• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Building a $50K Track Tool to beat $500K Track Tools

Thanks for sharing. Do you ever regret not turbocharging in the first place?
How were your oil temps?

Wow, I like how you navigated the track. I love the car selection on this day!!!

Thanks again.

You won't be able to pass smog with a turbo nsx in Ca.

A supercharged car can have a fair amount of low end torque allowing you to pull out a corner.

The LSD will help put the power down. :)

A supercharged car can have a fair amount of low end torque allowing you to pull out a corner.

The LSD will help put the power down. :)

Will the 4L N/A pass smog?

You can pass on a turbo OBD1 car as long as your install is stealth (i.e. chop up a stock airbox and use it to camouflage your intake), and as long as you pass the sniffer... not too hard since they don't go over 2500 rpm during the test anyway.

wow I like your style! You're going to have to take me out on the track sometime, I'm also in norcal and had to sell my track car to go back to school :(

Got to see the car in Shade's booth at NSXPO. Looks great. Can't wait to see it out on the track tomorrow!

Just found this thread although we met at XPO. Love the thread. 4L NA? I suspect that you will end up 3.5 SC. With your skills and over 500 RWHP, the F-Car will be a thing of the past.

I had an absolutely fabulous time at my 1st NSXpo. I hung out with Shad and met many genuinely nice fellow NSX owners and enthusiasts. Through out my years, I have been involved with many different local, regional & national car clubs including SCCA, IMSA, Cal Club, PCA, POC, ARC, MCCA, MGA, etc. In my 30+ years of driving, NSXCA is by far and away the nicest group of people and they put on the best organized and most entertaining event I've ever experienced.

The social events were a blast, especially the 200++ mile drive through Rocky Mountain National Park, the Tebo auto museum and the go-cart track where I took the liberty of sampling the 125cc shifter cart. My back and neck are still sore from that pocket rocket! We even won an award at the banquet! Best Modified Car, a fitting award for all of Shad's hard work.

The 2 day track event at High Plains Raceway was of course, the highlight of my visit to Colorado. A big shout out to Shad who was generous enough to trailer my car across the Rockies in exchange for the use of my car as a display in his booth at the car show. The track was where I believe my car best exhibited Shad's expertise in car & track preparation and was his best testimonial.

From the first moment we arrived at the track, Shad was all assholes & elbows tending to everyone else's cars and all their long laundry lists of issues. He had a non-stop que in front of our pit of cars needing everything from brakes, hubs, wheel bearings, cooling issues, fluids, boost, tuning, broken wheel studs etc. etc. etc.

Meanwhile, I set about learning a new track (to me) and flogged the crap out of my car for two days. I ran in the red group with 3 - 4 other cars and had so much track time that I'd usually come in well before the checker. In my perspective, the greatest testament to Shad's brilliance was that in two days of flogging my car in 90+ deg. heat and 5000ft+ elevation, the only things my car required were fuel (lots), fluid top-off and my drivers side Recaro needed to be re-torqued from all the g-loading. Thats it.

Bruce put on a flawless event and on the 2nd day I had the chance to chase his very well prepared 3.2L NA1. Chase yes, catch? Not so much:redface: Bruce is a great driver and he really knows that track. After only a couple days of practice, coming within a couple seconds of his lap times was a moral victory for me. Not sure when I'll ever be back to HPR, but if I ever do, I'm looking forward to resuming that chase with some fresh rubber and valuable seat time.
How my pile crossed the rockies.
DSC00286_zps53774b7f.jpg

DSC00272_zps110415a7.jpg

Team Driving Ambition Pit & Paddock
DSC00256_zps675e468c.jpg

DSC00264_zpsd708eb71.jpg

Bruce's badass 3.2 track tool - (the only car I did not have an answer for)
DSC00258_zps039502d3.jpg

Jorligan's twin turbo 850hp beauty & beast and his wife's Noble
DSC00299_zps2a28eecc.jpg

DSC00302_zps734956fc.jpg

photo_zpscaec4f89.jpg

Last edited:
Best "modification" NSX?? LOL... who did the english on that? And who won that? you or Jorligan?

Last edited:
I won it this year, Jorligan's beast won it last year...

If you took the time to read my post you'd know this... :rolleyes:

Dave does'nt have time to read the whole thread wilst post whoring:tongue:

Perhaps this is why I won 'Best Modification'?
Wonder which 'modification' they're referring to?

Specification as of 09/25/12

Engine:
Driving Ambition/CT 2.3L SuperCharger
Custom CNC'd Match Ported Intake Manifold
550cc Fuel Injectors w/CNC'd billet aluminum fuel runners
Denso Fuel Pump
Modified Downforce Air Intake Scoop
CT Engineering Carbon Fiber High Flow Airbox, Lid & Uni Air Filter
Dali Racing Big Bore Throttle Body
Comptech Stainless steel Headers
ARK Exhaust with Race Cats
Fender Mounted Oil Cooler
Accusump Oil Accumulator

Transmission:
Short Gears with NSX-R 4.23 Final Drive Gear Kit
CT Powergrip Performance Clutch
Factory Limited Slip Differential

Suspension:
KW V3 Coil Over Shock Suspension Kit
Comptech Adjustable Sway Bar Set
Driving Ambition Front Bump Steer Kit
Front Pivot Clamp Kit
Non Compliance Tow Link Kit
Non Compliance Rear Beam
SOS Steering Rack Urethane Bushing Kit

Chassis Reinforcement:
NSX-R Upper Chassis Reinforcement Bar & Bracket Kit
NSX-R Lower Chassis Reinforcement Bar
Comptech Billet Rear Shock Tower Brace

Brakes:
Stoptech Big Brake Kit (x4) w/slotted rotors & steel braided lines
ATE Super Blue high temp Racing Brake Fluid
Downforce Carbon Front Brake Air Deflectors
ARP Extended Wheel Studs
R40 Extended Lug Nuts

Wheels: (Track)
TSW forged Nurburgring Matte Gunmetal/Machined
17x7.5" front
18x9.5" rear

Tires (Track)
Front: 225/40ZR17 Hoosier R6
Rear: 275/35ZR18 Hoosier R6

Exterior:
Driving Ambition Carbon Fiber Front Splitter & Sealed Undertray
NSX-R Ducted Carbon Fiber Hood
Carbon Fiber Trunk Lid
Carbon Fiber Mini Rear Spoiler Lip
GT-One Duel Element Wing (track)
NSX-R Carbon Fiber Rear Wing (Street)
NSX-R Carbon Fiber Side Intake Scoops
Carbon Fiber Engine Hatch Garnish
Difflow Rear Diffuser
Dali Racing Tow Hook
Dali Racing AC Duct Guards
HID Projector Headlights
Dark Smoke Side Markers Lamps
S2000 Antenna

Interior:
AEM Boost /AFR Gauge & Fuel Pressure Gauge
6pt. Harness Bar w/Simpson 6pt Racing Harness
Recaro Pole Position Leather Racing Seats
Sparco Ring Competition Steering Wheel (Suade)
MoMo Super Anatomico Shift Knob
Wheelskins Leather Shift Boot
SOS Billet Aluminum Racing Pedals
Replay XD1080P HD In-Car Video Camera & Mount
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH Nav/HD/CD/DVD/Bluetooth + Reverse Camera
Carbon Fiber Dash Inlays
Carbon Fiber Center Armrest
Passport Radar Detector w/front and rear sensors
Fire Extinguisher & Mount
Zanardi Floor Matts

Weight Reduction:
OEM Leather Power Seats replaced with Leather Recaro Pole Position Racing Shells
OEM Steering Wheel/SRS replaced with Sparco Ring Steering Wheel & SOS Hub
OEM Rear Shock Tower Brace Replaced with Comptech Billet Alloy Brace
OEM Exhaust Manifold replaced with Comptech Stainless Steel Headers
OEM Exhaust/Cats replaced with ARK Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Race Cats
OEM hood replaced with NSX-R Carbon Fiber Hood
OEM Trunk Lid replaced with Carbon Fiber Trunk Lid
OEM Rear Wing replaced with NSX-R Carbon Fiber Wing
OEM Side Intake Scoops replaced with NSX-R Carbon Fiber Intake Scoops
OEM Engine Hatch Garnish replaced with Carbon Fiber Engine Hatch Garnish
OEM Battery Replaced with OEM Honda Civic Battery
OEM Center Armrest Replaced with Carbon Fiber Armrest
OEM Ashe Tray replaced with Billet Gauge Pod

Weight Deletions:
Engine Cover Delete
Spare Tire & Bracket Delete
Tool Kit & Jack Delete
Windshield Wipers Delete

Weight Additions:
CT Engineering 2.3L Supercharger
Accusump & Fender Mounted Oil Cooler
6pt Harness Bar & 6pt Simpson Harnesses
Fire Extinguisher & Mount
Front Splitter/Sealed Under Tray
GTOne Rear Wing
Difflow Rear Diffuser

Next:
OS Giken LSD
Custom Short Gears with 4.04 Final Drive

It was great meeting you at NSXPO Rob! Congrats on the trophy, and I'm glad you had fun at the track. Hope to meet up with you again in the future, and perhaps witness you driving your NSX on the track too!

It was great meeting you at NSXPO Rob! Congrats on the trophy, and I'm glad you had fun at the track. Hope to meet up with you again in the future, and perhaps witness you driving your NSX on the track too!
Hey Kelvin, great meeting you too. I really enjoyed chatting with you. What happened to you?

Glad to see you made it back home ok, Kelvin. I did have a chance to witness this car on the track. It went something like this:

**1K2GO's track beast fills up Honcho's rearview mirror on back straight.**

Instructor: "Someone is coming up behind us."

Honcho: "I see him. That is 1K2GO."

Instructor: "Who?"

Honcho: "Nevermind. We have to point him by."

Instructor: "Oh. Ok."

**Honcho watches track beast roar past between turns 6 and 7 and rocket up the hill.**

:D

Glad to see you made it back home ok, Kelvin. I did have a chance to witness this car on the track. It went something like this:
**1K2GO's track beast fills up Honcho's rearview mirror on back straight.**
Instructor: "Someone is coming up behind us."
Honcho: "I see him. That is 1K2GO."
Instructor: "Who?"
Honcho: "Nevermind. We have to point him by."
Instructor: "Oh. Ok."
**Honcho watches track beast roar past between turns 6 and 7 and rocket up the hill.**

:D
Hey! I waved to thank you everytime I lapped you :tongue::biggrin:

Most interesting thread:smile:
I have a somewhat similar set-up as yours but with a LoveFab stage 2 turbo.
I run with Toyo R888s with camber set at 2°15' up front and 2°30' for the rear.
After an outing at the Le Mans ( Bugatti) track, my tires presented a significant wear on the last inch outwards.
Would you please share the set-up you are using?
Are you noticing significant wear also?

Rob,
Hope all is well, and thanks to you and Shad for the air and visual checks...you both made my first track experience very fine, indeed!
I had nothing to do with your passie seat adjusting...:eek:

Most interesting thread:smile:
I have a somewhat similar set-up as yours but with a LoveFab stage 2 turbo.
I run with Toyo R888s with camber set at 2°15' up front and 2°30' for the rear.
After an outing at the Le Mans ( Bugatti) track, my tires presented a significant wear on the last inch outwards.
Would you please share the set-up you are using?
Are you noticing significant wear also?

My entire current set-up is several post above.

I am having the same issues with my Hoosiers. Presently, I am running -2.3 neg camber up front and they are rolling over. -1.9 neg rear.

CT Engineering sway bars which I think are too small.

My car is currently at Driving Ambition to address these issues and we're building up my trans with custom gears and an OS Giken w/4.04 final drive.

Bigger bars and camber bushings up front to get to -3 deg. camber.

Also going to wider tires: 245/40 17 front, 295/30 18 rear Hoosier R6

What gears and final drive are you using with your Giken?

Rob,
Hope all is well, and thanks to you and Shad for the air and visual checks...you both made my first track experience very fine, indeed!
I had nothing to do with your passie seat adjusting...:eek:
Hey Dennis, thanks buddy, I really appreciate it and return your sentiments. It was fun taking you for a thrill ride around HPR.
Even more fun watching you squeeze into my Recaro Pole Positions:eek: I'm glad we were able to help and really enjoyed hanging out with you. :biggrin:

My entire current set-up is several post above.

I am having the same issues with my Hoosiers. Presently, I am running -2.3 neg camber up front and they are rolling over. -1.9 neg rear.

CT Engineering sway bars which I think are too small.

My car is currently at Driving Ambition to address these issues and we're building up my trans with custom gears and an OS Giken w/4.04 final drive.

Bigger bars and camber bushings up front to get to -3 deg. camber.

Also going to wider tires: 245/40 17 front, 295/30 18 rear Hoosier R6

What gears and final drive are you using with your Giken?
I'm not sure I understand how the wider tires are going to help?
In fact, when I use my Yokohama slicks that are narrower in the front, there is NO trace of unusual wear.
Maybe the secret would be to use larger rims but keep the same tires?
As for the OS Giken on my 5 speed gearbox, I have the original gear ratios with the 4.04 final drive.
It's a good mix because you get exactly the same speed in gears as the 997 GT3 except...that there is no sixth gear.
To me it's no issue as the on the fastest track in France I can "only" get to 240km/h ( 150 mph)
There is however one downside to the OS Giken and that's when you make a U turn, you tend to believe that you are breaking marbles in your gearbox :frown:
On the track however, no slip garanteed!
I'm also tempted by going to a 1 inch bar upfront but I'm concerned about "copying" on rough roads and there are plenty before I get to the tracks around here:redface:

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand how the wider tires are going to help?
In fact, when I use my Yokohama slicks that are narrower in the front, there is NO trace of unusual wear.
Maybe the secret would be to use larger rims but keep the same tires?
As for the OS Giken on my 5 speed gearbox, I have the original gear ratios with the 4.04 final drive.
It's a good mix because you get exactly the same speed in gears as the 997 GT3 except...that there is no sixth gear.
To me it's no issue as the on the fastest track in France I can "only" get to 240km/h ( 150 mph)
There is however one downside to the OS Giken and that's when you make a U turn, you tend to believe that you are breaking marbles in your gearbox :frown:
On the track however, no slip garanteed!
I'm also tempted by going to a 1 inch bar upfront but I'm concerned about "copying" on rough roads and there are plenty before I get to the tracks around here:redface:
I think we both need more camber in the front. Both the Toyo R88's & Hoosier R6's recommend -3+ camber. I have used both with the same results.
I should have mentioned that I am also going to wider wheels to go with the wider tires. This set-up is specific for Sears Point Raceway which is a constant radius.
More rubber = more contact patch = more traction = higher corner speed = lower lap times. It's Kip Olson's set-up.

Back