• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Building a $50K Track Tool to beat $500K Track Tools

Wow ...... I miss a few weeks from stopping at Shad and here he is at it again with a new kit :eek::tongue:

550 cc with piggy-back fuel management, passes smog and no heat soak issues ......... and 145 rwhp gain is indeed impressive! Hopefully your clutch is ready/capable to hold it down with track action :biggrin:

So perhaps on a NA2, there would be an additional 20 rwhp?

550 cc with piggy-back fuel management, passes smog and no heat soak issues
No one said "no heat soak issues", thats pretty much inherent with all boosted motors. The conservative low boost design will hopefully minimize the losses and offset the need for additional cooling.
......... and 145 rwhp gain is indeed impressive! Hopefully your clutch is ready/capable to hold it down with track action :biggrin:
PowerGrip 1 installed last month. My trans is probably the next thing to need an 'upgrade'.
So perhaps on a NA2, there would be an additional 20 rwhp?
That definitely sounds like a buying signal...:wink:

I love your build spec and I can't wait to see your next track video. Maybe I'll see you when I pick up my car. I talked to Shad about possibly doing a track day when the car is done.

Last edited:
did Shad ever mentioned what kind of Intake Temps (IAT) your beast hit?
I will be talking to him manana and I will ask him. He's threatening to come out to Sears Point with me and I'm trying to close the deal.

thanks! I may have to hit up Shad for one of these kits.

I know it's a pain to do so now, but if you ever get to a point where the fender lining is off, i'd love to see what it looks like back in there and how it's mounted to the chassis. Knowing Shad's work i'm sure it's solid.
Here you go buddy :biggrin:
DSC00226-3.jpg

Update:
Getting prepped for a day of testing at Sears Point Raceway on Aug 3rd. Shad @ Driving Ambition is coming out with us. So far we've got four NSX's signed up. Prior to installing the CTSC, we were lapping in the 1:52/53's. My goals for 08/03 are to drive to the track, crack the 1:40's and drive her home, maybe with a stop for drive-thru :biggrin:

Working on relocating Boost/AFR & Fuel/Oil pressure gauges to center console where I can see them. I've also installed a remote microphone for my Replay XD1080P in car video to eliminate the wind noise. Shad has asked to display my car in his booth at NSXPO so I'm headed east to Boulder too for the weekend & trackdays. Guess I'll have to give her a wash :rolleyes:
Other than that, just doing some cosmetic stuff to clean things up. Will post pics when she's ready for primetime.

Last edited:
Brilliant! I'll have to give Shad a call for that oil cooler kit.

Hopefully you guys can measure your IATs with that 2.3L on there! Asides from not having deep pockets that's the only thing NOT pushing me over the edge for one haha.
We didn't measure IATs on the dyno and I'm going to have to wait a while for a D/A intercooler since they have to be made. In the mean time I think I'll just see what she'll do as is. On the street she really comes to life, especially in 4th & 5th gear. Before it felt like a built V6, now it feels like a built V8.
Trust me RYU, you want this and you know it! :tongue:

HOLY COW!!! 406 RHWHP is absolutely crazy!!:eek::eek:

Congratulations! Great Build!

Are you in Lamorinda / east bay? I think I saw your NSX in Moraga not that long ago... I just came across your thread by chance, and if I didn't see your car, then I saw someone's NSX that looks pretty darn identical to yours, which I think is a slim chance.

Are you in Lamorinda / east bay? I think I saw your NSX in Moraga not that long ago... I just came across your thread by chance, and if I didn't see your car, then I saw someone's NSX that looks pretty darn identical to yours, which I think is a slim chance.
I live near there and am a frequent flyer thru Lamorinda so that was likely me you sighted. Not too many NSX's around these parts.

Today I installed an AEM boost/afr & oil/fuel pressure gauge in the center console.
DSC00232-1.jpg

DSC00231.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I figured it must have been you. There are a couple NSXs around that I'm aware of but none that look like yours. Heck, with those wheels and the red accent striping, yours is probably the only one in the country that looks that way.

I know of 2 NSXs in Moraga (mine being one of them, a stock red 93, and a stock black NA1 as well) and then I've also seen a blue NA2 and a red NA2 targa time to time, though I don't know if they live locally or just visit.

that is a fantastic link! (and it totally validates me having a massive custom front bar built a few months ago :) haha)

The Dal guys were an awsome real world trial and error race team ,grass roots ect.....wonderful that ojas was able to archive those pages

Gauges now hooked up and fully functional just in time for my next track day on Friday. So far we still have four NSX's signed up to run in the 'D Group' (Race Prep).
Going to be a blast trying to keep pace. @ 400rwhp, I will still have the least powerful NSX out there.
DSC00231-6.jpg

DSC00224-3.jpg

DSC00228-8.jpg

UPDATE:
It's been a while since I gave an update so I thought I'd share some of the latest news. My last track day at Sears Point was a blast and very successful. It also revealed a few new things we need to focus on to squeeze the most out of all that new CTSC hp. My lap times dropped 3-4 seconds from my previous outings with no other changes other than adding 145whp:wink:

The additional hp also exposed the limitations in my stock LSD, gearing and stockish camber settings. Lots of wheel spin on corner exits translates to lost seconds. The solution is coming:
osgiken_800.jpg

After consultations with Shad Huntley and Kip Olson, we're going with the short gears which I already have and a 4.04 final drive. We are also adding a camber bushing kit and going to a wider footprint.

None of these upgrades will be ready for NSXPO as I just dropped the car off at Driving Ambition. Shad is trailering my car out to Boulder while I fly the friendly skies and meet him there on Thursday. I feel like a spoiled F1 driver :biggrin: For those that are going, See you guys and gals in Boulder!:biggrin:

For those that missed this in the Track Talk section, here's a link to a long session at Sears Point where I chased Rick's 500whp Turbo NSX thru the field in the 'Race Prep' class. Most of the other cars were just moving chicanes but I took full advantage of the traffic :wink: It was a good battle as Ricks car has basically the same suspension, brakes & chassis setup as mine. The main differences between our cars is his car has 100 more horsepower than mine, whereas I have the additional aero/downforce advantage. Made for an interesting duel.

BG3D4228.jpg

BG3D3438.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. Do you ever regret not turbocharging in the first place?
How were your oil temps?

Wow, I like how you navigated the track. I love the car selection on this day!!!

Thanks again.

Thanks for sharing. Do you ever regret not turbocharging in the first place?
How were your oil temps?
Wow, I like how you navigated the track. I love the car selection on this day!!!
Thanks again.
Unfortunately the turbo kits are not California legal so it was not a viable option.

My 1st choice will always be a N/A big bore motor which i will be going to when I wear this motor out. A high compression 4.0L will do just fine, thank you :biggrin:

Back