• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

BBK Require Engineering Cert?

Gday all,

Something I'll consider down the track is a BBK like the Stoptech or Brembos.

Does installing one of these require an engineering cert? Especially when it looks like it requires adapters?

Michael.

AAAAaaaahhhhhh, looks like the Aussie dollar is heading south..... Trusting my luck, by the time I'm ready for the BBK, the Aussie dollar will get 50 US cents...... :frown:

Can answer for in Victoria, though this is generally true for most states. Yes, any changes to the brakes technically require a Eng. Certificate. Dust boot covers are the one item on many brake upgrades that do not meet specifications, though be careful on the brake lines as well.
Having overseas standards that are met, that exceed the Australian Standard, does not mean that they will be accepted.

Can answer for in Victoria, though this is generally true for most states. Yes, any changes to the brakes technically require a Eng. Certificate. Dust boot covers are the one item on many brake upgrades that do not meet specifications, though be careful on the brake lines as well.
Having overseas standards that are met, that exceed the Australian Standard, does not mean that they will be accepted.

yeah, i'm in vic also.

It's a real bummer that an eng cert is required as i'm assuming our market is too small to get their BBKs accredited to avoid the need for the eng cert.

So do people in aus only put bbks on their track cars then? I would have thought the process and cost would make it tough to justify a bbk for a road vehicle.

yeah, i'm in vic also.

It's a real bummer that an eng cert is required as i'm assuming our market is too small to get their BBKs accredited to avoid the need for the eng cert.

So do people in aus only put bbks on their track cars then? I would have thought the process and cost would make it tough to justify a bbk for a road vehicle.
What would be needed? to get it all road legal?
I'd like to know maybe we can make approved BBK's for the AUS market perhaps a GB?

Someone else will need to chime in on the engineering cert process.

Which calipers front and rear do use? Rotors? How about eBrake?
We generally use the OE calipers, 328x28 front and 322x22 rear.
You will retain all OE functionality. rotors are 2 piece. handbrake is the OE one.

We can use other ones options then are huge.

We generally use the OE calipers, 328x28 front and 322x22 rear.
You will retain all OE functionality. rotors are 2 piece. handbrake is the OE one.

We can use other ones options then are huge.

I hope you don't mind me asking this question, how do your components make this a BBK?

It sounds like the only change are the rotors and/or pads, and if this is the case, an engineering certificate will not be required.

I hope you don't mind me asking this question, how do your components make this a BBK?

It sounds like the only change are the rotors and/or pads, and if this is the case, an engineering certificate will not be required.
Kit comes with custom machined caliper brackets, and custom machined rotor hat for the two piece rotor.
Requiring 17 inch wheels minimum.

I've had a BBK for 7 years and never got eng. cert. I'm in NSW. Brakes are not as obvious and on a car like NSX looks like it came from factory as standard.

yeah, i'm in vic also.

As stated above it is very rare to get pulled up for your brakes. It's only when you are going after a full eng. certificate that it may become an issue. I have 6 pot Brembos on mine and know of dozens of cars with upgraded brakes that would not technically pass a roadworthy though every one of them has.
I would say if you want to go for a big kit you run an extremley low chance of an issue with the cops, and even if there is it's a easy swap to go back to stock for a inspection.

Thanks guys for your replies.

It's not so much that I'm worried about being caught by the cops......more so being worried that an insurance claim not being honoured. Call me a wimp. :redface:

Thanks guys for your replies.

It's not so much that I'm worried about being caught by the cops......more so being worried that an insurance claim not being honoured. Call me a wimp. :redface:

Check with your insurer, some will cover you as long as the modification did not cause the accident. The brakes would be a gamble though as they could in most cases blame them.

Check with your insurer, some will cover you as long as the modification did not cause the accident. The brakes would be a gamble though as they could in most cases blame them.

Yeah, I'll give them a buzz............but too be honest, after the $$$ I've just recently spent, I'm hoping they will say it's a no go.......... :tongue:

Yeah, I'll give them a buzz............but too be honest, after the $$$ I've just recently spent, I'm hoping they will say it's a no go.......... :tongue:

Mine came with just the front done, a devil in disguise. Have to spend the $ to do the rears, the look is driving me nuts. Always another $ to be spent.:rolleyes:

you should contact Mike (AU NSX)
He has his highly modified nsx insured.
I'm not sure who with but he told the insurance company all the mods he installed and they still insured him.

you should contact Mike (AU NSX)
He has his highly modified nsx insured.
I'm not sure who with but he told the insurance company all the mods he installed and they still insured him.

Will do.......will need to save.......so much money spent recently. :redface:

Will do.......will need to save.......so much money spent recently. :redface:
I know you mean!!
If your not going to track the car its not really necessary.
You can get quite good braking performance using a harder pad.
I'm waiting till my car is track ready before upgrading brakes.

Back