• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Where to find a "CLUTCH DIY" ?

EAC

Legendary Member
I searched and found a outdated thread with no working pictures.

Has anyone made a new DIY? I was suprised to not find alot of information on replacing the clutch. What gives?

Eric, I will be doing mine in the next week or two so I can let you know how much fun it is. I am considering dropping the entire package as it is close to the timing belt swap time and I can do everything at once out of the car.

Dave

Eric, I will be doing mine in the next week or two so I can let you know how much fun it is. I am considering dropping the entire package as it is close to the timing belt swap time and I can do everything at once out of the car.

Dave

Let me know, Dave. I should be done with my turbo install this weekend and don't want to bother retuning until I have my clutch in. I think the additional torque will destroy my stock clutch.

Dropping the engine? Sounds like alot of work?

The stock twin disc will be done at about 300 ftlbs so with the turbo and anything over 6lbs you will be on the edge. I should have done mine long ago but did not have the time.

Dropping the entire package takes about 4 hrs then the timing belt and valve adjustment and clutch would be simple and less that 3 hrs for them all. Then 4 hrs to put it back and the alignment and your done.

Most shops quote 10 hrs just for a clutch so if it is time for the other stuff it makes since to drop it all out. The hardest part of dropping the thing is dealing with the gas filler neck crap and evap connections, on the 97+ cars the thing sucks to get your hands on.

Dave

Let me know, Dave. I should be done with my turbo install this weekend and don't want to bother retuning until I have my clutch in. I think the additional torque will destroy my stock clutch.

Dropping the engine? Sounds like alot of work?

Yes, I have it.

Question, does the fluid need to be drained and changed? It has newish fluid in it already.

if you can, please take lots step by step pics and make a newer DIY for us to have :)

When you have the trans out I would look at doing the nsx-r diff conversion, it doesnt cost very much and will help with the new power. I just posted a vid of doing the conversion in this section. Yes replace the trans fluid and use the honda mtf you will not be disappointed.

Ah, I might look at that down the road but I need to get this thing on the road asap. I miss driving it. Oh, I have the 6 speed swap.

Cool, I'll pick up Honda MTF tommorow when I grab the rear main seal.

Ah, I might look at that down the road but I need to get this thing on the road asap. I miss driving it. Oh, I have the 6 speed swap.

Cool, I'll pick up Honda MTF tommorow when I grab the rear main seal.

Eric, I have been getting ready to do this myself so have been doing a little reading, have you given any thought to adjusting the preload on the LSD, I can tell you that my car at 400whp and only 18k miles I can feel the power move from side to side during hard excellerations and I think it is the LSD but I guess it could be a small amount of wheel spin or allignment issue in the rear but the car feels like power is being transfered from side to side.

Did you order new pilot bearing and throwout along with your main seal?

Dave

Eric, I have been getting ready to do this myself so have been doing a little reading, have you given any thought to adjusting the preload on the LSD, I can tell you that my car at 400whp and only 18k miles I can feel the power move from side to side during hard excellerations and I think it is the LSD but I guess it could be a small amount of wheel spin or allignment issue in the rear but the car feels like power is being transfered from side to side.

Did you order new pilot bearing and throwout along with your main seal?

Dave

I haven't even thought about the LSD. This is the first time I've heard of it needing adjusting. As far as I can tell, the power on mine has been pretty consistent on both sides. But, that might change with the extra power/torque.

Yeah, my kit came with a pilot bearing and throw out bearing.

I'll let you know how everything goes this weekend. That link I posted above from C-Speed makes the job seem not so hard? So, we'll see...

I haven't even thought about the LSD. This is the first time I've heard of it needing adjusting. As far as I can tell, the power on mine has been pretty consistent on both sides. But, that might change with the extra power/torque.

Yeah, my kit came with a pilot bearing and throw out bearing.

I'll let you know how everything goes this weekend. That link I posted above from C-Speed makes the job seem not so hard? So, we'll see...

It really does not "need" adjusting. But, if you want to stiffen up the break-away torque, like the NSX-R dif you can and leave everything else as is:). Again this will require you to disassemble the entire trans, so it is not a "while you are in there" job, during a a clutch replacement, since you are not "in there";)

You also need a series of special tools to do this, and frankly this is not a job for a first timer/trans rebuild. JMO.

Regards,
LarryB

Thanks Larry, I'm going to start on the clutch first thing tommorow morning. I hope to have it done Sunday.

Man, this is not fun. I should have paid someone to do this.

lol, oh man....I'm considering doing this and belts and wp myself.

This might be a multiple weekend job for me.

Yeah, 10 hours in and the transmission is still in the car. :mad:

I think you just answered my question. Good luck and hang in there. It maybe a good time to walk away and come back later. :smile:

chilton time for the clutch on the nsx is like 5-6 hours if a shop charges 10 hours you are getting screwed. you should be able to have the trans out in about an hour as long as you are not trying to pull the whole subframe. did everything go well? if you have any questions feel free to give me call. my number is in my signature

Last edited:
chilton time for the clutch on the nsx is like 5-6 hours if a shop charges 10 hours you are getting screwed. you should be able to have the trans out in about an hour as long as you are not trying to pull the whole subframe. did everything go well? if you have any questions feel free to give me call. my number is in my signature

Trans out in a hour? I wish...

Possibly if you have a lift and air tools. I'm laying on my back with hand tools. I still don't see how it can be dropped in a hour, removing the suspension, brackets, axles etc etc etc is what takes up all the time.

I finally got the transmission dropped this morning, I fought with it for 3 hours yesterday trying to get it to slide off. Started fresh this morning and quickly saw my problem, the transmission won't come off with the Flywheel Dust Shield on. Doh! Removed that and the trans slid right off. I found out I have the wrong flywheel bolts so I'll need to get new ones before I finish it.

Got it installed. Very tricky getting it back in. I had no transmission jack and operating my alum jack was nearly impossible while trying to line it up. Removing the big gray brace is a must! I ended up just pressing it up after fighting with the jack for 30 mins. Took 3 hours to bolt everything back up.

RPS clutch is pretty stiff. It's been awhile since I've driven a clutch like this, so I slipped it one good time and now the car smells like burned butt hole. :biggrin:

My Transmission (6 speed) took 3 quarts without spilling out. Is that normal? I thought they only took 2.5?

Back