• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Building a $50K Track Tool to beat $500K Track Tools

awesome with a heavy mix of win............
+1
I agree w R.
Thanks for continuing to share your experience. Hope to meet you soon at a NorCal meet.

Have you ever considered Canards for the front?
My car produces a lot of downforce. Currently @ 250whp, the car feels very well balanced with the sealed undertray, splitter and ducted hood. My next upgrade is a blower so perhaps we will be looking for more downforce soon.

Finally found the time to do some video editing from the track day last week at Sears Point. This is from the last session of the day. The skies opened up on us right when we got on pre-grid. Had some fun in the rain with an endless parade of 911's on the last two laps.

Infineon / Sears Point / Sonoma Raceway (or whatever their calling it)
May 25, 2012 Trackmasters / Speedventures
Group A (expert) - Session 4 (last)
Track Condition: Light Rain

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the video. Congrats on the checkered flag amongst the sea of Porsches.
It brings back memories of driving my NSX at Infineon years ago.

Thanks for sharing the video. Congrats on the checkered flag amongst the sea of Porsches.
It brings back memories of driving my NSX at Infineon years ago.

Thanks Yawwn, as soon it started raining most of the high dollar Ferrari's and GT3's headed for the exits, leaving an open track for us peons in our vintage piles. It was by far the funnest session because of the slippery conditions. The wet track really brought out the quality of my set-up as my car worked brilliantly in those conditions.

Update Christmas in July!
I dropped her off at Driving Ambition today.
All the parts to the kit are finally in from CT and back from the machinist.
Looking forward to my Amtrak ride back for the dyno tune.
photo-18.jpg

photo-21.jpg

photo-19.jpg

How do you get from the train station to driving ambition?
The D/A shuttle service, which today was a 600hp NA1. What a beast!
Shad has always been very accommodating with rides to and from the station.

The D/A shuttle service, which today was a 600hp NA1. What a beast!
Shad has always been very accommodating with rides to and from the station.

Damn! Now I am gonna start making up excuses to take my car out there and leave it with him...

It's a nice train ride anyway...

Damn! Now I am gonna start making up excuses to take my car out there and leave it with him...
It's a nice train ride anyway...
If you're addicted to speed, you don't need an excuse to go see Shad...
The capital corridor is a very relaxing and stress free ride.

Just left my '02 with Shad. Saw your car in the back. It's beautiful in person, more so than in pics.
Thanks bee, that's very nice of you to say, she looks best from about 50 feet away :wink: Whatcha haven done to yours?

Will you be running an intercooler or squirting meth?
Not initially, Shad is confidant that if we keep the boost under 10lb. it will negate the heat issues. When its time to build the motor, we will go to a higher boost system and Shad will build me a custom aftercooler system to go with it.
What are your power goals?
The $64 question; Shad claims we should be right around whats on your sig. I'm not obsessed with peak hp. I'm building a track tool to compete with the local hypercars around here. Peak hp is nice for bragging rights and bench racing but what I'm really interested in is what will I have on tap on lap 10 in the August in full heat soak, when I've got that pesky GT3RS set up for a pass exiting the carousel. That to me is far more important and it remains to be seen. We're estimating an approximate 20% drop from peak hp. Will that be enough? We'll see, it's still a crapload more than I have now! I'm really excited to find out next month - stay tuned.

2.3L goodness! I'm insanely jealous.
Thanks, with the suspension, chassis, brakes, oil & cooling system, aero/downforce all in, this is the last piece of the puzzle.
(Ha! I can't keep a straight face while I type this). As long as I track this car, I know I'll never be done :rolleyes:
Would love to see more pictures of your custom fender mounted oil cooler. Especially the back side. Which oil filter sandwich plate was used?
I believe its the same as the SOS unit.
photo-3-2-1.jpg

photo-11.jpg

thanks! I may have to hit up Shad for one of these kits.

I know it's a pain to do so now, but if you ever get to a point where the fender lining is off, i'd love to see what it looks like back in there and how it's mounted to the chassis. Knowing Shad's work i'm sure it's solid.

thanks! I may have to hit up Shad for one of these kits.

I know it's a pain to do so now, but if you ever get to a point where the fender lining is off, i'd love to see what it looks like back in there and how it's mounted to the chassis. Knowing Shad's work i'm sure it's solid.
No trouble at all, when I get the car back I'll take care of it and post them here.
As you well know, Shad doesn't do anything halfway. He's an amazing resource.

Thanks bee, that's very nice of you to say, she looks best from about 50 feet away :wink: Whatcha haven done to yours?

There's an unidentifiable sound emanating from the steering rack/front axle area. Also getting a list of things that Shad thinks needs doing. My plan is to do them over time ... slowly :wink:

50 feet? I'd give it at least 15 :biggrin: Let's not make your car sound like it's some sort of Monet.

There's an unidentifiable sound emanating from the steering rack/front axle area. Also getting a list of things that Shad thinks needs doing. My plan is to do them over time ... slowly :wink:
In Shad we trust :wink: Lots of cars in there are on the long plan. That purple people eater has been in his shop for 4+ years!
50 feet? I'd give it at least 15 :biggrin: Let's not make your car sound like it's some sort of Monet.
The track is not kind to the berlina black my friend... :frown:

.............at this rate give it a few more years and you will be the $500K track tool:biggrin:

Just received this email from the Zen Master:

Hi Rob,
The baseline dyno was great: 260 rwhp and the compression was great all around 220 psi.

Thanks,
Shad Huntley
Driving Ambition
4241 Business Drive
Cameron Park, CA 95682
530-672-2086
530-672-2116 fax
[email protected]
www.drivingambition.us

Very good news :biggrin:

Back