• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Building a $50K Track Tool to beat $500K Track Tools

I can happily report that I passed far more GT3's today than got passed and when I was challenged, I made sure they had to work hard to earn the pass.

It did not happen unless there is a VIDEO.:wink:

Sorry to hear about the cooling gremlins and really glad to hear you did not get eaten by the Porsche guys, I hear that at almost every track event I go to then at least one or two guys will stop by and ask "what the hell has been done to that thing". My usual response is "it's close to stock" or "just bolt ons".

On a side note: Are you able to get more than 12-14 heat cycles out of the Hoosiers before they are done?

Dave

Last edited:
It did not happen unless there is a VIDEO.:wink:
Sorry to hear about the cooling gremlins and really glad to hear you did not get eaten by the Porsche guys, I hear that at almost every track event I go to then at least one or two guys will stop by and ask "what the hell has been done to that thing". My usual response is "it's close to stock" or "just bolt ons".
On a side note: Are you able to get more than 12-14 heat cycles out of the Hoosiers before they are done?
Dave
I just moved and one of the casualties is for the life of me, I can't find my Go-Pro :mad: so no video this weekend.

Regardless, I really REALLY enjoy passing GT3's :tongue: and I passed a lot of them. I was surrounded by them both on track and in the paddock and they mostly keep to their own kind. I gave them a healthy portion of rice to go with their sauerkraut :wink:.

All the fast cars in the Advanced group were running Hoosiers but I was on BFG g-Force R1's for the first time. I found them to be more consistent throughout the session with less fall off. Hoosier does have a brand new R7 tire which is supposed to address these issues.

Rob you can get a good cam for $60 on e-bay if you don't find your gopro.

I just moved and one of the casualties is for the life of me, I can't find my Go-Pro :mad: so no video this weekend.

You said you were down south for a while? Back now? Still with the fruit co?

Rob you can get a good cam for $60 on e-bay if you don't find your gopro.
That sounds worth looking into. Doug at TMR was nice enough to give me a credit for Sunday so I plan on being out there again 11/22. I heard the H4 is being released next month so I might have to do that. Not that I'm obsessed with the latest gadgets or anything :rolleyes:

Really missed not having it out there. I had some epic duels out there and the footage would have been fun to watch again. 1st event I've done in decades without a camera. Back in the 80's & 90's I had a massive VHS recorder mounted on my cage. I've got boxes of dusty old cassettes from back in the day. I need to convert them.

- - - Updated - - -

You said you were down south for a while? Back now? Still with the fruit co?
Yes! It took me exactly 20 months to sell my place down in the desert. Rough market down there, glad to be back home again. Figured a weekend at Sears would be a nice reward for all BS I've endured in the last 2 years. Neither I, nor my newly minted X-wife are currently in the business of pedelling fruit any more...

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with Shad... blown head gasket...:frown:

That sucks, this will give you time to focus on the IATs and get a solution built for that issue, I believe the two are related unless you find something obvious with a head stud.

Best of luck and let us know what you find.

Dave

I can only assume yes, since I have not changed it since I've owned the car. This is all just conjecture but all signs are pointing to the HG.

406whp on paper head gaskets is asking a lot. Not to mention IATs that would be at least 230-250* by the end of a long session. I am sure Shad will steer you straight and I know you are working on a cooling method so it looks like you are headed the right direction, no body wants their car to break but in the over all scheme of things that can happen a head gasket is really not that big of a deal, and way better than a transmission or piston.

You will be back out there before you notice. You will have less money, but you will be out there. :wink:

Dave

406whp on paper head gaskets is asking a lot. Not to mention IATs that would be at least 230-250* by the end of a long session. I am sure Shad will steer you straight and I know you are working on a cooling method so it looks like you are headed the right direction, no body wants their car to break but in the over all scheme of things that can happen a head gasket is really not that big of a deal, and way better than a transmission or piston.
You will be back out there before you notice. You will have less money, but you will be out there. :wink:
Dave
Agreed on all counts, with 9lbs of boost those oem gaskets should have been changed when we installed the blower. Just hoping I didn't hurt the motor out there. That was the most competitive track day I've done in years. Every lap was a dog fight and when the sessions were over I was completely drained and drenched in sweat. I hope the November event is just as well stocked with GT3's & M3 GT3's. So much fun!

I have a 3.2 and they have a metal head gasket OEM. So no need to change them as they are much less likely to fail then the old head gaskets from the early 3.0 cars.

Dave

Learn something everyday.... guess I don't have to worry. Now is that manifold in the works for me? :smile:

That was the most competitive track day I've done in years. Every lap was a dog fight and when the sessions were over I was completely drained and drenched in sweat. I hope the November event is just as well stocked with GT3's & M3 GT3's. So much fun!

There are some really good drivers out there. Allot of them have been TMR regulars for some time.
Not only are they quick but also respectful of your car as well... :)
Everyone takes there car home in one piece at the end of the day.

There are some really good drivers out there. Allot of them have been TMR regulars for some time.
Not only are they quick but also respectful of your car as well... :)
Everyone takes there car home in one piece at the end of the day.
Great to finally meet you Don, your car looks great, very envious of your new paint.
Agreed about TMR drivers, very respectful in the A group. We were all running similar lap times so it was nice to see some chivalrous point by's in the heat of battle.
Doug @ TMR runs a nice streamlined event without all the BS you deal with most of the other organizations.

I thought I posted earlier in this thread my concern about the IATs even with the 2.3L setup. I just assumed Shad had thought about this and it was a non-issue. Goes to show even the best of us aren't perfect! Hope you get back out there soon.
He's been promising me a DA after cooler ever since we installed the blower, he just hasn't had the time. Obviously I need to find another solution if I'm going to track the car with this kind of intensity.

- - - Updated - - -

TMR = Trackmasters?

Anyone ever run with SpeedSF?

Yes, TMR=trackmasters They offer no instruction and no novice or beginner group so there's less down time and less handholding. Never done a SpeedSF. Speedventures & TMR are my preferred orgs. for tracking for the above reasons.

It was great nsx friday for sure. Two+ years ago when I was first reading this thread I would never thought I'd have a chance to drive this car. On my way back home today and for good part of the afternoon I was going though driving sensations. I still remember how it soaked rough bumps mid corner. So planted and well balanced machine.

Rob, very nice meeting you and thanks again for the opportunity.

He's been promising me a DA after cooler ever since we installed the blower, he just hasn't had the time. Obviously I need to find another solution if I'm going to track the car with this kind of intensity.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, TMR=trackmasters They offer no instruction and no novice or beginner group so there's less down time and less handholding. Never done a SpeedSF. Speedventures & TMR are my preferred orgs. for tracking for the above reasons.

TMR has instructors. They don't offer instructors at Sears Point but due to a contract that sims has with the track.
The contract gives sim's exclusive rights at sears point.
No clubs can offer instructors at sears point.

Sears Point Raceway 03/07/2015

Fyi - I just registered for Trackmasters Sears Point event on 03/07. These are the same dudes that tried to steal my lunch money last September. The advanced group always is well represented with very fast well prepped track tools with lots of fast GT3's. I'm looking forward to the next round. Come on out and join us, should be a hoot! :cool:

Back