• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

LED Tail light concept

So I tested out the new diffusion products and new LED's. I love the light tube look, the only issue is that I'm going to have to figure out a way to have the light tube directly exposed for it to give the full effect. To make it look solid like the other cars do I would have to cut the lens and mount the light bar in it's place to keep the DTR integrated with the turn signals.

As for the tails... the material diffuses the light evenly if there is about an inch of distance between it and the LED's. There is a little loss of intensity, but the tails as you can see are VERY bright anyway. I think I'll loose the pattern I have installed in my tails right now. I think ill try to wire up something new and try that out.

Here's what I was thinking for the next experimental set! Gotta love the photo chop!!

new turns.jpg

Tails when they are on

new turns turn signal.jpg

Turn signal section

new turns break1.jpg

Break section

Can you do a plain one using the rigid frosted plastic rectangle for the two main brake lights? Leaving the turn signals alone, I just want a solid sheet that fills up the rectangle portion for the brake lights/tail lamps. Similar to the mega bar style another vendor had offered here awhile back. I bet the rear of this plastic sheet could be covered with a reflective tape similar to the BMW halo DIY video to make a simple upgrade for our cars.

Last edited:
I would have to see exactly what you mean. I know that fabricating this stuff isn't an issue. PM me an image or drawing, It dosen't sound like it would be an issue.

I have a surprise design I'm going to start fabricating today. I'm sure I will have one finished up by the end of this weekend.:biggrin:

I'd like to see something like what BMW is doing, meaning you can't see the LED bulb source or even decipher where it is, they are using these frosted plastic shapes to diffuse the light so the plastic just glows. It looks like they are just using one LED to light up the whole thing. Here's what I mean:

BMW-ALMS-M3-tail-light-sunrise.jpg

2012-bmw-concept-m5-taillight-photo-397022-s-1280x782.jpg

2012-bmw-650i-coupe-rear-light.jpg

2012_bmw_3-series_uk_45_1024x768.jpg

Now apply that concept and use a rectangular sheet of plastic in the shape of this mega-bar:
12.jpg

The advantage would be using less LEDs so hopefully lower cost/complexity/labor and a cleaner OEM style updated look. I bet they would sell like hotcakes if there were an effective inexpensive solution to this. And if an LED burns out maybe it wouldn't even be noticeable with the diffusion?

Last edited:
This is exactly what I'm going for, only not the rectangle. I wanted to make a new pattern that no one else has done. Another huge difference between what I'm working on and the BMW examples is that those are built into the lens. What I'm planning will be under the lens but hopefully will have the same effect. Once I post up the results you will have to see what ya think. I'm hoping it will be close to what everyone has been wanting.

Glad to hear that! Maybe you can make a "standard" version using the plain rectangle which should have the widest appeal ;) IMHO trying to do more than the rectangle just "telegraphs" aftermarket equipment and creates mfg. complications.

I know exactly what you're talking about. There was actually 2 types of blinkers. One that worked with your signal lights, and another that worked with your brake lights. I had them on my rx7 years ago. I've also kept a couple of extra sets in the closet in case I ever wanted to install them on another car! I'm sure they're almost impossible to find new or stocked on any shelf as they were "old skool" mods originating in Japan.

I've been considering doing this for a while now, but it looks like all my play money is gonna go to a snap ring fix/new clutch. Awesome. :frown:

Anyways, I was gonna pick up these lumileds.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/600-AGILENT...H_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27cbca8d23&vxp=mtr

16c each seems pretty good? You're using strips?

diffused looks cool...

I LIKE these!

I DO NOT like that BMW thing that makes the car look like it has "Dame Edna" eyelashes. The BMW & NSX do not look good in "drag". :-D

Following with great interest...

I've been considering doing this for a while now, but it looks like all my play money is gonna go to a snap ring fix/new clutch. Awesome. :frown:

Anyways, I was gonna pick up these lumileds.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/600-AGILENT...H_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27cbca8d23&vxp=mtr

16c each seems pretty good? You're using strips?

diffused looks cool...

Using a diffuser correctly would probably require half the LEDs, running at a higher brightness.

For anyone who tries this, keep in mind, you'll have to make a divider between the light sections so it doesn't bleed out in to un-illuminated sections. It would end up being basically an enclosed box that gets put in to the tail light instead of a flat panel...

Last edited:
Why not a thick panel and just cover the ends and back with reflective tape?

You guys are thinking along the same lines as what I'm building now. I am building a "box" that will be installed in the tail lights. There will be a bottom layer that has the LEDs in it facing up. Then all the sections will be divided with mirror tape on the edges to reflect any extra light up. Then the top layer will be the diffuser plexi, also cut to prevent light from bleeding out. It will end up a little over an inch thick and install behind the red lens of the OEM tails. The only think I'm having trouble visualizing right now, is how the diffuser plexi, ect will look under the red lens. I'll keep posting my progress and everyone should have a pretty good idea of what I'm trying to accomplish in a few days.

Here is some progress. I'm going to try another type of diffuser plexi before I finish building the next set of tail lights. I also had to order more red LED's so I'm waiting on that...... Everything is working out as planned thus far.:biggrin:

image(2).jpg

image_6.jpg

image_5.jpg

I DO NOT like that BMW thing that makes the car look like it has "Dame Edna" eyelashes. The BMW & NSX do not look good in "drag".

Dear God, I thought I was the only one who felt this way! Those BMW tail lights are so hideous that I would refuse to own that BMW because of them. :eek: Thank goodness they keep on evolving.

Dear God, I thought I was the only one who felt this way! Those BMW tail lights are so hideous that I would refuse to own that BMW because of them. :eek: Thank goodness they keep on evolving.

I wonder is BMW is paying royalties to Dame Edna? :D

I agree, IF I wanted a BMW, THAT would be the deal-breaker.

Maybe some closet "queens" work in design at BMW...

"...not that there's anything wrong with that."
-Jerry Seinfield

Well I've got the acrylic rods bent and ready to install in the integrated front DTR/turn signals. I am just waiting on the rest of the LED's to finish the mock up. I am also waiting on the rest of the LED's to finish up the tail light. I think with this mock up you can get the idea of what it will look like in the end. The only think im actually worried about is the standoff between this LED box I'm building and the red OEM lens itself. I think I will loose a little of the "section" look and some of the sharpness between lit areas. This is the big difference between what I am building and what the factory companies are making. Their "box" is integrated into their lens.......

Oh well, after the wife and I get back home in about 2 weeks I'll get a set finished up and ready for everyone to see. Here are some pics of the progress though.

image(3).jpg
DTR's bent to match the front turn signals with only 1 LED, and I plan on using two.

image(2).jpg
Partial tail light set up without diffuser

image.jpg
Partial tail light set up with diffuser

Also I know people have been looking for the OEM diffused look.....That will be my next project. For now I'm just experimenting with some funky designs.....This is the one I'm looking to finish my my next upgrade on my NSX. Here it is.

new tails.jpg

Last edited:
Back