• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What mod do you wish you did sooner?

Nice Hugo! I'm jealous. I'd even be happy with just the factory USDM 6spd!

You SoCal guys.. who are you having do your trans rebuild and where did you buy the gears?

Dali seems to have the best prices still and I seem to have missed being on his black list throughout the years haha. I'd ask him what he has in stock for lightweight flys for you guys looking into this. If I end up having to go with a aftermarket clutch like a Clutchmasters FX200 then i'll put up my Tilton fly for sale which i'm actually kind of bummed about. The stock clutch just can't handle a track driven FI it seems like.

Thanks for the response on this and indeed mine has what I can only assume is still the stock twin disk clutch. I'd feel bad just doing the flywheel and not getting new disks but it does seem like the ones out there go to a single disk set up? If I stay with the twin who sells those flywheels? The tilton sounds neat so if you don't use it let me know:)

i cant say I wish I had anything sooner since I only had had for few months (bought stock) and it now has CT supercharger, headers, exhaust, Intake, KW V3, wheels and on list for couple other parts. But best one so far is a toss up between KW V3 and CTSC.
Interesting you mention the CTSC. I'm glad I have my CTSC now but it's not something I wish I got sooner. I feel like I sort of grew into it in due time. The only thing I wish I got sooner was my DG-5 coilovers so I understand why you'd say KWs. I felt like I put up with mediocre suspension and didn't know what I was missing for all those years.

I haven't figured out my gear set yet but i'm thinking its definitely something I wish I had done sooner. Even before the CTSC especially on the track.

Nice Hugo! I'm jealous. I'd even be happy with just the factory USDM 6spd!

You SoCal guys.. who are you having do your trans rebuild and where did you buy the gears?

Dali seems to have the best prices still and I seem to have missed being on his black list throughout the years haha. I'd ask him what he has in stock for lightweight flys for you guys looking into this. If I end up having to go with a aftermarket clutch like a Clutchmasters FX200 then i'll put up my Tilton fly for sale which i'm actually kind of bummed about. The stock clutch just can't handle a track driven FI it seems like.

I am going to attempt rebuilding it myself. I will document it :)

Thanks for the response on this and indeed mine has what I can only assume is still the stock twin disk clutch. I'd feel bad just doing the flywheel and not getting new disks but it does seem like the ones out there go to a single disk set up? If I stay with the twin who sells those flywheels? The tilton sounds neat so if you don't use it let me know:)

Tilton is a great brand, you would like it.

i cant say I wish I had anything sooner since I only had had for few months (bought stock) and it now has CT supercharger, headers, exhaust, Intake, KW V3, wheels and on list for couple other parts. But best one so far is a toss up between KW V3 and CTSC.

Suspension is always a great modification. It can totally change the dynamics of the car. Really looking forward to putting on suspension!

Interesting you mention the CTSC. I'm glad I have my CTSC now but it's not something I wish I got sooner. I feel like I sort of grew into it in due time. The only thing I wish I got sooner was my DG-5 coilovers so I understand why you'd say KWs. I felt like I put up with mediocre suspension and didn't know what I was missing for all those years.

I haven't figured out my gear set yet but i'm thinking its definitely something I wish I had done sooner. Even before the CTSC especially on the track.

The long 2nd gear is very off putting about the transmission. One of the first things I noticed, and the only thing I dislike about the NSX :)

If you have some time to kill take a glance at the inventory over here. Click on the "Related Parts" link. There are some aftermarket twin disc setups but most of the replacements are indeed single disc. I'm not saying any of those brands are good/bad but it gives you an idea of the inventory and clutch types. I myself may go with a Clutch Masters FX200. I like the RPS Twin Carbon clutch which was rebranded as the SOS Twin Carbon clutch but the cost is incredibly high and i've heard of both bad and good things. I driven on the early RPS version and I liked it a lot in terms of pedal pressure and clutch engagement.

Will do on the Tilton. I'm pretty sad i'm even considering selling it. I'm not sure if they still make it but Dali may still have some in inventory (i'll check).

JUN looks pretty darn light too. Though, the Dali Tilton has the lowest MOI which is exactly why I want to use it. :)

Flywheel OEM, JUN, SOS, Dali Tilton, Dali Fidanza
Weight (lbs.) 15.50lbs, 9.25lbs, 9.70lbs, 7.80lbs, 7.50lbs
MOI 280 159 N/A 126 144

Edit to add: If i'm not adding any more than 50+ hp or have some torquey FI setup.. i'd definitely, w/o a doubt, go with the stock clutch with a lighweight fly. Actually there are a lot of guys that have run the stock clutch on 100+ hp on FI setups that do fine on street driving their NSXs. With your background though man, I feel like the student is talking to the teacher a little bit here!

Last edited:
mods for me happened I feel exactly when they're supposed to. I have a plan based on my research and prioritized the importance of each mod in my plan. This I feel is the way to insure everything you do is done "proper" using the most reliable and desired products and best service provider(s)...if that makes sense. If I really had to pick one item (mind you I've only had my 03 for about 1.5years now) would be getting a short antenna...they're cheap and really update the look of the car vs the 90s power antenna. It's on order through LoCustoms right now. Saving up for CE28s (used to be Advan RS but I think the CE28s by Rays are just as nice) next (should be good for around July/August of this year hopefully) and then the SOS SC, better clutch (brand not decided) and big brake kit (probably Brembo but not decided on brand and model yet). Planning on doing brakes, clutch and FI work all together...save some money overall on labor I feel. I don't see any of that happening for a few years though I'm hoping (knock on wood) to be ready for mid summer 2014.

Because I want to run the twin disc clutch, I am limited to flywheel options. I went with Jun instead of Tilton because I think the Tilton might be a little too light for my taste, and Jun seems like a good compromise for a street car. And it's JDM Yo.

There are only so many places that advertise to sell the Jun flywheel. I asked couple places such as vivid...and ordered it from SOS. Though, I have not had any problems dealing with Mark, and the same cannot be said about SOS from my experience. I hope they can deliver this time as said time period.

Regan, I have been holding off doing my clutch for almost 3 years. When I bought the car, I knew the clutch needs replacement but some how it lasted and still driving on that OEM clutch. I want to save up for a six speed and do everything together. It is time.

The mod I find I wish I have done sooner is probably my titanium straight pipe and NA2-R suspension.

Come to Toronto and help me do mine!

2000 - 2001 ABS upgrade on my 1991.
I now trust the brakes, and there is no maintenance flushing or exercising the solenoids.
Huge braking improvement.... I entered a corner too hot on the track, braked later than I should, and the car hunkered down and the new ABS did it's job and I was able to still get to the apex of the corner..
I am impressed with the difference from the original system.
Best 7 hours I spent working on the car...

Because I want to run the twin disc clutch, I am limited to flywheel options. I went with Jun instead of Tilton because I think the Tilton might be a little too light for my taste, and Jun seems like a good compromise for a street car. And it's JDM Yo.

There are only so many places that advertise to sell the Jun flywheel. I asked couple places such as vivid...and ordered it from SOS. Though, I have not had any problems dealing with Mark, and the same cannot be said about SOS from my experience. I hope they can deliver this time as said time period.

Regan, I have been holding off doing my clutch for almost 3 years. When I bought the car, I knew the clutch needs replacement but some how it lasted and still driving on that OEM clutch. I want to save up for a six speed and do everything together. It is time.

The mod I find I wish I have done sooner is probably my titanium straight pipe and NA2-R suspension.
The JUN fly will be an awesome addition. I agree with you on keeping the oem twin disc. It should have lower MOI than the NA2 single the 6spd comes stock with. You're setup is going to be very nice.

Who's going to do your trans rebuild?

I don't think there is a such thing as a "too light" flywheel if you are after max power. You do have to be a bit quicker with shifting bc the revs drop and rise faster is all. I have the fidanza which is the lightest and cheapest, and you can replace the friction surface for $60! Had it for 4 years now with the oem clutch and it makes a huge difference in acceleration!

Ditto. Have the same flywheel and response is great. And after riding in many NSXs with aftermarket clutcheas, I now have a greater appreciation for Clutch Master; really strong, good engagement and noise free. I had no idea that most race clutches sound and drive like hell.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

I don't think there is a such thing as a "too light" flywheel if you are after max power. You do have to be a bit quicker with shifting bc the revs drop and rise faster is all. I have the fidanza which is the lightest and cheapest, and you can replace the friction surface for $60! Had it for 4 years now with the oem clutch and it makes a huge difference in acceleration!
Just to clarify it's the Moment of Inertia (MOI) that's the most important metric when looking for a LWFW. It's how much of the weight is closest to the center of the FW that tells flywheels apart and then the weight :)

I didn't realize the Fidanza has a replaceable friction surface. That is money!!

Ditto. Have the same flywheel and response is great. And after riding in many NSXs with aftermarket clutcheas, I now have a greater appreciation for Clutch Master; really strong, good engagement and noise free. I had no idea that most race clutches sound and drive like hell.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2
Juice!!! Wait a second.. you have a Clutch Master clutch?? Which one FX200 or FX300? Please provide your thoughts on it.

Edit to add: If i'm not adding any more than 50+ hp or have some torquey FI setup.. i'd definitely, w/o a doubt, go with the stock clutch with a lighweight fly. Actually there are a lot of guys that have run the stock clutch on 100+ hp on FI setups that do fine on street driving their NSXs. With your background though man, I feel like the student is talking to the teacher a little bit here!

Amen! my 98-T OEM clutch is on its 60K miles with some 110+ track days; the last 15K miles and 15+ track days with a CTSC that adds 100rwhp. It is not as crisp as a new clutch but there is no noticeable slippage in driving to say it is time.

Crap, did I get the wrong part again... Regan, sell me your Tilton if so.

I understand the lighter the better, and weight closer to the center the better. I heard nothing but goods about the JUN FW so I thought that was a safer bet.

In my experience the street is where the short gears/R&P make the car noticeably better. Street, not track, is where you'll experience low speeds and significantly more starts from a stop - where this is a factor...

The long 2nd gear is very off putting about the transmission. One of the first things I noticed, and the only thing I dislike about the NSX :)

I understand the lighter the better, and weight closer to the center the better. I heard nothing but goods about the JUN FW so I thought that was a safer bet.
I think you did the right thing. The JUN is nice. There's always a compromise with LWFWs. Actually, most companies won't even make them too light because if made too light the engine can potentially stall on idle.

LWFW make it more of a pain to drive as a DD. You end up having to feather the clutch more and launch from a stop light at a higher RPM.

So yea.. LWFW comes with it's compromises too. :redface:

FWIW I do think the NSX should have come with a LWFW to begin with. How light? I'll have to wait and see!

You will be satisfied with the JUN piece, don't worry.

Why wait 6 weeks for it and pay more for something that performs worse? And now that the fidanza has replaceable friction surface it's lower replacement cost too.

Why wait 6 weeks for it and pay more for something that performs worse? And now that the fidanza has replaceable friction surface it's lower replacement cost too.

That is a very good point indeed. I think I might just go for the fidanza and save 270 bucks and no wait time. Look like they are quite reputable too. I just don't know how big of a difference in feel comparing 9.3lb and 7.5lb FWs.

Last edited:
Not exactly the wildest mod out there, but I did Bilsteins and installed them on the lower spring perch. I can't believe how it improved the handling and ride, at the same time. The OEM shocks were toast. And I like the look of the small drop, even if it still looks pretty stock.

Haven't really significantly modded the car beyond that unless you count doing two-tone Leatherseats.com covers, a ball-type shift knob, refinishing the OEM 7-spoke in a slightly different color than OEM, and a Shark antenna. :smile:

Back