• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Building a $50K Track Tool to beat $500K Track Tools

Rob have you actually weighed your car?

IMHO with its 505 SAE hp & 3000++lbs. I still wouldn't trade though. Not a bow tie guy[/QUOTE]

Chevy has improve the Vette a lot in many ways in recent years to keep up with the rest and with so much hp/torq, its indeed a track monster like the GTR. So much so I was willing to wait inline to sit in one at the show to see it for myself. The shifter position is high up on the tunnel, I had to raise my shoulder to shift. I guess I am just too short for this car and got out the car quickly.

With all the light weight material used, CF, Magnesium, alum, Ti, etc. it should weight way less than 3000lbs. but the SBC is still a 1950 based chopstick w/ 16valves and a dog-leg stroked again and again like a hotrod. Not that there is anything wrong with that. The DI and deactivating is cool, but why not a new 4-valve? (or is it NASCAR won't allow 4-valve for cost reason? so TRD had to build a small block Toyota in order to play? ) Ford did it with the Coyote and it has provision for DI ports & iVTEC. Even Cadillac had a 32 valve used in IRL a few years back. So it can be over 100hp/liter w/o SC but I do understand the hotrod crowd hungry for more hp/torq to go fast....in a straight line w/o a total engine redo.
the dry sump is a pseudo dry sump but at least the engine/gearbox sits lower than a wet sump config.

Here is what I read about the aero:

The first stage is standard equipment and includes a Z51 Stingray rear spoiler, a front splitter, and spats at the front wheel arches. Stage 2 is optional and includes a slightly more aggressive front splitter molded from carbon fiber, carbon rocker panel extensions, and a larger rear spoiler (also carbon fiber) with fixed Gurney flap aero tabs on the back for increased downforce. The Z07 package is the only way to get the Stage 3 kit. Order the package, and your car will arrive looking mostly like a Stage 2 car, but in the trunk you'll find a carbon front splitter with extra-large winglets and a clear center Gurney flap segment that bolts to the rear spoiler for even more downforce. That center piece is clear to improve rear visibility—and it's adjustable up and down, with changes of just a quarter-inch said to have been noticeable to test drivers.

Somehow, I see this is what some of us have done with our car w/o the help of CFD and a real wind tunnel.(sans the FXMD car). But hey, it looks pretty good. If they can give us some numbers, thats even better.
My best guess of the aero is mostly above the ride height and the rocker extensions is probably horizontal as the mag dampers are not height adjustable easily like the P1.

What I was hoping for was dynamic aero like the FT-1. Heck, even our car can mod to do that although it might end up looking quite gaudy but super ricey.

NASCAR just went to fuel injection in cup, but they stick to as close as they can to an old spec, the pushrod motor, the 1950s chassis and truck arms off a 1950s truck, etc...

Chevy has made a very efficient, compact 2-valve motor that they keep refining. Why go to a 4 can that is more complex, bigger, and heavier when they are already at 100hp/L NA.

I think the LT1 was a clean slate design from the LS, not just a revision.

The base C7 had a ton of CFD and wind tunnel testing, which was taken a lot further with the Z06 and the result is extremely impressive and aggressive for an OEM. I think its cool.

the new vette IS cool! I am just too short for it.

Finally, after all these year not running a Holley. running a McLaren ECU is high tech in my book. TRD told me they are over 100hp/lit but every time I hear that brrrrrrr....it reminds me of a SB hotrod w/ a lumpy cam....thats all.

Me. Drove a '14 Z51 at Thunderhill. Meh. Reminded me of my Volt. No skill required.

Me. Drove a '14 Z51 at Thunderhill. Meh. Reminded me of my Volt. No skill required.
I've test driven a C7 Z51 and was underwhelmed, but I can think of 650 reasons why I'd like a C7 Z07. Not to replace my NSX though.

I've always liked Vettes since I was a kid. I'd kill for a pristine '67 427 coupe. No matter how good the new C7 is compared to the C6 it still has the same fundamental problem; the engine is in the wrong place.

Updated Specs

1991 NSX NA1 Coupe

Curb Weight: 2800lbs.
Horsepower: 406whp @ 7800rpm
Torque: 282lbft. @ 6292rpm

Engine:
3.0L C30A VTEC V6
Driving Ambition/CT 2.3L SuperCharger
Custom CNC'd Match Ported Intake Manifold
550cc Fuel Injectors w/CNC'd billet aluminum fuel runners
Denso Fuel Pump
Modified Downforce Air Intake Scoop
CT Engineering Carbon Fiber High Flow Airbox, Lid & Uni Air Filter
Dali Racing Big Bore Throttle Body
Comptech Stainless steel Headers
ARK Exhaust with Race Cats

ECU/Fuel Management System:
AEM FIC Unit

Cooling/Lubrication:
KoyoRad Race Radiator

Accusump Oil Accumulator
Fender Mounted External Oil Cooler

Transmission:
JDM Short Gears with 4.06 Final Drive Gear Kit
OS Giken 1.5 Way Racing Limited Slip Differential
CT Powergrip1 Performance Clutch

Suspension:

KW V3 Coil Over Shock Suspension Kit
Eibach Springs front 750lbs. rear 600lbs.
Dali 1" Trophy Adjustable Sway Bar Set

Source1 Adjustable end links & tow links
Driving Ambition Front Bump Steer Kit

Driving Ambition Front & rear Camber Kit
SOS Steering Rack Urethane Bushing Kit
Front Pivot Clamp Kit
Non Compliance Tow Link Kit
Non Compliance Rear Beam

Chassis Reinforcement:
NSX-R Upper Chassis Reinforcement Bar & Bracket Kit
NSX-R Lower Chassis Reinforcement Bar
Driving Ambition Billet Rear Shock Tower Brace

Brakes:
Stoptech Big Brake Kit (x4) w/slotted rotors & steel braided lines
Motul RBF 600 Racing Brake Fluid
Downforce Carbon Front Brake Air Deflectors
ARP Extended Wheel Studs
R40 Extended Lug Nuts

Wheels:
Yokohama ADVAN Racing RSII
17x8.0" front
18x10" rear

Tires (Track)
Front: 225/40ZR17 Hoosier R6
Rear: 275/35ZR18 Hoosier R6

Exterior:
Wings West Front Ait Dam
Downforce Sealed Under Tray
NSX-R Ducted Carbon Fiber Hood
Carbon Fiber Trunk Lid

Downforce Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser
APR GTC-300 Wing with GT-One adjustable uprights and base (track)
NSX-R Carbon Fiber Side Intake Scoops

Downforce Stacy Side Skirts
Carbon Fiber Engine Hatch Garnish
Dali Racing Tow Hooks
Dali Racing AC Duct Guards
HID Projector Headlights
Dark Smoke Side Markers Lamps
S2000 Antenna

Interior:
AEM Boost /AFR Gauge & Fuel Pressure Gauge
6pt. Harness Bar w/Simpson 6pt Racing Harnesses
Recaro Pole Position Leather Racing Seats
Sparco Ring Competition Steering Wheel (Suade)
MoMo Super Anatomico Shift Knob
Wheelskins Leather Shift Boot
SOS Billet Aluminum Racing Pedals
GoPro Hero3 HD In-Car Video Camera & Mount
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH Nav/HD/CD/DVD/Bluetooth + Reverse Camera
Carbon Fiber Dash Inlays
Carbon Fiber Center Armrest
Fire Extinguisher & Mount
Zanardi Floor Matts

Weight Reduction:

OEM Rear Bumper Beam replaced with STMPO Alloy Bumper Beam -20 lbs.
OEM Rear Valance replaced with
Downforce Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser -1 lb.
OEM Leather Power Seats replaced with Leather Recaro Pole Position Racing Shells -20 lbs.
OEM Steering Wheel/SRS replaced with Sparco Ring Steering Wheel & SOS Hub -5 lbs.
OEM Rear Shock Tower Brace Replaced with Driving Ambition Billet Alloy Brace -2 lbs.
OEM Exhaust Manifold replaced with Comptech Stainless Steel Headers -10 lbs.
OEM Exhaust/Cats replaced with ARK Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Race Cats -7 lbs.
OEM hood replaced with NSX-R Type Carbon Fiber Hood -1 lb.
OEM Trunk Lid replaced with Carbon Fiber Trunk Lid - 1 lb.
OEM Side Intake Scoops replaced with Down Force NSX-R Type Carbon Fiber Intake Scoops -3 lbs.
OEM Engine Hatch Garnish replaced with Carbon Fiber Engine Hatch Garnish -1 lb.
OEM Battery Replaced with Shorai 36AH Lithium Iron Battery & CNC 6061 Billet Aluminum Trey -40 lbs.

OEM Center Armrest Replaced with Carbon Fiber Armrest -1/2 lb.
OEM Ashe Tray replaced with Billet Gauge Pod -0 lb.

Weight Deletions:
Engine Cover Delete -15 lbs.
Spare Tire & Bracket Delete -20 lbs.
Tool Kit & Jack Delete - 15 lbs.
Windshield Wipers Delete - 2 lbs.

Weight Additions:
CT Engineering 2.3L Supercharger
Accusump & External Fender Mounted Oil Cooler
6pt Harness Bar & 6pt Simpson Harnesses
Fire Extinguisher & Mount
Front Splitter/Sealed Under Tray
APR GTC-300 Rear Wing

Next:
More weight reductions

Last edited:
Still wanna know the exact details of your engine management. It's not the CT FMU/RRFPR setup is it? Is it an AEM FIC? Something else?

It's a piggy-back system.

If you still work where you used to work (and where I work) then you truly embody the corporate approach to answering the tough questions... :biggrin:

if you still work where you used to work (and where i work) then you truly embody the corporate approach to answering the tough questions... :biggrin:

lol. I believe it is a FIC.

Fyi - I'll be at Infineon/Sears Point Raceway this Saturday & Sunday for the TMR Trackmasters event. I've reserved a garage so come on out and join us for a great day at the best NSX track in the west. The event is sold out so there should be some fast company to chase. I'll be on a fresh set of BFG g-force R1's. Come on out for some good times. Anybody else attending?

Rob

Welcome back Berto:victorious:....one of these days I'll join you.
Thanks Tim, good to be back. Just finished moving back up to NorCal and this weekend will be a nice reward. Track is calling me :biggrin:

Fyi - I'll be at Infineon/Sears Point Raceway this Saturday & Sunday for the TMR Trackmasters event. I've reserved a garage so come on out and join us for a great day at the best NSX track in the west. The event is sold out so there should be some fast company to chase. I'll be on a fresh set of BFG g-force R1's. Come on out for some good times. Anybody else attending?

Rob

I'll be at Sears as well. Just got my nsx back from being painted.
Armando may show up as well with his His fully race prepped NSX.
We meet at last.... :)

Later,
Don

I was booked for both days but the last 2 sessions today I started developing a heat/cooling issue which we were unable to solve at the track. I will live to fight another day but unfortunately not tomorrow. I had my hands full out there with a very fast advanced group of well prepped GT3 Porsches & Bimmers. Super competitive and really f-ing fun. Some very fast company out there but I think we showed them the X-cars can still run with the big dogs. My buddy/crew, Scott told me about how one of the many GT3 drivers told him b4 the 1st session that my NSX was going to be "eaten alive" in the Advanced group. I can happily report that I passed far more GT3's today than got passed and when I was challenged, I made sure they had to work hard to earn the pass.

lots of room to stretch out in the paddock.

Amazingly fast Ferrari 458 Especial

very quick Aerial Atom

Back