• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

LED Tail light concept

I am hoping to get a better video in the next few days. I wasn't going to put the NSX outside in the rain to get a better video. Iphones need better cameras I guess.

As far as a DIY. I could try to post one up, but I didn't really get many pictures of the process. I described what I was planning in this thread on page 3 I believe. I'm also still not sure if I want to create a vendor page and make a few to sell off.

Damn, that's sweet. I just started up a thread on Jeep commander.com to do a similar type of thing to our vehicles. You are a very inspiring person Alec :)

I'm glad to be an inspiration! Good luck with it. If you need any help just shoot me a PM. If you have some experience with wiring, LED's, Ect. It isn't really too difficult.

I should be posting a better video in the next day or two. I have to detail the car before the wife and I head down to Myrtle beach for new years anyway....

Ok so before I detailed the car I got a quick video in the light. It looks very odd to the naked eye. Not bad odd, just very different. The running lights in the daylight are very soft and it almost just looks like light reflecting. You can see the breaks and turn signals just fine though. I think its because the channel that the LED's are set in for the running lights is so thin it makes it look like a neon tube or something in the sun light. I got a shot of them when it was starting to get a little darker also. They look much brighter.

I'm very much loving them though! I think they look a lot different from things most people have seen.

IMG_3930.jpg
IMG_3932.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S830DK2TuCk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It all looks very nice, but I think that the signal light flash is too fast, almost like when the flasher is on its last legs or one of the front signal bulbs is dead, IMO. The rest is, a heck of job well done!!! Much impressed.

91 NSX Red/Black
09 VW Jetta TDI White

It all looks very nice, but I think that the signal light flash is too fast, almost like when the flasher is on its last legs or one of the front signal bulbs is dead, IMO. The rest is, a heck of job well done!!! Much impressed.

The entire turn signal system works on resistance. If the car isn't getting that resistance, it thinks a bulb is out and makes them blink fast to let the driver know that something is wrong. Whenever you change everything to LEDs you have this issue. LEDs draw a LOT less power so the car thinks its burnt out bulbs. There is a VERY simple solution to this. Just put a resistance load on the turn signals. I have everything here to do it. Just haven't gotten to it yet. It's one of those simple final step things.

As mentioned, the factory flasher depends on resistance to function properly. LEDs have practically no electrical load and so generate too little resistance to trigger the factory flasher. The fix is simple, replace the stock flasher with an electronic flasher - available for $15 or so from superbrightleds.com. I have a '72 Detomaso Pantera that I've replaced literally every incandescent bulb with LEDs (except the headlight). The above electronic flasher allows the turn signals and emergency lights to work perfectly.

I've got everything I need to fix the hyper flash. I'm just not that worried about it.

To answer neonshaun's questions. Yes there are dividers between the lit sections. With my high tech iPhone camera the contrast in each section looks odd I agree. In person it's an evenly distributed light section.

something like a 7ohm 50w resistor is the simplest way to stop the hyperflash.

the flasher unit monitors the CURRENT drawn by the indicator bulbs, and if its too low will hyperflash to show a bulb is out. so a load resistor, or even a bulb in a box will correct it

electronic flasher units do the same current measurement, unless its one designed for led lighting

hth

Those are actually exactly what I have and used on the first set of tails I made. Only issue is the placement because they heat up.

As far as selling these things goes. Once my wife and I move into the house we just bought and everything gets set up as far as a garage goes, I intend on making a few sets for others and if it goes well, continuing to do so.

As far as price. I would say in the neighborhood of what others have been for a personalized or customer choice design like mine, and cheaper for a set that is set up like the OEM tails, but diffused still. I have a few ideas floating around in my head. Ill be creating a vendor page though.

Thanks! I did change it up a bit for the model that I made for my car. Just messed around with sketches and figured I would spice it up a bit. Someone else may want that design though. I'd like to make whatever pattern people want. If I'm hand making them then the buyer may as well get exactly what they want.

im impressed with your handy work alec. i have seen many ugly ones in the past, but yours definitely one of the better.

when are you gonna create the vendor page ? what would you be requiring from the buyer ? do we need to send our tail-lights to you, eg. exchange basis ? or you do you supply complete ?

I'm also going to do the diffused integrated front turn signal/DTR's this weekend, BUT to answer those questions....

I'll be creating the vendor page after my wife and I move, so I'm guessing about a month. We close on the 22nd so after I set up shop Ill set it up.

I want to put out a few options as far as requirements go. If the customer wants tails like my set up, they can either send me theirs or I can get new ones to build them with at the buyers expense. I would also like to make a set up that requires no cutting and would look just like a diffused LED version of the OEM tail lights. This way I can just send the customer the inserts like other vendors do and just have the customer put them in.

I would like to just work the options out with the customer to make it the best situation for everyone.

sounds like good options

since i'm millions miles away from you guys (in auckland, new zealand), best cheapest option for me is to buy the insert and install it myself i guess :)

well, pls do keep us posted - if the price is right, i'm definitely keen for a set :)

An international sale to kick it off sounds good.

One of my only concerns is time. I only do this as a hobby and I'm active duty military. I just hope people aren't upset if it takes a few weeks to put out a set of tails....

Would love to see what you can come up with for the front turn signals. The tail lights are pretty trick too!
I'm also going to do the diffused integrated front turn signal/DTR's this weekend, BUT to answer those questions....

I'll be creating the vendor page after my wife and I move, so I'm guessing about a month. We close on the 22nd so after I set up shop Ill set it up.

I want to put out a few options as far as requirements go. If the customer wants tails like my set up, they can either send me theirs or I can get new ones to build them with at the buyers expense. I would also like to make a set up that requires no cutting and would look just like a diffused LED version of the OEM tail lights. This way I can just send the customer the inserts like other vendors do and just have the customer put them in.

I would like to just work the options out with the customer to make it the best situation for everyone.

The fronts are actually just about finished.... One issue I ran into....I cracked the OEM lenses......So I made my own. One thing about the fronts the I first noticed was the light output. The diffused tails are tucked under that red lens and the darker red LED's make it through better. In direct sunlight the front turn/DTR's are not as bright diffused. In the dark they look friggin fantastic, but I barely ever drive my car in the dark anyway. I'll have some pics up in the next few days before I pack up the garage for the move next week. I'm also working on another version of DTR's for NA1's and NA2's.

I just finished a LED project on the TL tail lights and will start on the NSX ones next (TL tail lights are cheaper if I screw up, haha).

What did you use to build that box to limit the spread of lighting?

Last edited:
Back