• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone considering a Subaru BRZ or Scion FRS?

This a great car for the 20 to early 30's age group. Don't think people over 40 would fit the image too well.
Case in point, I saw a nice Lancer Evolution but when I saw the driver is a guy in his 50s it was kind of weird.

Just my 2 cents ...

I tend to agree to a point.
Certain cars do have a age limit on them IMO.
A 50 year old daily driving a EVO, STi, Integra Type-R, etc seems a little weird.

That said the BRZ, to me, seems to have a more low-key traditionally stylish look to it. I think anyone could pull it off. I may be being biased though because I'm getting older and like it.

In my neck of the woods I see alot and know a few 40-50 yr olds driving STi's and Type R's. Evo's are reserved for 20-30 yr olds.

I always though Scions market demo was early 20's women. I always see chics driving those TC's and then weird older people driving the xB and xA.

I'm excited to see cars like these, it's great to be an auto enthusiast again. The last time I felt this was was in the 90's when we had the NSX, Supra, 300ZX, RX7, 3000 GT, MR2, etc.
THIS!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I wonder if the first 10 years of this millennium will be remembered as the lost years where the best manufacturers could come up with was to go retro! Reminds me of how the 70s must have been for you old farts :biggrin:

Actually, I have the marketing materials from Subaru and you're wrong. So take that with your crappy over-generalizations. :biggrin:

Target buyer median age is 47.
Median household income is $89K
30% have post grad degree
46% have bachelors degree
67% have executive or white collar jobs
64% male 36% female
68% married
39% parents with children at home

Buying for their teenage son? :biggrin:

Well. My dealer (Colonial in Feasterville, PA) decided to change their mind. After telling me that they would sell me one for list price - when i went in today to seal the deal, they said they would indeed charge more than list and didn't know how much more until final pricing came in.

So, I declined to do business with them.

Well. My dealer (Colonial in Feasterville, PA) decided to change their mind. After telling me that they would sell me one for list price - when i went in today to seal the deal, they said they would indeed charge more than list and didn't know how much more until final pricing came in.

Screw them.

I never ever will pay above list for any vehicle. I laugh at those fools who paid thousands above sticker for the piece of crap PT Cruiser...

All cars depreciate, and paying above sticker makes the depreciation even worse. Those who pay above sticker for a new vehicle are probably the dumbest people or those who have no financial concerns and have money to burn in their pockets.

At my local Nissan dealer they had a GTR sitting in the showroom a couple of years ago. They told me I could buy it with only a $5k mark-up from MSRP. I laughed in their face and walked off.

Last edited:
Screw them.

I never ever will pay above list for any vehicle. I laugh at those fools who paid thousands above sticker for the piece of crap PT Cruiser...

All cars depreciate, and paying above sticker makes the depreciation even worse. Those who pay above sticker for a new vehicle are probably the dumbest people or those who have no financial concerns and have money to burn in their pockets.

At my local Nissan dealer they had a GTR sitting in the showroom a couple of years ago. They told me I could buy it with only a $5k mark-up from MSRP. I laughed in their face and walked off.

Agreed. I walked away from the NSX when it came out because of the same antics. I find it interesting that a company would risk getting a bad reputation just for a few grand in the short term.

Like most of us here, I'm a "car guy". I often advise and provide auto insight to my many non-auto aware friends and family. And because this is a local dealer I'll bet the word will get around. And now, with the internet this practice becomes common knowledge in an instant. There's already a list of dealers who are charging above list on the FT86 club forum.

Oh well.

-Jim

My guess is since this car has a much greater mass-market appeal than say an NSX. The initial hype will die down quickly once the eager beavers gets theirs and the dealers will have to compete again. That, or get a Scion assuming they extend their no-haggle policy onto this car.

Just curious Jim, why not the FR-S?

My guess is since this car has a much greater mass-market appeal than say an NSX. The initial hype will die down quickly once the eager beavers gets theirs and the dealers will have to compete again. That, or get a Scion assuming they extend their no-haggle policy onto this car.

Just curious Jim, why not the FR-S?

I liked the lighter blue color offered by Subaru and the dealer was very close.

Now? I may consider the FR-S. I do like the FR-S front a bit better.

-J

Jimbo, wouldn't your 650i make a much better daily driver than a brz?

The 650 is a fantastic car. I can't think of a much better daily driver.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk

Jimbo, wouldn't your 650i make a much better daily driver than a brz? The 650 is a fantastic car. I can't think of a much better daily driver.

I wish I had a 650i. That BMW in my list is a motorcycle.

If you really want one you can try using Edmunds.com and fill out the dealer request form. The form is sent to the internet/fleet department and usually they sells it at MSRP or below.

However since the BRZ is brand new I'm not sure if things will be different, but I think it's worth a try.

I found another dealer (perhaps 10 miles away) that will sell all BRZ at list. It's a long time family owned dealer and they have a great reputation. They will get my business.

-Jim

If you really want one you can try using Edmunds.com and fill out the dealer request form. The form is sent to the internet/fleet department and usually they sells it at MSRP or below.

However since the BRZ is brand new I'm not sure if things will be different, but I think it's worth a try.

I came across this site: http://www.fightingchance.com/index.php that seems to differ from the traditional car info / shopping sites, such as KBB, Edmunds, TrueCar.com, carsdirect.com .

I would also point out TrueCar.com as a site that seems to be somewhat unique in getting info on the demand for new cars.

And the Hella Foolishness begins. ..sigh

421265_404728606210484_158653120818035_1776252_640359287_n.jpg

mark ups are ridiculous, but a sucker/ really rich person would buy it. i went to buy a ford gt when it came out... 120k for that thing, how can you go wrong?? well they wanted 250k for it. a lady came by and asked if i was interested and i replied, "for msrp,yes, but no way in hell am i paying that much for it when i can get a Ferrari" and left.

mark ups are ridiculous, but a sucker/ really rich person would buy it. i went to buy a ford gt when it came out... 120k for that thing, how can you go wrong?? well they wanted 250k for it. a lady came by and asked if i was interested and i replied, "for msrp,yes, but no way in hell am i paying that much for it when i can get a Ferrari" and left.

Interesting story, wish I was there to see the reaction of the sales lady.

This is why I said this car is better suited for the 20 - early 30 folks.

Well, you could say that about any car that has been butchered like that.

Interesting story, wish I was there to see the reaction of the sales lady.

i drove a brand new Mercedes Benz S500 there... otherwise she wouldn't have said anything to me. i dont think she cared too much.

anyways, i have never paid MSRP for a car and do not plan to. i can wait and prefer to wait so that all the problems get sorted out.

FYI...

To: All Scion Dealers March 20, 2012

Subject: 2013MY Scion FR-S Price Announcement

Scion is pleased to announce the starting price of $24,200 for the highly awaited 2013MY Scion.

FR-S which will arrive at Scion dealerships in June. Even with DPH, the starting price is still under $25,000!

2013MY Scion FR-S Highlights:
This high performance sports car is the fifth model to join the Scion family. Inspired by the
Toyota AE86, FR-S is designed around the core goal of achieving, “Pure Balance.” This
balance begins with the use of the world’s only front-engine, rear-wheel drive configuration
using a flat boxer engine.
Some of the great standard features on FR-S include:
• 2.0 liter, 200 horsepower, naturally aspirated four-cylinder boxer engine
• Toyota’s cutting edge D-4S injection system with direct and port
injection
• 6-speed manual transmission that offers quick precise shifts with a short
throw
• 6-speed automatic transmission with rev-match and steering-wheel
mounted paddle shifters
• Torque Sensing Limited Slip Differential
• 17-inch alloy wheels and ventilated disc brakes
FR-S’s interior ****pit instantly exudes a “sports car” feel. The front sports seats are shaped to
accommodate manual shifting and support longitudinal and lateral G-force. The leather
wrapped 3-spoke sports steering wheel, utilizes the smallest diameter in the Scion lineup.
The idea of “Pure Balance” is further realized by FR-S’s lightweight design and compact size.
This allows the car to be quick and nimble into and out of corners. This combination is further
proof that Scion is truly “Bringing the Sport Back to the Car.”
The FR-S will be available in seven colors including Raven, Asphalt, Hot Lava, Argento,
Ultramarine, Firestorm and Whiteout.

Pricing Summary Documents:
MSRP for the FR-S six-speed manual and six-speed sequential automatic transmissions are $24,200 and $25,300 respectively.

Model Transmission Description 2013 Base
MSRP
6253 6MT FA20 $24,200
6252 6AT FA20 $25,300

All prices listed above exclude the Delivery, Processing, and Handling (DPH) fee
Pricing will be announced to the public on Thursday, March 22, 2012. Please keep this
information confidential until Thursday, March 22, 2012. Pricing details will be available in
the Scion FR-S Price Guides posted in the “Secure Area” for Dealer Principals on Dealer Daily.
Please contact your Regional Office or local administrator if you have any questions.

Back