• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Taking NSX to Germany

I am thinking about moving to Germany in a couple years (Doppel-Staatsbuerger dank meinen eltern) and am wondering what the best strategy is for an NSX assuming I have one in the US (which I will very soon...)

I understand they are even rarer in Germany, and command higher prices. Does it make sense, then, to import the US one and modify it for German emissions standards?

What are the logistics of maintaining such a rare car in Germany? Hondas are not as prevalent over there, from what I've observed - are there dealerships that can get parts for it etc?

I am thinking about moving to Germany in a couple years (Doppel-Staatsbuerger dank meinen eltern) and am wondering what the best strategy is for an NSX assuming I have one in the US (which I will very soon...)

I understand they are even rarer in Germany, and command higher prices. Does it make sense, then, to import the US one and modify it for German emissions standards?

What are the logistics of maintaining such a rare car in Germany? Hondas are not as prevalent over there, from what I've observed - are there dealerships that can get parts for it etc?
I would recommend importing it, getting a NSX registered in Europe is quite easy.
As long all stock emission components are still there it should pace inspection, you'd only need to remove or tape of your rear reflector and install a rear fog light.

Maintenance isn't a issue ether NSX are pretty easy to work any Honda dealer should be able to service it.

Although Honda Europe pricing is plain ridiculous with huge backorders thats where I can help you out :biggrin:.
If you Acura is in good shape it should fetch anywhere between 35-40.000 USD over here if it's a NA1, NA2 are extremely expensive expect a value of 50-60.000 depending on model and condition off-course.

If you have any questions i'd be happy to help you out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info!

If you Acura is in good shape it should fetch anywhere between 35-40.000 USD over here if it's a NA1, NA2 are extremely expensive expect a value of 50-60.000 depending on model and condition off-course.

Any idea what shipping one costs? NA1 is going for 24k USD around here these days, so unless shipping costs 9k, it definitely makes sense to import it.

Thanks for the info!

Any idea what shipping one costs? NA1 is going for 24k USD around here these days, so unless shipping costs 9k, it definitely makes sense to import it.
depends where you are located lets say 1k to 1.5k shipping. Keep in mind to have roughly $1000 for registration and approval and possible vat charges although local laws in Germany might be slightly different.

Last edited:
Hi bengl3rt.

I live in Germany and imported a 2003 NSX from Califonia to Germany 2 years ago.
I paid $1600 (US Shipping Company) and $300 (German Shipping Company, which recived the car) for shipping and about $2600 for labor works to get the german registration.

Another problem is the Vat and duty issue. I had to pay 29% from the price I paid for the car plus shipping costs, for duty(10%) and Vat(19%) when the car arrived here in Germany. Thats the reason, why you need a german shipping company, too. But I'm not sure, if you have to pay duty and Vat, if you leave the Staates to live here in Germany. If not, that makes the import process much cheaper.

The prices in Germany for a NA1 NSX in good conditions starts from 30K and ends at 35K Euros. There are a few NA1 here, that are much higher priced, but they will never be sold.

I would maintenance my NSX only by a dealer who knows the NSX and not by any Honda dealer. No matter if the NSX is easy to work with. There are a few Dealers here in germany, who knows the NSX. Depending on where you live in germany, you have to drive a few hours to maintenance your NSX.

Hope I could help you a little bit.

Maintenance isn't a issue ether NSX are pretty easy to work any Honda dealer should be able to service it.
I would not bet an arm and a leg for this one. :wink: There are only a handful of people who know the NSX even in Germany.

To the OP:
Why hurry? As soon as you're in Germany you'll need some time to realize that US is the land of freedom and Germany is the land of burocratic idiocity and high taxes. :tongue::D

I personally would have a look in Germany first and if you can't find one there you still have the option to import one. Not far ago there has been a good car for sale for a reasonable price (EUR 32k is not bad if the base is right). If you buy one in the US as long as you're there you still can sell it there or take it with you if you can't find one in Germany. Please remind that NSX's sell 50 times slower in Europe than in the US.

Same here, but in basis it's a easy car compared to let say a old Ferrari or worse a V6 Maserati,

But indeed I do get calls weekly from mechanics that can't seem to fix a NSX with even a regular problem (the usually stuff, ignition, airco, stereo, abs cell)

I would not bet an arm and a leg for this one. :wink: There are only a handful of people who know the NSX even in Germany.

To the OP:
Why hurry? As soon as you're in Germany you'll need some time to realize that US is the land of freedom and Germany is the land of burocratic idiocity and high taxes. :tongue::D

I personally would have a look in Germany first and if you can't find one there you still have the option to import one. Not far ago there has been a good car for sale for a reasonable price (EUR 32k is not bad if the base is right). If you buy one in the US as long as you're there you still can sell it there or take it with you if you can't find one in Germany. Please remind that NSX's sell 50 times slower in Europe than in the US.

Back