• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Building a $50K Track Tool to beat $500K Track Tools

I just hit the Like button :smile:

Nice write up. I'm a big fan of pcars having owned one (996). I'm currently working my e46 M3 to get ready for more serious track days. I'm hoping to pick up a NSX this fall/winter.

Nice write up. I'm a big fan of pcars having owned one (996). I'm currently working my e46 M3 to get ready for more serious track days. I'm hoping to pick up a NSX this fall/winter.
I'm still a big fan of P-cars... M-Cars... F-cars... C-Cars... etc. They are all fun and rewarding to pass. Yes Sharkwerks, keep posting pics of your giant ceramic Italian brakes, they are gorgeous! It's going to feel that much better when I chase you down in my vintage ricer :wink:

Btw, My clutch was indeed the culprit. A new Comptech clutch is going in along with some other Comptech bits :cool: My budget just got "BLOWN" to kingdom-kome :eek:

Last edited:
1K2GO - You might find this read interesting. Grab a beer, a scratch pad, and enjoy :)

http://ojas.net/nsx/mirror/dal

Awesome link! Gonna grab two beers though..:biggrin:

Aww.. you shouldn't have but since you did.. i'll be right over. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks RYU, great link :smile:

it always amazed me that people found that for ther first time now.. probably the best reads about the nsx not on nsxprime...

and one of the coolest and most sucessful independant racers of out car IMO...

hats off to rob yet again.

Wish I could make the 05/11 Speed Ventures track day at Infineon but my car will still be in pieces. Also had to cancel my 05/17 HOD track day at Infineon but I am registered for the 05/25 Speed Ventures track day at Infineon Raceway.

Here's what we're working on presently:

Comptech Powergrip 1 Performance Clutch Package
Comptech 2.3L SuperCharger
Accusump Oil Accumulator
Fender Mounted Oil Cooler

No guarantees it will be done in time but we're hellbent to make the 25th.
Pics to come.

1K2GO, great post and pictures!

Also coming from the Porsche world (20+ years) and road racing, it was a revelation to experience a NSX on-track at 10/10ths.
Want to vault to supercar status?
Send your car to LoveFab and let Cody work his magic.......

All the best,
Brian

Want to vault to supercar status?
Send your car to LoveFab and let Cody work his magic.......

All the best,
Brian

Have a feeling it's already going down that path, just not with Cody.

Enjoying this thread, thanks for sharing the experience with us. :)

Have a feeling it's already going down that path, just not with Cody.
Enjoying this thread, thanks for sharing the experience with us. :)
Indeed, I am in the capable and experienced hands of Shad Huntley and Driving Ambition. He has more experience with race prepped NSX's than anybody else on the left coast.

Although supercharging is not my first choice, it is the simplest and most cost effective means to my objective of breaking the hearts of all those high dollar, late model super cars. Stay tuned...

Last edited:
I would love to see Shad's version of a fender mounted oil cooler. Also will you be running a cooling solution for the 2.3l supercharger?

I might make the July 1 laguna seca speedventures. If you'll be there I'd love to say hello and see the car!

I would love to see Shad's version of a fender mounted oil cooler. Also will you be running a cooling solution for the 2.3l supercharger?
I might make the July 1 laguna seca speedventures. If you'll be there I'd love to say hello and see the car!

Last time I drove a car at Laguna it had 9 turns. Geez I must be old:eek:
Problem with Laguna is my car is loud and they have no sense of humor.
Can you come up to Sears on the 25th?

Shad and I both subscribe to the principal of KISS (keep it simple stupid).
The cooler is an Earls, very simple and straight forward. I have had many discussions with Shad about intercoolers, aftercoolers, o2/Meth and every other known and unknown method of keeping IT's in check. We have decided to keep it simple, high volume (2.3L SC), low boost (-10psi). No coolers, misters or injectors of any kind. A simple, conservative approach.

My discussions with Shad about peak HP usually go something like this:

Shad: "Oh, you'll have plenty of power"

Me: I'm not interested in peak hp on my first lap, I'm much more interested in knowing what this motor has on tap on lap 10 when I've got that pesky (fill in the blank) in my cross hairs and I'm setting him up for the pass..."

That's whats nice about Shad, he's built hundreds of these kits including some world beaters, like Kip Olson's, who happens to hold the lap record at Infineon btw. We're not reinventing the wheel here and I don't need 600whp to be competitive..

How much did that undertray cost if you dont mind me asking? Do you every do any track days down south? Looking for another NSX to roll with:smile:

How much did that undertray cost if you dont mind me asking? Do you every do any track days down south? Looking for another NSX to roll with:smile:
IIRC Shad charges about $2K to fabricate + install. I got mine 2nd hand from Kip Olson for $1K + $200 installed.

I started racing in SoCal and built my 911 for RIR (Riverside International Raceway). Living in NorCal now, I am very fortunate to have 3 world class road courses all within 2hrs drive, Infineon, Laguna & Thunder Hill. Willow Springs is a 6hr haul so its not very practical aside from the fact that it was never one of my favorite tracks. Now if they didn't turn Riverside into a shopping mall I probably would have never moved North.

So they did you a favor is what your saying:biggrin:. I use to live in San Jose before the military but never drove the car on the track... I really regret it now.

So they did you a favor is what your saying:biggrin:. I use to live in San Jose before the military but never drove the car on the track... I really regret it now.
They closed Riverside in 1988 and I moved to NorCal in '92... Draw your own conclusions :wink:

Having Sears Point only 45min. away is like having your own private disneyland. It makes it so easy to set your car up in your own garage the night before and go.

They closed Riverside in 1988 and I moved to NorCal in '92... Draw your own conclusions :wink:

Having Sears Point only 45min. away is like having your own private disneyland. It makes it so easy to set your car up in your own garage the night before and go.

You are a lucky man. Hope to see you out on the track or at a meet someday.

Target 0
Here's your basic $500,000.00 track tool - Ferrari 458 Italia
Rumored to have between 600 & 700whp
Full cage, air jacks, P-Zeros etc etc.
IMG_3499.jpg

IMG_3497.jpg

IMG_3498.jpg

The other red 458 is his daily driver
HOD5172012014.jpg

Updates
We were back out at Infineon/Sears Point yesterday (05/25) for the Speedventures/Trackmasters event. Great turnout with lots of high hp, well prepped track cars including Vettes, Vipers, Lotus, Ferraris, M3s, even a Panoz and a ton of Porsches as usual. We were not able to get the CTSC installed in time but we did get the CT powergrip clutch, fender mounted oil cooler, Accusump, reinforced front splitter/undertray and 'bigass' wing intime. The car ran fantastic and although we were way down on power, we were still able hold our own against most of the big dogs. Hopefully next time they see us, we will have something extra for them...:biggrin:
Cooler
photo-11.jpg

Accusump (tucked in right rear fender well)
photo-2-4.jpg

Splitter 1.1 (rob proofed)
photo-1-5.jpg

KJ0T4268.jpg

KJ0T4472.jpg

KJ0T5680.jpg

KJ0T7627.jpg

KJ0T6619.jpg

Back