• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

XPEL Ultimate Self Healing Protective Film thread

Hi guys,

I wanted to start this thread to provide information about the XPEL Ultimate self healing protective film as it is a relatively new product and there's not much documented ownership experiences with it out there. I just had it installed on my NSXs, and I intend to keep this thread updated as my experience with the product grows. Other users are also welcome to provide input and feedback to keep this thread as informative as possible.

Background: I was looking for products to protect the paint finishes on my NSXs. The paint on my '97 Kaiser Silver NSX is pretty pristine, and I wanted to keep it that way. The paint on my '99 Monte Carlo Blue NSX, while not pristine, looks pretty clean for a car with nearly 50k on the odometer. I was debating whether to put paint protection film on it now, or wait for further chips and then do a respray. In the end I decided to invest in the PPF now, since keeping things "original" in the car collector world is sometimes considered more desirable (I made the same decision with my 91 NSX and did not regret it).

Product Selection Process: I've used 3M Paint Protection Film before, and was generally satisfied with the product. (I shared some of my experience with it here, here, and here.) I probably would have gone with it again, but CL65 Captain's glowing endorsement of the new XPEL Ultimate self healing protective film in this thread along with the product demonstration video wowed me over. There are other competing products on the market (VentureShield, Avery Nano-Fusion, standard XPEL are ones I know of), but after reading a few threads like this (particularly this response) and this, I decided to give XPEL Ultimate a try. Also, NSXPrime member RedWings had a contact for the XPEL install and hooked me up.

Product Info: Here's the manufacturer's product web page with some compelling videos. Note that it carries a 10 year warranty: http://www.xpel.com/products/xpel_ultimate_paint_protection_film.asp

Here are the care instructions: http://www.xpel.com/care/

Care seems pretty simple, and as mentioned by stevieray122854 you can use an ordinary cleaner wax like Zymol Z-503 on the film.

Installation: My installation was done by SmartShield at their Phoenix location. I got in on a group buy with 2 NSXs :D and had the following installed on both cars for $1250 including tax:

-partial hood and fenders (using computer cut patterns)
-front bumper (using computer cut pattern)
-mirrors (using computer cut patterns)
-vent lips (custom)
-door edges (custom)
-door handle recesses (custom)

Here are some photos from the install, which took about 3 hours per car. I had both vehicles washed, clayed, and waxed prior to installation.

Xpel2.jpg

Xpel3.jpg

You can see the seam in this photo, but in real life it's extremely difficult to make out unless you look closely.
97NSX_Xpel_front.jpg

Initial impressions: The XPEL Ultimate film material seems pretty amazing so far. It has a clear coat in it, and hides swirl marks and scratches like nobody's business. Here are some photos of my MCB where you can see it acting like a new layer of clear coat on the paint. I wish I had done the full hood and fenders, but I had no idea it would turn out this well because swirl marks are less visible on the Kaiser Silver finish.

Hood and fenders.
99NSX_expel_ultimate6.jpg

Closeup of fender.
99NSX_expel_ultimate6_cropped.jpg

Door handle recess.
99NSX_expel_ultimate7.jpg

You can really see the difference in this closeup of the above photo. I wish I had taken a "before" photo, but the entire handle recess area was seriously scratched and dull like the uncovered lower portion. The film makes it look like new again.
99NSX_expel_ultimate7_cropped.jpg

My installer Bob (who I would recommend) gave me a sample of the XPEL Paint Protection Film Sealant, and it really does resemble the Zymol cleaner wax as you can see in this photo.
Xpel_PPF_Sealant.jpg

I will post further updates as the film ages, and let you know how it holds up after washing, waxing, and exposure to the elements.

That looks great so far. I'm going to keep an eye on this to see the progression. Do you have any idea if this film can be applied safely over re-spray? Or is it only recommended to apply to factory paint?

Update

My car has gone through a wash since the film install, and it looks good as new. The film is extremely difficult to photograph since it's barely visible, but it's there.
iphone22.jpg

I had a scrap piece of the Xpel Ultimate film to play with, so I took a paper clip and scratched it up to test the self healing properties.
IMG_8984.JPG

Amazingly enough, the scratches disappear completely after a while. I was impatient though, so for this photo shoot I used a little bit of hot water to speed up the process. Here is what the film looked like after applying some hot water on the same spot. Scratches are GONE.
IMG_8989.JPG

I also conducted a material strength test. 3M distributors use this demonstration to show how tough their product is, so I decided to do the same. I'm pleased to report that while the film did stretch and deform, it did NOT puncture. See photos below.
IMG_8990.JPG

IMG_8991.JPG

Here's what the film looked like after I flattened it out.
IMG_8992.JPG

Last edited:
I did some research before I installed the Xpel. The technology is the same as used in Nissan's self healing clear coat. Nissan only guarantee the self healing properties for 3 years. However, there was no indication of how long it would actually last. Even so, I love my Xpel Ultimate. After track weekends the rubber marks wipe off with alcohol or bug and tar instead of having to polish out.

btw: I'm 99% sure that xpel's sealant is the same as Black Diamond sealant. ;)

sent from my crappy cell phone.

Last edited:
Re: Update

The film is extremely difficult to photograph since it's barely visible, but it's there.
iphone22.jpg

That looks damn good, I'll be doing a full hood/fenders soon

I just did a full front fender and hood install. You cannot see the film...period! It is incredible!

I am thinking about doing my Targa top and trunk lid now. It will keep the paint pristine without worry of swirl marks when I wipe her down.

where do i buy a roll?

I dont need some installer to do the work that I can do myself.

same tech to apply 3m bra, or window tint, easy a child can do it

where can i get a roll?

I want it

I'm now thinking about getting my rear quarter panels done. As much as I wrench on this thing, I hate leaning over it....

Last edited:
How much material would one need to do the whole car? This is very interesting to me....... :biggrin:

I'm now thinking about getting my rear quarter panels done. As much as I wrench on this thing, I hate leaning over it....

I was in your neck of the woods for a couple hours last Friday EAC not a bad little town you live in.

where do i buy a roll?

I dont need some installer to do the work that I can do myself.

same tech to apply 3m bra, or window tint, easy a child can do it

where can i get a roll?

I want it

Shawn,
Have you ever installed a clear bra? Seen you do some cool things on here so was just wondering. The hood and fenders tips, headlight covers are pretty easy for the experienced but would give the novice a run for their money for a true quality looking install. Doing a bumper wrap, is a whole different animal. All I can say is if anyone without experience is wanting to try this, your better off saving your money and headache and pay a professional. Wether you use expel,3m etc it's pricey, let alone not having the feel for pressure when cutting and trimming on your paint.. jmo
Bob

Shawn...I regard you as one of the most talented, knowledgable guys on this wesbite but, after watching an expert install the film, I couldn't imagine trying it myself. Even the installer messed up and had to throw some of the product away after missing an edge, etc.

Shawn,
Have you ever installed a clear bra? Seen you do some cool things on here so was just wondering. The hood and fenders tips, headlight covers are pretty easy for the experienced but would give the novice a run for their money for a true quality looking install. Doing a bumper wrap, is a whole different animal. All I can say is if anyone without experience is wanting to try this, your better off saving your money and headache and pay a professional. Wether you use expel,3m etc it's pricey, let alone not having the feel for pressure when cutting and trimming on your paint.. jmo
Bob

Agreed. Shawn, you have mad wrench skills but applying PPF is a horse of a different color. I watched my guy (Lane Naiquin) install a pre-cut XPEL kit on my '97 and there is no way I would try even that, much less trying to hand cut the stuff when you have no experience with how much it stretches or shrinks (and it does both).

Trust me, bro---if you want the best results, pay an experienced installer to put on a pre-cut kit. I've had both pre & custom-cut and the pre-cut is light years better.

PS: The other day, I received a bird bomb that was acid enough to etch my regular XPEL film. Was able to get it totally out using Megs 105 with an orange LC pad & PC 7424 @ 3500 RPM followed by a treatment of Megs DA Microfiber Finishing Wax. I'm finding that you can kind of work PPF like you can paint, you just have to be really careful with the speed & pressure---

Last edited:
by the way your cars look great with this product. I see you covered the hood of your silver nsx close to three quarters up and just wondering is there any reason you didn't just get the full hood covered?
$$$ :(

Last edited:
you see in one of the pictures the putting the bra on is kinda bubbly under the bra right?

thats soap water! LOL and I am sure he has a squeegee, heatgun or blowdryer to heat and expand the film till it fits perfect.

no brainer

same technique used to install all the other brands.

trimming some edges with an exacto-knife is like building airplane/car models as a kid.

why pay someone to do it if you can just sit down and do it yourself.

I just got ths quote for the self healing stuff.

Full Front Bumper, Full Hood, Full Fenders, Mirrors and Front Lighting to truly protect the entire front clip and most prone to damage leading edge of the vehicle.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<?xml:namespace prefix = u1 /><u1:p></u1:p> <o:p></o:p>
<u1:p>XTREME Protection Film (includes 7 yr. material/labor warranty) - $1000.00 Installed, tax included</u1:p><o:p></o:p>
<u1:p></u1:p> <o:p></o:p>
<u1:p>ULTIMATE Protection Film (includes 10 yr. material/labor warranty) - $1100.00 Installed, tax included</u1:p><o:p></o:p>
<u1:p></u1:p><u1:p> </u1:p><u1:p> </u1:p><o:p></o:p>

you see in one of the pictures the putting the bra on is kinda bubbly under the bra right?

thats soap water! LOL and I am sure he has a squeegee, heatgun or blowdryer to heat and expand the film till it fits perfect.

no brainer

same technique used to install all the other brands.

trimming some edges with an exacto-knife is like building airplane/car models as a kid.

why pay someone to do it if you can just sit down and do it yourself.

Yep a no brainer!!

Back