• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

215 tire on an 8" rim

I am planning on tracking my car for the first time (have tracked previous cars). The front wheels are 17x8 on 215/40/17 hankook ventus tires. I know that this is considered a slightly 'stretched' fit. Is this a safety concern on the track?

I don't want to run 235 tires due to the rubbing issues and am too cheap/broke to purchase a set of dedicated track tires/rims at the moment. I found yokohoma s drives in 225/35/17. Would these tires on my 17x8 rim be a safer bet? Do the 215 on an 8" rim even present any safety issues?

Thanks in advance!

Green light :D

Thanks for the response Brylek! Just to clarify, do I have the green light on the current 215's or the 225 yokohomas! What is the drawback to a stretched tire aside from no rim curbing protection? Is there a greater chance of a blowout?

thats what i run, its a little stretched, but its still within acceptable range.

Most 215/40-17 tires have an approved range of rim widths of 7.0-8.5 inches. A 17x8 rim is in that range - heck, it's even in the middle of the range! Just do it, no worries there.

Here's my 17x8 with 215/40/17 Dunlop Star Specs at Streets of Willow. Done it tons of times, with zero issues.
SOW_073011_Ses1_-_020.jpg

Thanks a lot guys! Looking forward to my first track session with this car!

I bought Motul RBF600 fluid and installed Hawk HP+ Front and Hawk HPS rear pads. Since its my first time out with it I figure I'll go with street/track pads. I also ordered the Porsche 993 brake ducts hoping they come in this week before the track :)

I'll post some video of my session, although I'm a noob so don't expect any F1 caliber driving. :tongue:

BTW, that painter's tape isn't going to help your finish, and could even do some damage. And it's not like you need it to keep from shattering glass headlights. ;)

BTW, that painter's tape isn't going to help your finish, and could even do some damage. And it's not like you need it to keep from shattering glass headlights. ;)

What's a better alternative to protect against rock chips?

I'm a fan of blue painters tape as long as you remove it promtly. I've not experienced any paint issues.I'm not as agressive as above I only use it on forward facing frontend.Of course my 96 original black paint already has a nice pitted patina:wink:

Last edited:
^^^ Not only is there an SUV on track, it's running right up his a$$.

I'm a fan of blue painters tape as long as you remove it promtly.

I left mine on for a week after the track day, then had it professionally detailed. They didn't seem to mention any paint issues.. :redface:

Also the front half has a clear bra, but I figured I would double protect the front.

What's a better alternative to protect against rock chips?
You don't need it. You're trying to protect against something that doesn't happen. There are almost never rocks on racetracks to cause rock chips. I've never incurred damage from rock chips in my 30,000 miles driven on racetracks. (Although I've had plenty of black marks from rubber/tire chunks, but those buff off easily.)

Now, if you want to use painter's tape when you're driving on back roads, feel free.

You don't need it. You're trying to protect against something that doesn't happen. There are almost never rocks on racetracks to cause rock chips. I've never incurred damage from rock chips in my 30,000 miles driven on racetracks.

Haha... you must drive tracks that the run off and off track areas are all grass... must be nice...

Here in SoCal the off track at Willow Springs, Chuckwalla and Buttonwillow is all DIRT. So whenever a car goes off track and comes back on, the entire track is covered in dirt and rocks. What happens when you're following a car close doing 100mph a there's dirt on the track? You get TONS or rock chips.

sow0132si.jpg

bigwillowgripytire.jpg

Video gives a nice closeup of the rocks and dirt (and a crash)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/F8Wf1JQgOwI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks. Any thoughts of a 275/35/18 for the rear in this setup?

You may have some TCS issues with the 215/40/17 front and it'll also make the car understeer more - which may or may not be desirable..

Back