• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Building a $50K Track Tool to beat $500K Track Tools

ah! I see. I aspire to drive my NSX like you do. Do you think the JDM short gears will be part of Ph2? Or are you relatively happy with the long'ish 2-3-4 set in there now. Appreciate your feedback too.
Meh, throws are not the limiting factor for me so its not at the top of my list right now. A clutch is! Then its all about HP. I figure I need approx. 100 more whp to get it done. Its only money...:eek:

Meh, throws are not the limiting factor for me so its not at the top of my list right now. A clutch is! Then its all about HP. I figure I need approx. 100 more whp to get it done. Its only money...:eek:

I don't think he's referring to short-shift kit, but the shorter gear ratios. Those are nice in an NA NSX.=)

Inspiring build! Looks like quite a lot of fun. May I ask what offsets you are running on those TSW wheels? They clear the Stoptech brakes with no spacers? And do you rub at all with the 235s in front? Thanks. Hope to see you out at the track sometime :)

Awesome read, and good work! It's nice to see a purpose built NSX with a set budget out to accomplish big goals. Interested in seeing more!

Sorry for the confusion. I should have said "tall" gears instead of "long" gears. The USDM gears are a bit tall and would not be considered "close ratio". The JDM gear set makes it a bit easier to stay in the power band. Sorry if you know this already.. you probably do! I could certainly understand if you wanted to keep the USDM gears especially if you go with some kind of forced induction but I hear most people typically go with the JDM gears and not do the 4.235 NSX-R final drive if considering a high HP bump? Maybe you can ask Kip and Shad their recommendation? (shameless request!)

I found this helpful but w/o any seat of the pants experience and with so many varying positive opinions either way I'm still struggling on the decision. The cost is not slight but you're right! It's only money! :)

http://scienceofspeed.com/products/drivetrain_performance_products/NSX/NSX_gear_ratios.pdf

Hope I didn't take this off topic.

Greetings Prime-mates, allow me to share with you my indulgence.

photo-3-1.jpg

Wheels: (Track)
TSW forged Nurburgring Matte Gunmetal/Machined
17x7.5" front
18x9.5" rear

Tires (Track)
235/40 ZR 17 front Toyo R888
285/30 ZR 18 rear Toyo R888

How much do these wheels weight? I am no expert here but I think there are better options out there, enkei pf01, advan rs or volk ce28

For reference, my enkei rpf1 with toyo r888:

Front :16x8 .... +38 .... 225/45R16 .... 34.5lbs
Rear :17x9.5 .... +38 .... 255/40R17 .... 40.5 lbs

Last edited:
Are you choosing a clutch based on future power levels? Also, IMO, 100 additional HP will be great but not quite enough. 150rwhp over stock is a good place to start.

How much do these wheels weight? I am no expert here but I think there are better options out there, enkei pf01, advan rs or volk ce28

For reference, my enkei rpf1 with toyo r888:

Front :16x8 .... +38 .... 225/45R16 .... 34.5lbs
Rear :17x9.5 .... +38 .... 255/40R17 .... 40.5 lbs

There are many wheel options, glad you like yours.
The TSW's are not the lightest option but they are forged and a lot stronger than your Enkeis.
Also, I bought 2 sets (8) for under $2K shipped...

TSW Nurburgring Rotary Forged Wheels
http://www.tsw.com/alloy_wheels_nurburgring.php

17 x 7.5 = 17.5 lb.

18 x 9.5 = 21 lb.

Last edited:
Are you choosing a clutch based on future power levels? Also, IMO, 100 additional HP will be great but not quite enough. 150rwhp over stock is a good place to start.

Of course I am, my car never comes apart without "adding" something while its down :wink:

While I subscribe to the doctrine that you can never have too much power, my motor has less than 35K on it so I'm not going to fix what aint broke... yet.

For my short term plans (phase 2) I'm leaning towards a Comptech 2.1 ltr S/C or maybe the big dog 2.4 ltr. for now.

I've got long term plans (phase 3) that are much more "involved".

Stay tuned... :biggrin:

Inspiring build! Looks like quite a lot of fun. May I ask what offsets you are running on those TSW wheels? They clear the Stoptech brakes with no spacers? And do you rub at all with the 235s in front? Thanks. Hope to see you out at the track sometime :)

Rears clear with no problem, fronts needed a small 5mm spacer.

Had to roll my fenders and "massage" the inner fender wall to accommodate the 235/40 17's. Not for the faint of heart...:rolleyes:

the oem brakes work wonder for what it is, the stoptech's are just in a different level. Just to give you an idea, I liked to bed in pads before the actual track day when I had the oems.

I was driving for an hour just trying to heat up the stoptech brakes whenever i have a chance at around 11pm with little traffic, i failed.... the rotor was stone cold and I could touch it with bare hands... It's almost impossible to bed them at street.

If you not planning to take the nsx to the track, dare i say it, even if you bringing it to the the track, you don't need bbk upgrade until you had 5-6 lapping days in advance level. I highly recommend the carbotech pads+motul+stoptech oem size aerorotors though.

Roger that... I'm not expecting much from two piston calipers circa 1991 vs something like this that I'm more used to on my tracked p-cars:
3-9-liter-motor-upgrade-porsche-997-GT3-RS-sharkwerks-motor-modification-dyno-tuning-at-evolution-motorsports-4.jpg

sharkwerks-gt3rs-techart-nose-lift-suspension.JPG

P1010702.JPG

Or these especially...
21.jpg

On the NSX I did improve the cooling a bit with slotted rotors, more aggro pads and brake cooling ducts (plus SS lines) so it's "better" but I'm nervous about going 130+ down the front straight a T-hill and hittin' those brakes for Turn 1;)

Pretty sure that Alex (sharkwerks) can drive :D, given the stable of cars that he has had at his shop. Sharkwerks used to have a Gen1 Cayman S with the EvoMSit RS350 that used to lurk around the tracks in NorCal. From what I heard that car ended up somewhere in your neck of the woods or even further north.

A few times but there's always someone faster heh! The Cayman S is in Canada now... as is my old 3.9L 996GT3. The Cannucks love to track:)
HT4U3592.JPG

MF1A3982.jpg

The initial bedding in procedure for the Stoptechs is quite the thrill and not for the faint of heart. ten 0 to 60mph and back to 5mph in rapid succession. These stops must be done hard, as in right at lock/ABS engagement. Then drive around until they cool off, park, wait until they are cool to the touch then repeat all ten intervals again. Fortunately, I live at the top of a steep hill so I could easily get all ten intervals in on one pass down the hill. Quite the g-load!

Hehe... sounds fun indeed. I've not had much luck with StopTech on p-cars but everyone has really raved about them on the NSX and it does seem like it's the only properly designed BBK available.

Do you have an oil pan baffle? From what everyone here says you are doomed to spin a bearing due to oil starvation. (somewhat sarcastic)

Love this thread! Great story. You may want to reconsider the SC, as there are heat soak issues at the track that may rob you of power after a few hot laps. There is also the issue of oil in the heads- you have a 91 so your rear valve cover will fill with oil during sustained VTEC, and FI makes it worse. DAL motorsports had a mod you could do to the valve covers to somewhat fix this. If I were building a supercar-killing track rat, I'd take a hard look at the SOS 3.5L stroker. Oil pan baffle is definitely a must if you are adding power. The stock pan is only good up to 0.8G or 1.2G "spikes." You should also think about a Ron Dennis radiator- cooling at the track becomes an issue in the NSX once you start adding major power.

Does driving ambition still sell Driving Ambition Carbon Fiber Front Splitter & Sealed Undertray? I don't see it on there site?
Are you using an external oil cooler?
Great ride man!
Erik
http://www.outrageousracing.com
The undertray is a race part which needs a lot of custom fab work to fit each car. If your car is lowered or even if it is not, using this piece on the street could cause major damage to it. Found that out the hard way... :mad:

Coolers and baffles are going on this and next week.

There are many wheel options, glad you like yours.
The TSW's are not the lightest option but they are forged and a lot stronger than your Enkeis.
Also, I bought 2 sets (8) for under $2K shipped...

TSW Nurburgring Rotary Forged Wheels
http://www.tsw.com/alloy_wheels_nurburgring.php

17 x 7.5 = 17.5 lb.

18 x 9.5 = 21 lb.

These are awesome wheels and I've been actually looking to pick up a set myself in the matte black color. This is an awesome build thread too, excellent choice in parts!

One thing to point out though is that the TSW are "Rotary Forged" which means that they actually CAST wheels, but the barrel is spun and shaped using a high pressure which gives it "forged" like properties. You should not confuse this with "fully forged" wheels.

This is the same process BBS & Forgestar uses and is about the same process as Enkei's "MAT" (and therefore they are about the same strength as Enkei). Rotary Forged is also commonly called "Spun-Rim, Flow-Forming or Rim Rolling Technology".
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=90

I'm assuming you went with these sizes?
17x7.5 +45
18x9.5 +40

Last edited:
These are awesome wheels and I've been actually looking to pick up a set myself in the matte black color. This is an awesome build thread too, excellent choice in parts!

One thing to point out though is that the TSW are "Rotary Forged" which means that they actually CAST wheels, but the barrel is spun and shaped using a high pressure which gives it "forged" like properties. You should not confuse this with "fully forged" wheels.

This is the same process BBS & Forgestar uses and is about the same process as Enkei's "MAT" (and therefore they are about the same strength as Enkei). Rotary Forged is also commonly called "Spun-Rim, Flow-Forming or Rim Rolling Technology".
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=90

I'm assuming you went with these sizes?
17x7.5 +45
18x9.5 +40
Yep, dems are dose.

If you're interested, I also have a set of the same wheels in matte gun metal in 18x7.5 +45 19x9.5 +41 with Nitto tires for sale. PM me if interested.

Love this thread! Great story. You may want to reconsider the SC, as there are heat soak issues at the track that may rob you of power after a few hot laps. There is also the issue of oil in the heads- you have a 91 so your rear valve cover will fill with oil during sustained VTEC, and FI makes it worse. DAL motorsports had a mod you could do to the valve covers to somewhat fix this. If I were building a supercar-killing track rat, I'd take a hard look at the SOS 3.5L stroker. Oil pan baffle is definitely a must if you are adding power. The stock pan is only good up to 0.8G or 1.2G "spikes." You should also think about a Ron Dennis radiator- cooling at the track becomes an issue in the NSX once you start adding major power.
Thanks Honcho, all great advise and much appreciated. Car is back at Driving Ambition where it has been ever since Monday when I had my clutch failure at Infineon. We are addressing the oil baffling issues along with an upgraded clutch.

My long term plans are a big bore, maybe even 3.8L. In the short term I am strongly leaning towards an intercooled S/C set-up.

I am very familiar with the dreaded heat soak issues caused from S/C from my Mini Cooper experience. There's no replacement for displacement but unfortunately, an N/A 3.5L isn't going to net enough hp to compete against 4L GT3RS's, twin turbo Nissan GTR's and 4.5L 458's. My money is on Shad and he believes the shortest distance between my wallet and those supercars is a blown intercooled system. Stay tuned.

Wei-Shen has a 3.5L Mase Turbo that he runs at about 8PSI. He tracks quite extensively and the car is wicked fast. I have been in the car and it corners flat as Oklahoma and sticks like fly paper.:eek:

That being said a turbo stroker would most definitely blow past your 50k goal.

Yep, dems are dose.

If you're interested, I also have a set of the same wheels in matte gun metal in 18x7.5 +45 19x9.5 +41 with Nitto tires for sale. PM me if interested.

Thanks anyway, need a 17/18 set for the track! :smile:

Wei-Shen has a 3.5L Mase Turbo that he runs at about 8PSI. He tracks quite extensively and the car is wicked fast. I have been in the car and it corners flat as Oklahoma and sticks like fly paper.:eek:

That being said a turbo stroker would most definitely blow past your 50k goal.
I'd love a 3.8L twin turbo but that would brake both my $50K rule and my "drive to the track, kill'em all, then drive home" since the turbos are not CARB legal in Cali.

Back