinking of dropping by SCA tonight with the BRZ if in case you decide to drop by.

To be honest.. If I had a Cayman it would be difficult to look back. FWIW so far i'm having a blast with the BRZ. Hope you're enjoying the same with the Cayman.

Body Kits:
Too many from mild to wild
Pics here

just saw this..thanks:)

I bought a white FR-S on Thursday and returned it Friday so that I can get the Series 10 version coming out in June/july.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showpost.php?p=824114&postcount=1

Although it only comes in silver, I'd rather have that car because it will have the hid/led headlights that the GT86 has along with keyless go and a push button start and automatic climate control..

While waiting for the series 10 to come out, I had my eye out for a S2000 CR. I guess the CR won out in my heart over the FR-S/BRZ twins

just picked up my 2nd FRS lol. these are great guys/gals, try one!!!! my black one is for sale haha...CarMax here we go!
why? share share share :)

btw... I just went thru an ordeal with the Eibach Multi-pro coilovers. After several promises of improving their design they are a huge fail as far as R&D goes. Lots of wasted time and money.

RS*R Sports-i... Quite sophisticated set of coilovers especially for the price.

Back