• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is your NSX failing smog? Read this.

The lowered readings are certainly frustrating! I've failed already recently, even after Ramon @ Niguel Motors cleaned this sensor. I also ran Clean Power as suggested and it helped a bit, even after getting new Magnaflow cats installed. The readings all pass except for the NOx at 15mph.

I've replaced:

02 Sensors (2 years ago purchaed from SOS)
New Magnoflow factory replacement cats (took the place of my Random Tech Hi-Flow cats)
Cleaned EGR
Cleaned Throttle Body
Cleaned the sensor in this thread
Less than a year old intake filter
Ran Clean Power and replaced Fuel filter after Clean Power cleaning.

I've just about ran out of ideas and it's frustrating me that it's failing smog. If anyone has any input/suggestions/ideas, please PM me.

do the Magnoflow cats have the same spec as the oem? If not, I would try a set of low mileage oem cats.

do the Magnoflow cats have the same spec as the oem? If not, I would try a set of low mileage oem cats.

I purchased part # 36304 which is the Pre-OBDII 50-State Legal cats recommended via Magnaflow website. Luckily I was able to find a really good deal on a set. I've been keeping an eye out for a low mileage cat but they sell fairly quick. There is one on the market still available but the seller says it has more than a hundred thousand miles on it. It's been quite a frustrating ordeal with smog.

Agree, I am taking my 60k cream puff to the referee station in SD Fri.
Will see what they say. It seems the requirements have surpassed the orig design spec's,

Thanks to Alain, I just got enough Clean Power in stock for 4 cars. It's a must for 91-94 years. This helps allot from what I read. I will be using it very soon and post the results. Contact me if you need it.

IMG_0558.jpg

Last edited:
Turns out my EGR solenoid valve is the problem. Will have a new one Fri & test again.
Not an easy thing to trouble shoot. Am lucky to have the full shop manual.
Smog parts are also not easy to find for these cars and most are discontinued by Honda with no aftermarket. Like this NSX only valve...........

The good folks at Irvine Auto Repair (Smog and Repair) helped me out.
Ask for Ronnie. (949) 450-0802

Turns out my EGR solenoid valve is the problem. Will have a new one Fri & test again.
Not an easy thing to trouble shoot. Am lucky to have the full shop manual.
Smog parts are also not easy to find for these cars and most are discontinued by Honda with no aftermarket. Like this NSX only valve...........

The good folks at Irvine Auto Repair (Smog and Repair) helped me out.
Ask for Ronnie. (949) 450-0802

Someone posted some info about cleaning the EGR. Not sure if that is your problem. I've also seen tech. checking the operation of the EGR by connect a vacuum device.

Good luck on your smog check.

The electric EGR valve tested SAT. And yes a vampire pump is used for the test.
There is a solenoid valve controlled by the eng mgt system that opens & closes at different times allowing
the EGR system to function. (re-direct gasses back through engine)
Using the manual its about the 10th thing tested in the trouble shooting matrix.
Also, there are no codes indicating a problem when this valve fails or is failing.

Some one else can probably explain it better..... Or am I close enough?

Last edited:
I've also seen tech. checking the operation of the EGR by connect a vacuum device.
I've gotten in the habit of showing up to my smog tests with a vac gauge hooked up to the EGR system on all my cars, only because I'm always very borderline with my old Dakota on NOx. I've been taking from 4-6 cars to the same guy for years, and he doesn't mind.

From my experience troubleshooting EGR issues on a handful of cars, although you can verify your EGR system is working, you can't exactly replicate the smog test conditions while on the road. This is actually a good thing, since the EGR tends to engage sooner and more often on the dyno than during regular driving. One of the inputs to the EGR system is throttle position. The EGR will open up only in a certain range of throttle position, and is above what it takes to stay @ 15 and often 25mph in the street. However, the dyno has more resistance than the car has on the road, so it takes more throttle to maintain these speeds, and the EGR tends to engage and stay engaged through the test. But it certainly is borderline. I'm not sure how dynos are rated for rolling resistance, but the takeaway here is to find the smog shop with the most rolling resistance in their dyno.

Last edited:
I've gotten in the habit of showing up to my smog tests with a vac gauge hooked up to the EGR system on all my cars, only because I'm always very borderline with my old Dakota on NOx. I've been taking from 4-6 cars to the same guy for years, and he doesn't mind.

From my experience troubleshooting EGR issues on a handful of cars, although you can verify your EGR system is working, you can't exactly replicate the smog test conditions while on the road. This is actually a good thing, since the EGR tends to engage sooner and more often on the dyno than during regular driving. One of the inputs to the EGR system is throttle position. The EGR will open up only in a certain range of throttle position, and is above what it takes to stay @ 15 and often 25mph in the street. However, the dyno has more resistance than the car has on the road, so it takes more throttle to maintain these speeds, and the EGR tends to engage and stay engaged through the test. But it certainly is borderline. I'm not sure how dynos are rated for rolling resistance, but the takeaway here is to find the smog shop with the most rolling resistance in their dyno.

I was told that the EGR has something to do with the exhaust temperature. I think it suppose to cool it down (not sure)?

My wife's Prelude had issues with the EGR passage being clogged up with carbon and required cleaning, but the EGR itself was not a problem.

However, I don't think it is a common issue with our NSX's??

To wrap my fiasco up and maybe help other members, here is my pre EGR solenoid replacement test.
DSC08099.jpg

Post EGR solenoid replacement test. (Plus cleaning EGR valve and pipe)

DSC08094.jpg

The solenoid valve. Note this part is NLA but a suitable 94 Acura part can be used if you cut the wires and use the NSX connector.
I couldn't get the part number as it came in a no name box.
Will try to get it. I paid $230 for the part, (NSX price?) Its probably a $49.00 part from another 1994 model.............. Thats all I could find out. 1994 Acura. The Ref. gave the mech a contact phone # for parts.

DSC08096.jpg

Am posting this for others behind the Orange Curtain.

Notice how the MAX numbers change daily. Pure BS.

Last edited:
@ MCM: that is strange that the max measurements changed per each test. Do the 94's have a lower max measurements than the 91's? But, I'm glad you were able to pass. :smile:

@ MCM: that is strange that the max measurements changed per each test. Do the 94's have a lower max measurements than the 91's? But, I'm glad you were able to pass. :smile:

Yes, some how the Idiots of our state think a 94 must run cleaner than a 91 even though they are mechanically the same....

Thats how it was a few years ago. Anyone here from Orange County care to post your recent numbers?

I average 1000 miles a year in this car for the past 8 yrs.
Tree huggers are idiots.....
They completely miss the point about whom is polluting here.......
Every day I see these busses from Mexico spewing and blasting crap everywhere on I-5.
Same with Trucks....... And these geniuses think by trying to make my 94 act like a 2012 they are gaining something....... Pure Insanity......
Their real goal is to get these older cars off the road.
Supercar or super POS. They dont care.
And that's a very scary fact. Why else would they keep lowering the max numbers these cars were required to be tested at when brand new?
Well, that's how it seems to me anyway. Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong.
Am wide open to be educated on this......
Thanks

Last edited:
No, not clogged at all.

I didn't think so, especially with the low mileage on your car. So the valve solenoid was definitely the issue.

I was wondering if your headers made a difference. If nothing else, I think the temperature of the exhaust gas going into the cats would be lower than the stock iron manifold.

Thanks to Alain, I just got enough Clean Power in stock for 4 cars. It's a must for 91-94 years. This helps allot from what I read. I will be using it very soon and post the results. Contact me if you need it.

I also tried 2 bottles of Clean Power per Alan - Batman suggestion but it still failed due to high NOx. Like to hear your results. Ramon let me borrow a set of oem cats from him and that did pass.

Yes, some how the Idiots of our state think a 94 must run cleaner than a 91 even though they are mechanically the same....

Thats how it was a few years ago. Anyone here from Orange County care to post your recent numbers?

I average 1000 miles a year in this car for the past 8 yrs.
Tree huggers are idiots.....
They completely miss the point about whom is polluting here.......
Every day I see these busses from Mexico spewing and blasting crap everywhere on I-5.
Same with Trucks....... And these geniuses think by trying to make my 94 act like a 2012 they are gaining something....... Pure Insanity......
Their real goal is to get these older cars off the road.
Supercar or super POS. They dont care.
And that's a very scary fact. Why else would they keep lowering the max numbers these cars were required to be tested at when brand new?
Well, that's how it seems to me anyway. Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong.
Am wide open to be educated on this......
Thanks

I can certainly understand your frustration. It's almost as if our cars are supposed to run cleaner and better over the years. I think we should make a thread on this on the So Cal subforum. I think it will quickly become a long thread in no time.

But going back to your comment it also doesn't help that registration fees has doubled since last registration and it seems like it will continue to go up.

I would be open to be educated on these subjects as well.

Okay guys

For the moderately mechanically challenged, how difficult is replacing the sensor?

I did change my sensor with a new one. Big improvement but needed HC (PPM) 81 or less and got a 91. That was on 7/21/12. On 7/20/12 you needed 80 or less.
You see, these numbers change from day to day.
NO (PPM) MAX is 684 I am at 765. This is 15 mph in 2nd.
I pass no problem at 25 mph in 2nd.

Same issue with mine today... NO (PPM) Max 695 Measured 749 @ 15mph. Spoke to Duke and he said to get with Ramon, it's definitely the EGR solenoid. Bad part is, Ramon is on his first vaca in 10yrs and shops closed till Tuesday.
Any luck on finding what model 94' Acura the replacement one you got is from?

Call Ronnie at Irvine Auto Repair (949) 450-0800

What took me 8 hrs there to trouble shoot should take you 1 hr.

We went step by step through the book.

BTW, they only charged me the standard pre smog check inspection fee to figure this out.

They also can pre test on their dyno. But- the load on the rollers isn't the same as a test.
The test has more resistance on the rollers making it easier to pass / get better numbers.

The State Referee found the part for us... Ronnie work with them directly. I didn't know it worked that way...

Ramon is Great! But cant help much with smog issues. A test only station is great if you pass with flying colors. But Smog repair station is where you need to go with an "issue".
Hope that's all it is & your car gets through this soon!

Thanks, MCM! After doing some research I was able to find the EGR Valve Solenoid, specifically for the 94' NSX - Part# 36190-PR7-A01. Part is on order coming from a location in NorCal and should be here Tuesday. Hoping to install it that night after work, smog checked Wednesday morning, and ready to rock for my appt at DMV at 10am that day.

Really hoping this is the fix.... hate that I just bought this car and it's doing nothing but sitting in a parking spot looking pretty.
Wednesday afternoon I'm catching a flight and will be gone for a week, but if the solenoid doesn't fix it I'll probably make the trip up to Irvine to see Ronnie.

Last edited:
Wow, you found it?
We tried everything including the Ref.
The one I bought had to be spliced as the connections didnt match.
Hope its the right one that just plugs in!

Keep us posted.......

Last edited:
johnnymo, this could be solution! I've been failing smog 6 of the 8 years of my NSX ownership! Tried almost everything but not this... I barely pass the high speed but my HC and CO are at the limits but idle fails HC miserably. Going to have a look this weekend and might as well order up a new sensor while I'm at it anyway!

Back