• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Garage floor finish

Please weigh in on what you have found to be the best sealent treatment (epoxy, etc.) for your garage floor to help keep our beloved NSXs clean. I would prefer a product that can be applied by the purchaser versus a professional service.

Last edited:
I had my garage floors professionally epoxied at my first house, and after several years it started peeling. Tires also left black marks on the finish.

In my current house I have the racedeck-like plastic tiles (from Costco), and it's fine for the most part except the tiles expand and warp when they are hit by sunlight.

I think I'm going to try roll-out mats the next time:

http://www.bltllc.com/g-floor_main.htm

I did a 2 part epoxy system on mine. I tried the home depot crap 3 times and it only lasted a winter each time. When I built my new garage I bought the good stuff. I grinded the cream off the top of the concrete with a floor grinder, rolled on a primer, 2 coats of black, glow in the dark paint chips, and two coats of primer. Took all week to do as I let each coat dry overnight but has held up great for the last 4 years. It was about $1500 to do myself and I got quotes up to $4500 to have it done. I always wondered if the race deck tiles collect dirt under them and how often you would need to remove them to clean. I live in the city so there is always dirt and gravel getting tracked into the garage.

I did racedeck and am happy with it, haven't had any problems with them yet.

Check Bigfloors.com if you are interested. You can design your own floor and it will tell you how many of each tile you need. Was pretty easy to install, just need a saw ( I used a sliding compound mitre) to finish in the edges. Can be done in a day. I also put down acoustic foam, similar to what people put under laminate flooring, so it doesn't "clack" on the concrete

I did the Rustoleum 2-part epoxy last year and it only lasted one year. But living in the great white North, we get a lot of freeze/thaw cycles on the garage floor during the spring melt so it takes more abuse that most would get.

In my current house I have the racedeck-like plastic tiles (from Costco), and it's fine for the most part except the tiles expand and warp when they are hit by sunlight.

BTW, the Costco ones are made by Snap Lock Industries (who makes RaceDeck) so they are almost the same...

I also considered doing diamond polished concrete. It was more expensive than the racedeck and I couldn't do it myself as you need the right kind of tools for that job. However it's a really nice finish worth considering, wont peel like epoxy. Do a google search on it to see more images. You need to find a reputable person that knows what they are doing or it won't last.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=diamond+polished+concrete+3000&start=82&um=1&hl=en&biw=1600&bih=658&tbm=isch&tbnid=b6V4XNrVFY_ZoM:&imgrefurl=http://www.sw-construction.com/what%2520is%2520concrete%2520polish.htm&docid=nIRBS5so3nWZkM&imgurl=http://www.sw-construction.com/what%252520i2.jpg&w=825&h=619&ei=bRZ2T-u0HrS00AGh-62_DQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=1175&vpy=335&dur=6453&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=93&ty=161&sig=115509065496079618030&page=4&tbnh=141&tbnw=187&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:26,s:82

I used Drylok on my floor and then covered it with Racedeck. I just now need to buy new racedeck as it matched my old silver 05 with a silver/black checker and not the new one :wink:

I also considered doing diamond polished concrete. It was more expensive than the racedeck and I couldn't do it myself as you need the right kind of tools for that job. However it's a really nice finish worth considering, wont peel like epoxy. Do a google search on it to see more images. You need to find a reputable person that knows what they are doing or it won't last.

I was thinking of doing this.

I was thinking of doing this.

I seriously considered it, but I liked the idea that I could make a patterned colored floor with race deck. They advised me that since the floor was old they didn't recommend coloring as oils etc would have seeped in and the color wouldn't take. The race deck works well with my garage and it's paint scheme so I have no regrets.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=diamond+polished+concrete+3000&start=82&um=1&hl=en&biw=1600&bih=658&tbm=isch&tbnid=b6V4XNrVFY_ZoM:&imgrefurl=http://www.sw-construction.com/what%2520is%2520concrete%2520polish.htm&docid=nIRBS5so3nWZkM&imgurl=http://www.sw-construction.com/what%252520i2.jpg&w=825&h=619&ei=bRZ2T-u0HrS00AGh-62_DQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=1175&vpy=335&dur=6453&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=93&ty=161&sig=115509065496079618030&page=4&tbnh=141&tbnw=187&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:26,s:82

I initially had a concrete coating, which was stained. Similar to an epoxy coat, but it was actually concrete. The contractor did this, "because it doesn't peel." Well it did, twice, both after rains. I ended up doing the diamond polish and have never looked back. Sad thing is that I initially wanted the diamond polish, but could not find anybody willing to do my residential garage at the time.

Kenny

I got my epoxy paint from Griot's Garage. Cleaned the concrete with acid (a lot easier than it sounds) and applied two coats (also very easy - pour some paint on like molasses and use a roller - no pan required). I was so happy with the results that I put two more coats on after a few years even though it didn't need it. Sure is a wonderful surface - oil spills wipe up perfectly, the floor isn't cold, it looks terrific, and it wears well.

I used a 2 part epoxy system on my new garage floor 5 years ago. I applied it as directed, used a space heater to keep it warm while it set up. It's not perfect after 5 years, but holding up well for the $250.00 I spent. Still looks good after I power wash it in the spring every year.

+1 for acid stain concrete
My neighbor went really cheap. He swept, vacuumed and dry mopped the concrete floor, then applied Johnson's floor wax. 10 years later, it looks really good and we deal with road salt and sand all winter here. I am really impressed with the $30 solution.

I used a 2 part epoxy system on my new garage floor 5 years ago. I applied it as directed, used a space heater to keep it warm while it set up. It's not perfect after 5 years, but holding up well for the $250.00 I spent. Still looks good after I power wash it in the spring every year.

I did the same on mine from Loews. It looks good and I have no problems except I didn't but enough glitter stuff down and it is deadly slippery when wet.

Long story short. I epoxied our garage before we moved in. Once we move in, there would never be a chance to do this since crap would be all over!

I was going to go with some industry stuff that was ordered via Lowes. But apparently they kept screwing it up! I mean literally 3-weeks later, it was still the wrong stuff or we don't know where it is, etc...I gave up, as we needed to move our stuff in, and ended up using off the shelf Lowe's stuff. :mad: I figured this would be okay since I don't do a lot of wrenching in the garage. Time will tell!

The stuff I originally wanted was like $500 for a 2 car garage (not water based). The stuff I ended up with was like $150 for a 2 car garage (water based). So we'll see how this goes! I actually did a lot of reading on epoxing floors prior to doing this. Couple of notes:
-don't use the "anti-slip" stuff they sell at lowe's/homedepot; that stuff is basically glass! If you slip or eat it into the ground, it will tear up your knees, elbows, etc!
-I ended up getting something called "Shark grip" which is more like a talcum powder finish. Still has the grip for when the floor is wet, but supposedly won't tear you up. (I have nothing to report as I have not slipped yet :biggrin: and I hope I won't!)
-once the 2 components are mixed together for the epoxy, it hardens fast if the weather is warm! I did half a garage, then mixed the other 2 gallons to do the other side
-it says you can walk on it after 12-hrs and park a hot car after 72-hrs; we waited a week to do anything, so time will tell how it will look and hold up.

shameless plug: I'm in the San Francisco bay area if anyone is doing this, i have some of that shark powder left (I think i might have used like 1/5th of it!) and wants to trade me a beer or something for it!

I used the U-Coat It epoxy system and have been happy with it for about two years. Before and after photos attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0969.jpg
    IMG_0969.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0970.jpg
    IMG_0970.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 181
I've used the 2 part epoxy that I purchase at your local home improvement store. I applied it without the color flakes and it has been good for over 2 years now with no flaking or issues. Garage floor is also 2 years new and also has a vapor barrier put down before the slab was poured and etched when concrete was cured. Good luck on your project.

"Old style" two-part (equal parts A and B as opposed to the formulations I see now with a big difference between part A and part B) from home improvement center...8+ years...no issues!

Back