• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What mod do you wish you did sooner?

For sure the JDM gears and a Comptech 4.55 R&P -- best thing I ever did to the car (wish I had also done the "R" limited slip shims too). Next would be stiffer anti-roll bars.

Last edited:
I wish I had installed my DRLs sooner! They really update the front end :biggrin:

opwhi1.jpg

^^^you mean s4play lol?

Definitely the close ratio gears with the OEM Type R differential. It transformed the car.

But as much as that mod improved my NSX, the biggest bang for my dollars has been a driver upgrade. I've been working on that for almost 15 years - HPDE and lapping days - and there is still much work to be done. :biggrin:

Last edited:
For sure the JDM gears and a Comptech 4.55 R&P -- best thing I ever did to the car (wish I had also done the "R" limited slip shims too). Next would be stiffer anti-roll bars.

I thought that was a horrible mod if you do any highway driving at all.

Powdercoating my wheels.

Ryu- If you are coming to XPO you can drive my car. I have the JDM gears with the stock 4.06 and NSX-R pre-loaded diff. I think it's perfect for street/track.

Powdercoating my wheels.

Ryu- If you are coming to XPO you can drive my car. I have the JDM gears with the stock 4.06 and NSX-R pre-loaded diff. I think it's perfect for street/track.
Thanks! Still 50/50 on XPO but it looking a no.

Have you driven a JDM + 4.23 R&P? I've driven one but it was also a high boost CTSC setup and only on a quick stop light to stop light run. I just don't have a good seat of the pants comparison and i'm basing most of my decision on this at the moment :(

http://scienceofspeed.com/products/drivetrain_performance_products/NSX/NSX_gear_ratios.pdf

2000 - 2001 ABS upgrade on my 1991.
I now trust the brakes, and there is no maintenance flushing or exercising the solenoids.
Huge braking improvement.... I entered a corner too hot on the track, braked later than I should, and the car hunkered down and the new ABS did it's job and I was able to still get to the apex of the corner..
I am impressed with the difference from the original system.
Best 7 hours I spent working on the car...

I am glad to see close ratio gears and higher final drive on this list. I am thinking of getting the 4.23 w 6spd since the 4.40 OSG requires a new LSD. Is there any way to run the 4.4 OSG final drive without the new LSD? Can the oem 6spd be shimmed to work? Thoughts from owners please?

Which anti-roll bars do you have?

I also wish I had done the R differential conversion with the gears. Note for others: The diff mod isn't just adding a shim, but adding a shim and using a different (thinner) stopper plate. Adding shim without changing stopper plate I think results in too much preset torque.

Do you feel the 4.55 is to aggressive for hwy driving or for an FI car? Been considering the 4.23 but worried about going higher.

I have shorties with 4.55 and CTSC. Subjectively I like. Was worried about it being too short when I went down in altitude (and picked up power) but I've done so a few times without that coming true. 4.23 might be a better ratio for FI...and it should be noted that the 4.55 does add a tiny bit of gear noise. Those plus cost/scarcity (discontinued) of the 4.55 make the 4.23 seem a good choice.

Last edited:
Speaking of noise, the "mod" I wish I had done sooner is put the stock exhaust back on. Much more enjoyable on extended drives, with passengers, etc...and still makes plenty of noise given full throttle at higher RPMs. Probably would have sold the car by now if I hadn't done this.

Last edited:
I just ordered the jun flywheel today (6 weeks back order), stock twin clutch and going to go with a 6 speed jdm final drive soon. I hope that will be one of the best mod I hope I had done sooner.

I have a 91 and seriously want a light weight flywheel... Which one do you guys go with? That's a mod I've done in every na car previously....
Yes, agreed! I think there's a lot of gain to be had by installing a combination of a light fly, JDM gears and/or a shorter final drive. Flywheels for the NSX are interesting.. since the stock early 5spd have a dual disc setup a lot of the aftermarket clutches are single clutches but will provide a proprietary lightweight fly. Flywheels aren't as interchangeable as other cars I've noticed. Having said that there are only a couple of manufacturers left who made lightweight flys for the stock dual clutch setup. One of them is Jun and the other, the lightest ever made for the NSX, is made by the Tilton folks. I have one i'm waiting to put myself but i'm considering moving away from the OEM clutch disc and pressure plate so I might have to go with a different fly. Still trying to decide on what kind of trans build is suitable for me.. it's mind boggling but seems like you can't really go wrong.
I just ordered the jun flywheel today (6 weeks back order), stock twin clutch and going to go with a 6 speed jdm final drive soon. I hope that will be one of the best mod I hope I had done sooner.
Nice Hugo! I didn't realize you had a 6spd in there. If you're using the stock twin disc 5spd clutch then that must mean you swapped out your 6spd input shaft for the Type R one? Normally, you can't use a 5spd clutch with a stock 6spd trans but you probably knew that.

Also the 6spd and the 5spd have the same 4.06 final drive. How come you're swapping them out? Are you talking about the NSX-R 4.23 final?

Regan. I just ordered the flywheel and clutch but have yet to buy the 6 speed yet. I will though... I think. Yes I will need the type r input shaft and I am going with the 4.23 jdm final drive. I cannot wait. I also want na2 abs.

Wow what a great thread.

I actually just purchased the short gears and type r final drive, so that's going to be exciting. While I'm in there I will definitely throw in a light weight flywheel, as it is one of my favorite mods from my other car.

Hugo, where did you order the JUN flywheel from? I am going to do the same.

Back