Thread: time limit to edit posts

Registered Vendor ScienceofSpeed's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    61 (98%)

time limit to edit posts

I am aware that there is a time limit to be able to edit posts (I believe it is 30 days?) at which time the edit button is removed from a post.

I am curious about the logic on this as it is not standard practice on other forums. By not being able to edit the post, you must instead update the information in the thread by posting in the thread. Because of the linear nature of forums like this, a reader viewing the post that reads out of date information in the original post may easily miss the updated information because the update is located further down the page or on a completely separate page. Since there is no way to reference the original post, the two old and new information becomes disjointed.

Another example is used parts posts. If the part sells beyond the allowed period to edit the post, you must post separately that it is "sold" which then adds work for the moderators to review and approve.

I cannot think of any negative aspects of allowing users to edit their posts. The edit does not "bump" a thread to the top, the edit is date/time stamped, and users even have the ability to add a note why the edit was done. One could make an argument that this may result in information being removed that may be valuable to others - but since only the author has this ability, it strikes me to not be valid.

I think the ability to edit posts will encourage authors to keep their information shared relevant & timely.

regards,
    -- Chris

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)

Re: time limit to edit posts

^ can't agree more.... i'm thinking about the threads i created to list parts and their photos (wiki just doesn't work for me)
    Proud owner of 97 NA1 NSX Formula Red coupe

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

This is a good idea. I seen other forums with build threads and it was nice to just look at the first post as they updated it over and over and not having to scroll thru especially if it was going on for awhile and you didn't see it before
    91 Red NSX Eibach, Koni, Weds SA-70

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)

I vote for the edit button too!
    Vendor Page: AP-X Systems
    AP-X NSX Turbo kit - AP-X NSX N/A Exhaust - AP-X NSX Custom subwoofer enclosure
    I stock & install Hugo's P/window upgrade & teflon guides

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

3rd 4th and 5th that notion. I'd like to summarize a posting I have that was back in 200?...

Just FYI, the current setting is 60 days.

The reason I enabled the setting to lock post from editing to begin with was that I was seeing recurring problems, particularly in the Marketplace section. Two examples of the most common types of problems:

* Someone selling a car edits the original 6-month-old post and posts a reply saying "new lower price!" when in fact they didn't lower it at all. I will generously categorize this as "misleading."

* Vendors remove item pricing from old abandoned threads before creating a new thread with a higher price. This isn't necessarily misleading, but it is historical fact in the community that the price used to be lower. I'm not sure what to call this.. maybe concealing. Yes, prices change. But I am not a fan of people trying to "edit history" in this way. If anyone complains that it used to be cheaper, well, almost everything used to be cheaper. If the price increase is reasonable, reasonable customers will pay it.

I realize there are down-sides to locking old posts from editing as well and that this is far from a perfect solution.

As for things like parts lists and photos, they absolutely need to go in the wiki. There is everyone someone who has offered to do this work for you. See http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152742

NSXPrime.com Champion
    Moderator: Marketplace
    Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

If anyone needs older posts edited in the marketplace, you can always PM a moderator to make any changes. I get PM's all the time for this
    Want to give something back to NSXPrime? Click me!

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)

Hi,

and can't that rule be applied to the marketplace foruns only??

one thing that is annoying is that lot's of sellers, once the part is sold, edit the original post to remove all the info regarding that part, as in price, photos, etc.
    I think that is also as bad.

Thanks,
    Nuno
    Proud owner of 97 NA1 NSX Formula Red coupe

Feedback Score
    14 (94%)

Quote Originally Posted by UnhuZ View Post
    one thing that is annoying is that lot's of sellers, once the part is sold, edit the original post to remove all the info regarding that part, as in price, photos, etc.

Thanks,
    Nuno
    This drives me absolutely bonkers. Noting the part is SOLD is great, but leaving the information, price, and photos would be GREAT for future reference. I have no idea why people choose to delete everything.
    *2004 Silverstone/Silver SOLD*

Hi,

No. It is a global setting.

I agree. The only way I know to really reduce how much of that occurs would be to reduce the edit time substantially. I picked 60 days as my best attempt at a compromise between letting folks have some latitude with editing and preventing what I feel is misuse. But there is nothing magic about that number.

Feedback Score
    24 (96%)

well I have seen people go back and edit their post and you dont know what or why they edit it.

I remember some one was tring to sell a friends NSX and after a ton of pages went back thru and edited everything he was talking about
    with a " ... " for some reason tring to hide something.

then recently there was a guy selling stuff after he sold it, he would then go back and " edit it " and delete everything in the orginal thread

example:

thread title = 2005 muffler/cats

edit = :SOLD

now I have a 2005 muffler and cats for sale I go to this thread to get an estimate of how much I should charge for my set, that would be a fair price and its blank.

I say keep it as is, or change the setting to 1 day. after 1 day you cant edit anything you posted.

Feedback Score
    14 (94%)
    Just thinking out loud here, but what if there was a compromise and we do the best of both worlds?

1. Remove the time limit to edit posts, making the option indefinite.
    2. Have it set so that any edited posts must enter a moderation queue for approval. (this would only work if there is a way to set this as the original post in the thread, not every post).

This allows vendors to edit posts regardless of age and moderators can approve/deny based on validity as well as allow us to prevent people from completely editing a for sale thread to only read as "sold". If this requires an additional moderator or two to assist with, I'm pretty sure there a a few of us regulars willing to assist.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

Those vendor and for sale posts seem to get edited almost right away, and I must say it does drive me nuts to not be able to go back and see what something sold for. But if it is done anyway... because it seems most are done before 60 days... why am I also losing the right to edit a post that is important and not sale-related after 60 days?

Seems like we are getting the worst of both worlds.
    Last edited by TURBO2GO; 05-01-2012 at 05:35.
    '05 silverstone. CTSC. ARC Titanium. GT1-F1 headers. JRZ Race dampers, Carbon Ceramic BBK.

Quote Originally Posted by HIJACKER View Post
    Just thinking out loud here, but what if there was a compromise and we do the best of both worlds?

1. Remove the time limit to edit posts, making the option indefinite.
    2. Have it set so that any edited posts must enter a moderation queue for approval. (this would only work if there is a way to set this as the original post in the thread, not every post).

This allows vendors to edit posts regardless of age and moderators can approve/deny based on validity as well as allow us to prevent people from completely editing a for sale thread to only read as "sold". If this requires an additional moderator or two to assist with, I'm pretty sure there a a few of us regulars willing to assist.
    Interesting idea... Unfortunately the software has no mechanism for moderator approval of edits.

Quote Originally Posted by TURBO2GO View Post
    Those vendor and for sale posts seem to get edited almost right away
    The edits that are done right away are typically just fixing typos, formatting, etc... not the types of abuse I characterized above.

If you look back through the Marketplace the % of ads edited to delete contents is pretty small. Moderators often restore the contents if they run across it happening, which is fairly often since edits don't go back past 60 days so the ads being edited are relatively fresh. It's annoying when it happens, but as I said I'd have to cut the edit time down substantially to reduce it much further. I can do that if people don't think there is much benefit to having it at 60 days versus say 7 or even 1 as Shawn proposed above.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NSX Prime View Post
    I can do that if people don't think there is much benefit to having it at 60 days versus say 7 or even 1 as Shawn proposed above.
    I'm not sure I like having such a short time limit to edit my posts, as I sometimes notice glaring grammatical errors days (or even weeks) after my original submission, and being the OCD person that I am, I like being able to correct those mistakes.

It's unfortunate that the current software does not allow you to make individual settings for each forum. I know of at least one message board (CandlePowerForums) that has a separate bulletin system for their marketplace. I don't know if this was a primary driver for that setup, and of course one problem is that users have to create a separate ID for the secondary forum.
    I NSX

Feedback Score
    14 (94%)

Hi,

Thanks,
    Nuno
    Case in point, this thread is now absolutely WORTHLESS:
    http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162006

Happens all the time. Why people do this, I have no idea.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I'm on several forums and this seems to be a common practice. In this case (since my FS post was highlighted as a "recent example of a worthless post") I was continuing to receive pm's after it sold. In previous FS listings i've added "EDIT" in bold letters at the very top of the post and continued to receive pm's after the fact.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I just went back and re-entered the information requested in order to help out other prime members, however I can't say I really see a problem deleting information from a post.

At the epicenter of the Zombie Apocalypse
    Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

I would like the ability to edit posts to update picture links.