• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone considering a Subaru BRZ or Scion FRS?

oh cool.. another guy who's seen/sat in it too!

so I agree with you about everything. i'm a bit torn on the pedal position. i think it has more room for my big feet but the heel/toe is a bit easier on the NSX i think. The problem on the NSX is my foot gets caught up at the top near my toes. I don't have that problem in the BRZ/FRS. I also have to press farther on my heel on the NSX. Anyway, how often are we going to be heel-toe'ing going to the market...

Did you feel the car was small? The inside was big enough.. makes the S2000 feel claustrophobic, but the outside dimensions makes it look like a Miata to me.

Eager to hear your thoughts..
At one point,(actually more than once) I was going to get a S2000 to knock around in, I really like the car, top down it was fine. My wife is claustrophobic, with the top up, she just couldn't do it, in the NSX top on or off, no problem, in the GT, she's also OK, but not the S2000. The only way I could have her in the car was top down. I didn't feel claustrophobic in the car, it was comfortable, and kind of cute. There's a prototype Miata Spyder with the really low canvas roof, I sat in that too, the top was off, once I got in and cleared the window edge of the roof, it was surprisingly roomy, even above my head. I thought the car looked sharp, not sure if Mazda's going to build it. I think that the Subayota (or whatever people are going to call it), is going to be a homerun. There will be lots of aftermarket performance products, you'll be able to get lots of extra go power for a lot less money than you can on the NSX. Yes, the appeal will be to the younger crowd, but don't we all want to stay young? I know that when I go for a ride in the NSX, I feel younger than I do in my DD's!!!

There on the streets now...one was spotted in town.

I have a friend from another "forum" that expects to have his in a couple of weeks, I'll try to get some "owner" impressions.

Interesting side by side video of the FRS vs. BRZ. The FRS is slightly faster but less composed.

It's like what i've been told in that the FRS is more tail happy and slightly faster but the BRZ is much more stable with understeer. I wonder if this is simply a coilover adjustment or if it's more involved. I think i'd like something in between the two from the looks of this video.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Te7F-SPV8eg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ImY0U8WChJ0?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ImY0U8WChJ0?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

I prefer the 2013 Turbo version.

i recently checked it out back to back with a Miata and i still prefer the Miata. Sorry, but those back seats are worthless in the FRS and the lack of center armrest is disturbing. downmarket look and feel is not for me, thanks.

I got the latest Motortrend and they ranked the Toyubaru's ahead of the Miata, but their racing driver, Randy Pobst, ranked the Miata 1st... like me. My friend was with me and is the interested party... and he agrees with me 100%. He felt the car was like a rental car Yaris inside. We are a more high end demographic, though.

Someone coming up in the world from lesser cars may find the interior to be nice and the car to be really fast. Everything is relative. Problem is even for someone taking a side-step, say from a GTI, the step down in quality is VERY apparant.

Saw both in person today, really want to like them but just can't fall in love like I did with the concept. At least they are reputed to drive right so there's always that.

I'd take this one... :biggrin:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/t60Rxr5sF14?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Interesting side by side video of the FRS vs. BRZ. The FRS is slightly faster but less composed.

It's like what i've been told in that the FRS is more tail happy and slightly faster but the BRZ is much more stable with understeer. I wonder if this is simply a coilover adjustment or if it's more involved. I think i'd like something in between the two from the looks of this video.

According to the articles I've read, I think it may be. The FRS just has softer springs and stiffer shocks. So far thats the only difference I've read about. Suspension tuning and maybe a larger rear sway will probably give the BRZ a more neutral handling..

Lots of ppl trying hard to dislike this car I see :)

This car is still all sorts of win in my book but its not for everyone.

Not me the brz and frs also are full of win for me and from all that I have read it's been a long time since anyone built a car like this and i'm nothing but thankful to toyota and subaru for that. That being said, this will make a nice car in the future once i can find a used one.:biggrin: Can't wait to see these cars on the road and see the aftermarket support for them too!

Even if you hate this car I think anyone who's a JDM fan will appreciate the scenery on this video. If you watched Initial D or Best Motoring for example :)

I can also guarantee you will like 60 secs into the vid. I apologize ahead of time for the mediocre narration.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/txA9JDC9Ivs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
i've actually got a brz limited on preorder as a daily driver, but still waiting. Since I doni't need the creature comforts or the space, I'm considering picking up a lotus elise, though. We'll see :)

Some lunatic over on the FR-S forum is already trying to swap the V8 from the Lexus IS-F into the FR-S.

To which I say... bravo.

Anything that pushes Honda to realize they are sorely lacking a contender in this category post-S2000 is a win.

And I really hope Toyota does a factory turbo. Those Subie engines tend to like some FI, no?

Some lunatic over on the FR-S forum is already trying to swap the V8 from the Lexus IS-F into the FR-S.

To which I say... bravo.

It already exists..
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FUPCwolLrsY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

blah, blah, blah.
Posers just like to pretend to be automotive authorities trying to shove their inferiorities down others' throats.
This is not about comparing this and that but just people find this little Scion fitting their needs and preferences. I like it. If one does not, tough. Go home to cry about not able to convince others to like your choice better.
Bottomline is, people spend their hard earned money on the cars they decide on. End of story.
Steve

Can't argue with the numbers - supposedly it is one of the best selling vehicles in the country this month.

Even if you hate this car I think anyone who's a JDM fan will appreciate the scenery on this video. If you watched Initial D or Best Motoring for example :)

I can also guarantee you will like 60 secs into the vid. I apologize ahead of time for the mediocre narration.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/txA9JDC9Ivs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Beautiful little car and I am sold. It is probably the car to fill my CRX void. It is bigger but offers more. Thanks for the great vid.
Steve

LOL!

i must say that i do agree wholeheartedly 100%.

Screw them.

I never ever will pay above list for any vehicle. I laugh at those fools who paid thousands above sticker for the piece of crap PT Cruiser...

All cars depreciate, and paying above sticker makes the depreciation even worse. Those who pay above sticker for a new vehicle are probably the dumbest people or those who have no financial concerns and have money to burn in their pockets.

At my local Nissan dealer they had a GTR sitting in the showroom a couple of years ago. They told me I could buy it with only a $5k mark-up from MSRP. I laughed in their face and walked off.

you are totally correct.... and im sure someone will attempt to do it!

my buddy just picked up an FRS and my brother in law is dying for a BRZ.

i think we have a winner here that will somehow bring a little light back to the glory days from 15 years ago back when civics, integras, preludes, talons, eclipses, celicas, probes, mx-6's and other mid 20k cars ruled the world.

I know this is heresy, but I think with enough body work an FR-S could pass for an LFA (from a distance)...

Not suggesting it's a GOOD idea, just noting a vaguely similar shape and after seeing NSX transformed by things like the Veilside kit, using my imagination...

Last edited:
Saw this guy while out and about... Nice looking car in person! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340571038.338694.jpg

Back