• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

LED Tail light concept

Well they are finished. From this thread you can see it from sketch to actually being installed on my car! This first video I took isn't the greatest. It's too dark to be able to see the lights in less than a red blur. I'll put up another one tomorrow. What's everyone think??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vTG0mbWOxM&feature=plcp

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_vTG0mbWOxM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I may have to try something like that. I just used regular plexi for the flat section and the plexi tubes. Neither of which transmit light very well. In the military I have learned to always improve anything you can so I may have to check this out. The only issue is that the tails I have made up thus far have "sections" that light up for the running lights, breaks, and turn signals. I'm not sure how to separate the sections. I'll work on something though.

I may have to try something like that. I just used regular plexi for the flat section and the plexi tubes. Neither of which transmit light very well. In the military I have learned to always improve anything you can so I may have to check this out. The only issue is that the tails I have made up thus far have "sections" that light up for the running lights, breaks, and turn signals. I'm not sure how to separate the sections. I'll work on something though.

I think I have a local supplier for Acrylite products.
Maybe I'll do a beer/garage project one of these weekends and slap some various leds on an endlighten rod to test the light transmission.
If I get the spare time, you'll see pics here

I would really like to see what you come up with. Like I said I may order a small amount for some tinkering. Beer is the best way to work on all of these things.... Especially when fabricating and designing things from scratch. I have a kegerator right beside my work desk in my garage!

Very cool...I like it. I've been wanting to do something similar.

Can they blink to music like those decorated houses at Christmas time? :D

Thanks, haha I do wish they lit up to music.... or to the music of the exhaust! If only I was good with programing. Here's another shot of them. I still need to get a video in the day light. It's pretty cloudy during this picture.

photo.jpg

IMG_3619.jpg

Last edited:
I would really like to see what you come up with. Like I said I may order a small amount for some tinkering. Beer is the best way to work on all of these things.... Especially when fabricating and designing things from scratch. I have a kegerator right beside my work desk in my garage!

Local supplier is looking into getting me some rod and sheet samples. :biggrin:

Awww man. I need to find a vendor and try that myself. I'd like to check the stuff out but don't want to spend the $50-$60 just to experiment. Let me know how it goes.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zJaeICPC2mo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Video in the daylight. You can see the pattern better. They still look a little odd on the video though. In person they all look the same.

I'm thinking about unloading a few custom "dealer choice" aka buyer decision kits...... I would like to decide with the buyer and create a few new custom kit ideas.....Or you can use the design I have on mine. Any takers or ideas for new types of kits......this also includes the integrated front DTR and front turn signals or any other crazy ideas....

I Haven't seen these seen I left Okinawa. We called them speed blinkers. The last set I Had was on my 89 nissan sentra. Some buddies and I were trying to find some about 4months ago.

Haven't seen LED tails like this? Or this style? I haven't seen ones like this yet. But then again in Okie you may see some different crap. Ive had military buddies get a lot of gear from there to build up their cars cheap.

No, they didn't look like these but they functioned the same. Mine came with a controller for speed of blinkers and 3-4 light variations. And they were not LED

Last edited:
Hmmm I may have to check them out. I'd basically like to make and sell a few custom kits and new ideas to make things that aren't being made for the NSX never hurt. I have actually been debating slowing these down a little more. I have everything to do it. They could be even faster through. I have a small resistance load on them now but could increase it.

Last edited:
IMHO they'd look better with larger LEDs.

I didn't find any that were much bigger. I'm planning on working on a solid bar concept next. Once my wife and I move and settle in I will be making and designing a few new kit types and selling them.

Look up Super Flux / Piranha LEDs.

Js2k, I'll check out those LED's tonight. I've actually seen the super flux's

neonshaun, the full diffuser is the next phase of the plan. I am wanting to make a few custom kits for whoever has any new ideas, but I'd like to put more options on the table. A full diffused lens being the next option.

Last edited:

Attachments

• tails1.gif
    tails1.gif
    92.7 KB · Views: 225
  • tails2.gif
    tails2.gif
    93.1 KB · Views: 194
  • tails3.gif
    tails3.gif
    93.1 KB · Views: 197
  • tails4.gif
    tails4.gif
    93.8 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
I could do the horizontal stripes easy. With mine the stripes are at an angle so that I could fill in the section on the edges above the turn signals. Ive also thought about maybe vertical striped or doing the block style ones I have seen people do. My goal is to just build whatever the customer wants but have a few options to choose from.

I did order some plexi designed for the diffusion purpose. Also some edgelit plexi. I would like to see which one diffuses but still transmitts enough light. I'll probably re-do my DTR/turn signal lights first and then experiment with the tails.

I picked up a few of thoes super flux LED's to experiment with. I should be getting them today, so let the fun begin. I also bought a few different materials from ACRYLITE. After I get a few things put together, I'll post the progress.

Back