• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Building a $50K Track Tool to beat $500K Track Tools

I'm curious about your current weight and also how your car feels after the recent lighter weight additions!
In brief; it feels... *lighter* but I still have work to do. After the battery and bumper beams I should be below 2800 lbs. I'd like find another 50-100 lbs. and get down to 2700.

I just finished installing the rear STMPO 6061 alloy beam. Not a difficult install, maybe 3-4hrs but I took my time and installed my rear tow hook properly to the beam. Once I had the oem steel boat anchor beam off I thought seriously about buttoning it back up with nothing, but then I started messing with my tow hook and decided that the best mounting point for it is directly to the beam, so she's in.

Out with the old boat anchor beam

From behind

Passenger side

Tow Hook Mounting Plate

Done!

Looks good. Did you get it directly from Ross?

I would but he hardly has anything left. Did you weigh both beams?

never understood why those were priced so high. a local guy did his for $60. heck, I even think danny was going to produce them for under $100.

Looks good, Robert.

Because it requires threading for nuts, welding of the tube for license plate frame and other work. Danny just got into a verbal argument with Ross and in order to hurt him he said he would make them for $100. We saw where that went. IDK $350 didn't seem all that unreasonable, what is the labor worth to make one? it's not just parts.

Last edited:
Pros:
In Ross's defense, it is a very nicely made piece. Rarely if ever have I had to make 0 modifications to install an aftermarket upgrade but this beam qualifies. Once the bumper is removed and oem beam extracted the STMPO beam bolted right on in its place with no drama. All the nutserts lined up perfectly and the -15 lb. loss made reinstalling the bumper much less cumbersome.

Cons:
List price of $429.95 for the beam seems excessive to me even tho I'm sure thats far less than the oem boat anchor lists for. Safety? Not aware if anyone has actually tested this beam vs oem but with how easy it is to write off our alloy cars, it doesn't seem to make much difference in terms of protection.

I was fortunate to have found mine, or should I say, it found me on Prime when Ko-nsx contacted me and offered me his un-used beam for an amazingly reasonable price. Big shout out to you Kelley! Thank you!

This thread is awesome! I just read through it the past couple of days and just couldn't stop scrolling. I've learned A LOT and those videos make me want to get out on the track some day.

Keep up the good work and hope everything works out!

I'm sad to have reached the end of this thread. Read it from start to finish. It was awesome to see you turn your mildly modified NsX to a beautiful track beast. Great job, and thank you for all the info, descriptions, pictures and videos along the way. It makes me want to grab the keys and go to the nearest track.

Update:

Hi all, my apologies for my absence as it's been quite a while since my last update and posting. This has been a very challenging year for me with a nasty divorce, a move and all the turmoil that goes with that kind of upheaval. Naturally, I had to chill out on the upgrades and the track had to wait until life sorts itself out. I'm happy to report that I have been through the wormhole and have emerged through the other side, battered and bruised, poorer but wiser for having been through it.

A couple weeks ago I discovered a leak in my clutch hydraulics so I figured I was overdue for a visit to Driving Ambition. I gave Shad a shout and made an appointment with the Zen Master. I was fearing the worst about my clutch so I didn't even contemplate doing anything else aside from fresh fluids all around. After the long drive to Cameron Park, we immediately got it up on a lift and were pleasantly surprised to find its just a hose leak. The good news gave me the opportunity to take some suggestions from Shad as to what the car needs next. We agreed that my KWV3 coilovers with stock springs @ 375lbs. front & 440lbs. rear were overdue for an upgrade. Shad also recommended an upgrade to my cooling system with a KOYORAD Racing Radiator. www.koyoradracing.com It's a beautiful polished aluminum high capacity race radiator with very tidy hand welds all polished to a mirror finish. What sold me (aside form the bling) is that it's a direct bolt-on replacement from the OEM radiator with no modification necessary.

For springs, we chose Eibach 750lbs. front & 600lbs. rear. My first test drive revealed just how badly this upgraded was needed. Combined with my Trophy Bars, the car corners dead flat with virtually no body roll, but is still not a buckboard. I'm now really looking forward to seeing how she feels on the track again. A nice feeling compared to the crap I've endured for the last two years.

As always, Shad's service and advise were 1st class and my little NA1 hooptie is now refreshened, tuned, primed and ready for battle, better than ever.

It was black NSX Day at Driving Ambition and this doesn't even include mine which is not pictured.

The D/A S2000 giant killer track beast

Speak of the devil... Was just talking about you. Welcome back. How much more effective is that radiator supposed to be?

I've never even overheated my oem rad. My temp gauge never moves. Must be the northeast weather.

Thanks guys, will do, great to hear from you! Shad speaks very highly of it and since I'm still trapped in this god-forsaken desert, he recommended it. Once I finally get back to NorCal permanently I will give it a thorough baptism at Sears Point.

I was hoping this thread wasn't dead, glad to see the update! Sorry for your troubles over the past year, but at least now you can focus on the finer things :cool:

Sorry to hear about your tumble Regan. Hope you're making a steady recovery.

Since we're on the subject of headers, last November, I was on my way to a training ride on my bicycle and hit some debris that launched me over the bars and crushed my shoulder. Surgery, bone graft, ligament graft and six months of physical therapy, I'm still dealing with it. Got an MRI scheduled for Thursday. Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Pre-Op

Post-Op

Back