• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Building a $50K Track Tool to beat $500K Track Tools

Sears Point / Sonoma Raceway 06/06/2015

Another great weekend at Sears Point with Trackmasters & Speed Ventures.

When these two clubs get together it always guarentees a competitive event between Northern California & Southern California track rats. I did my part to hold serve on our home court with a very competitive Red/A1 Advanced Group of Porsche GT3's, BMW GT3's and the new Corvette Z06/7's! The weather was perfect with a cool morning, warming up nicely in the afternoon sessions creating optimul track conditions in the 3rd session after the lunch break. That turned out to be the perfect formula for me as I had planned to switch to my new BFG R1S's after lunch.

Pryor to this event I had never clocked myself in under 1:50xx at Sears Point. With optimal track conditions and new sticker softs I was able easily lap into the 1:48xx's. My 24yr. old vintage ricer was able to keep all the Porsches and anything else with a license plate, including several new Corvette C7 Z07's behind me.

This was the first time I'd encountered the new Z06/7 on the track and I came away with mixed feelings. It's a brutally powerful and very impressive car, but IMO, its still too big, too bloated and too heavy to be seriously competitive at Sears Point. There were two of them running in the Red Advanced Group and the drivers were clearly not up to the task of managing that beast thru the technical sections at Sears Point. I'm sure in the hands of an experienced driver they would be able to exploit its strengths better, but at 3500+ lbs. it's just too fat to be taken seriously. I'd take a Caymen GT4 or used GT3 over it all day.

Lots of variety on track including C6 ZR1's, Camaro Z28's, Cadillac's, Viper GTS's, Ferrari 458 Spider, and the usual glut of BMW GT3 race cars and Porsche GT3's. My car ran strong all day without so much as a hiccup thanks to the much appreciated prep of Shad/Driving Ambition and my talented and under appreciated pit crew of Roman (Solidol) and my amazing girlfriend. Lots of pics to share below. In-car video will be uploaded soon.

Last edited:
Awesome thread! Thanks for letting us all live vicariously through your posts :D

Rob, did you get new wheels? Or did you just black out the last set you had? I like the look.
Wish I could have made it out. Pre vacations suck! Always running around sorting things prior to leaving.
What upgrades are you going to do?

Rob, did you get new wheels? Or did you just black out the last set you had? I like the look.
Wish I could have made it out. Pre vacations suck! Always running around sorting things prior to leaving.
What upgrades are you going to do?
I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you...:cool:
Same wheel sets painted satan black (for sale / 2 sets).
You missed a great event AJ...

Last edited:
Fantastic gathering of tracked cars!

Thank you for continuing your thread.

I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you...:cool:
Same wheel sets painted satan black (for sale / 2 sets).
You missed a great event AJ...

I know man. It sucks. Next time my car WILL be tracked!!!! I hate going on vacation sometimes due to the stress induced of actually going! But the Florida keys and offshore fishing is calling me. When is the next track event?

Rob, are those the TSW Nurburgrings? How are they working out for you? I've been thinking about getting a set for my car.
No complaints what so ever. Just painted both sets satin black and they are for sale. I have two sets. PM me if your interested.

How did you overlay the second camera view? Pretty nifty.

How did you overlay the second camera view? Pretty nifty.
Thanks.
Look at avisynth. Specifically Layer function. Message me on Facebook if you need help. I'll send you my script. Just make sure your FPS rates are in sync - that's what got me yesterday ;)

Last edited:
I love following this build/track report.

Can't wait to watch the videos soon.

Whose red NSX in that last picture?

I love following this build/track report.

Can't wait to watch the videos soon.

Whose red NSX in that last picture?
Video is up (above) thanks to Solidol.

The red/white/black NSX is Armando's 2200 lb. / 500 whp 3.5L twin turbo race car, which I am in hot pursuit of in the video :cool:

@ Sears Point Raceway with Solidol

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
NSXPO Update

I was really hoping to have a Driving Ambition Aftercooler on the car in time for NSXPO 2015 but unfortunately the machine shop did not cooperate.:mad:

Ever since I've owned this car I have envisioned a wheel/tire set-up of 245/40/17 on 17x9 front & 315/30/18 on 18x11 rear.
Through Shad and Kip & Igor's help I'm finally there.:biggrin:

Forgeline GA1R Forged Matte Gunmetal 17x9+49 / 18x11+59

Last edited:
great build! been following along since the beginning...
Would be great if could use an app like "harry's lap timer" on your phone to record lap videos including G-Force data overlay, mph ect. its an awesome app allot of track guys use. and gives you allot of info to improve upon. read thread 1 and 22 here to see how the data works and how accurate it was compared to the motec data. http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/192908-N-A-NSX-Passing-porsches-w-Billy-Johnson

What did you have to do to fit such huge rubber in those wells?
Short Answer: Money$$$

Usual stuff, DF front fenders, rolled rear fenders, -3.2 deg. camber front and -2 deg. rear.

Most importantly is wheel off set. Forgeline GA1R Forged Matte Gunmetal 17x9+49 / 18x11+59

www.forgeline.com

Last edited:
Winter Upgrades

My winter upgrades currently in progress:

3.5L Comptech race engine.

Driving Ambition air to water inter/after cooler.

Downforce front fenders w/side marker delete.

Increase Eibach spring rates to 1000/700 lbs (from 750/600).

These upgrades along with the recent addition of custom racing Forgeline 17x9 / 18x11 wheels shod with 245/315 BFG R1S tires should end all arguments...��

Btw, my 3.0L built long block is for sale.

Last edited:
Back