• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DIY: Carbon fiber wrapping/skinning

Yeah things like that happen doing this kind of thing. Those slivers of carbon can destroy your finger tips.I've even had one go under a finger nail before.

Mr goat. Regarding that ashtray door. Do you have any problems with yours binding opening and closing?the only time I did one I couldn't wrap the entire plastic piece and keep it from sticking.

I've experienced four kinds of injuries doing this. Carbon fiber slivers stinging, single strands getting through your skin causing pain and itch, skin removal from sanding too much, and the worst, allergic reaction from the epoxy powder generated from the sanding. The last one required medication.

Ashtray door: yes I have binding, caused from the upper part. One of the small fitment issues. I'm gonna take some material off from the console in order to fix it.

How to Stop the MESS.

Yes I thought about that. To work with the resin in vacuum would greatly ease the problem with aerated resin. However I found that pre-heating the resin a little, stirring slowly and heating the resin after it has been applied removes almost all trapped air.

Nice! Get pics of them installed when you are done! Would like to see the effect of this red/black cloth on the NSX :biggrin:

Carbon mods has two types of resin, one which is a little thicker for "manual" applying, and one really thin for vacuum resin infusion. The thicker one is used for skinning. It is very thick at cold temps but the viscosity is greatly reduced with increasing temps. Att room remp, it is slightly thicker than maple syryp.

Get skinning then! :wink:

Tip!
I got this multitool and used it for the polishing step. I achieved much better results with this.

Have a look:

I have this enormous pile of plastic interior pieces that are up for the skinning but working a few at a time. Next in line:

Messy as hell! Cutting the CF cloth renders a lot of free strands that get flying around the room.

Get 'em skinning!

TRY THIS:
put masking tape on both sides of fiber before cutting, press down hard to grab every thread.... cut down middle of masking tape...this shouls prevent the fiber flying mess and help preserve the weave integrity for laying corners etc

Back