• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Building a $50K Track Tool to beat $500K Track Tools

Greetings Prime-mates, allow me to share with you my indulgence.

Background:
I have been a gear geek and amateur road racer since the late '60's when my father snuck me into the paddock of the US Grand Prix at Watkins Glenn. I shook the hand of Parnelli Jones before he picked me up by my armpits and dropped me in the cockpit of his revolutionary STP Indy Turbine Car on display. I was 9 years old and hooked on motorsports for life.

I raced carts in the 70's even before I owned a DL. In the 80's & 90's, I built and raced a 911RSR in SCCA, Cal Club, IMSA, PCA, POC (and any other car club that would have me). My 911 was a sweet track tool and could chase down pretty much anything with fenders and doors. Back then, I believed the 911 was the absolute pinnacle of sports cars and anything else was just less...
DSC00222-5.jpg

In 1991, one of my P-car buddies & track rivals wrecked his prized track prepped 911 Carrera and did the unthinkable with the insurance money... He bought a HONDA! (NSX). Not only that, he showed up to a POC TT at Willow Springs with it, bone, showroom stock except for R compound tires. Much to mine and all my P-car bothers horror, he was lapping the big track within a second or two of his lap times in his fully track prepped 911 Carrara. While all the true believers cried "TRAITOR!" I was dumbfounded that this new Japanese sports car could run with a fully modded track tool. I have wanted an NSX ever since.

A few years later I met a beautiful girl, got married and walked away from auto racing in favor of domestic bliss... for the time being...

Since then, with my wife's blessing and participation, I have dipped my foot back into motorsports with sportbikes for a while and then Mini Coopers. My fully modded JCW Cooper made 300whp with coilovers, and all the usual track day doo-dads. She could run with the big dogs at technical tracks like Sears Point (Infineon) but she didn't have enough to pass them and drive away.
DSC00224-6.jpg

Last fall, I was in pre-grid at Sears Point starring at the rear end of a gaggle of GT3RS, ZR1's, ZO6's GTR's, Vipers, Lotus's etc that I was about to try and chase in my "little clown car" and I was thinking to myself: "what do I need to pass these M-F-ers without spending a quarter million dollars..." Then it dawned on me... HONDA!

Objective:
Purchase & build an NSX for trackdays that can compete with late model Porsche GT3RS, Corvette ZR1/ZO6, Nissan GTR, Ford GT, and other track prepped super cars.
Must be able to drive to the track, kill everything with fenders & doors, then drive home - for $50,000.00

I set my total net budget for this objective with a cap of $50K - complete, ready to compete against the big dogs in the dog eat dog world of track days.
I spent three months on an exhaustive search for a low mileage coupe. I was not interested in a "garage queen" or "cream puff". I didn't want a car I'd be afraid to get dirty, because it is going to get dirty. I needed an early car/coupe, low mileage, but rough around the edges, preferably stock or close to it. Ridden hard, put away wet. Using eBay, Autotrader, Craigslist; I searched the four corners for the right combination at the right price. Knowing that the less I paid initially, the more I have in reserve for upgrades.

After an exhaustive 3 month search, late last January, I found exactly what I was looking for just across the bay in San Mateo California (San Francisco bay area). A two owner berlina black 1991 NA1 with 35,000mi showing on the clock. Never tracked, no accidents, mostly stock, except for Comptech headers, Ark race cats, 4.23 final drive, 18s/19s wheels, H&R springs and big audio. Thats the good news. The bad news: four blown shocks, 18s & 19s on slammed H&R springs, a gigantic stereo system, so big I didn't fit in the car! and oh btw, leaks from pretty much every rubber seal & gasket on the car... All had for $26K. I had my work cut out for me.
file-32.jpg

file-41-1.jpg
file-46.jpg

Phase 1
The car in its initial state with four blown shocks, slammed w/18s & 19s was pretty much un-driveable and unsafe at any speed. As soon as I got it home I removed the sub woofer and monster amp so my wife and I could actually sit in the car comfortably. 24hrs after purchase, I drove the car to Driving Ambition which is just under 2hrs away, east of Sacramento. As most know, Shad Huntley's reputation is unparalleled as a race engineer and NSX Zen Master going back to the glory days of Comptech. I gave them the car for two weeks and they worked their magic. First they gave the under-cariege a one hour high pressure steam wash, a 50K mile service, replaced every rubber seal & gasket that was questionable, complete rebuilt cv's. After the maintenance was finished it was time to address the chassis and suspension issues. KW V3 Coil Over Shock Suspension Kit, Comptech Adjustable Sway Bar Set, Front Bump Steer Kit, Front Pivot Clamp Kit, Steering Rack Urethane Bushing Kit, Non Compliance Rear Beam & Tow Link Kit. We added a set of NSX-R Upper Chassis Reinforcement Bar & Bracket Kit and NSX-R Lower Chassis Reinforcement Bar along with a Comptech Billet Rear Shock Tower Brace. This was a $10K service and worth every cent. Shad & Co. converted the car from frog to princess.
photo.jpg

photo-31.jpg

Next objective was a major weight loss diet. I started by down-sizing the 18/19 inch TSW Nurburgring forged wheels for the same wheelset in 17/18 with the addition of a machined/polished lip for a little flair. I bought two sets, one for road and one for track. For the track I am currently using Toyo R888 tires 235/40 ZR17 & 285/30 ZR 18 with the intent of switching to Hoosier when these are toast.
photo-3-1.jpg

Next, I addressed the interior; two Recaro Pole Position leather racing shells and SOS rails replaced the OEM electric seats. I replaced the OEM steering wheel/SRS for a MoMo Competition wheel w/Rapid Steering hub. I also replaced the OEM gearshift knob and boot with a MoMo Super Anatomico knob and custom Wheelskin calfskin leather boot. I finished the cockpit off with a set of SOS billet aluminum racing pedals.
DSC00225-3.jpg

For safety, I added a Comptech Harness Bar and Schroth 6pt harness along with a fire extinguisher and mounting bracket. I finished the interior upgrade with a set of Zinardi floor matts for street use only.
photo-6.jpg

Next on the diet came a large helping of carbon fiber, R-hood, Trunk Lid, R-Wing with Mini spoiler, Downforce R-Type Side Scoops and Engine Hatch Garnish. Up front, I ditched the spare tire, bracket and switched out the OEM battery for a smaller Civic battery. I estimate a I saved approximately 200 lb.

Car was weighed at Thunder Hill Raceway by SCCA tech on a 4 corner digital scale. 2806 lb. with 2/3 tank of gas.

The next upgrade was the single most expensive component and along with the suspension upgrades, the most pivotable performance upgrade achieved; The Stoptech Indy big brake kit, ordered with 13" vented & slotted rotors, red calipers and steel braided lines on all four corners. This brake system was designed specifically for the NSX and it really shows. These brakes are all the business and when exploited fully with track rubber, will suck your eyes out of there sockets over and over and over, all day long with zero fade. Quite simply, these brakes are game changers.
photo-2-3.jpg

photo-7.jpg

DSC00234-2.jpg

At this point I was pretty close to my budget cap so any horsepower upgrades would have to wait for phase 2. I had just enough dough left to add a Dali Racing Big Bore Throttle Body and Dali Racing Super Chip. Although the HP gains from these upgrades maybe incremental, combined with the Downforce air intake scoop, CT Engineering high flow air filter, Comptech headers and ARK race cats, the results are a noticeable increase in throttle response.
DSC00228-5.jpg

I now have two track weekends under my belt in this car. The first one was at Thunder Hill at a NASA event where I squared off against a gaggle of the usual suspects of Mustangs, Cobras and Corvettes. The car ran flawlessly all weekend and although I was at a hp disadvantage to the fastest V8 racers, I was able to more than compensate with late braking and superior chassis/suspension set-up. By the end of each day, I had clear track in front of me.

VIDEO (Click on each image to view video)

DSC00225-5.jpg

DSC00222-6.jpg

DSC00255-2.jpg

IMG_9947.jpg

IMG_8394.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

DSC00249-3.jpg

DSC00273-1.jpg

The following week (04/23) I was at Infineon Raceway (Sears Point) with HOD (Hooked on Driving). Sears Point is my home track as I live approx. 45min. away. I love Sears Point and so does my NSX. HOD charges about twice as much as NASA or Trackmasters and by doing so, they attract a slightly more aristocratic demographic. My group (advanced/expert) was littered with no less than two Porsche 911GT3RS's, 1 Nissan GTR, one Corvette ZR1, two, ZO6's two Ferrari 458's two 430's, two Mustang Cobras, a Catterham and an assortment of well prepped hot hatches. The first session of the day, I was lined up about five or six cars behind the fastest of the 911 GT3RS's and I set about fulfilling my original goal of braking his heart. by the 3rd hot lap I had cleared traffic and was reeling in the RS into my clutches. I was setting him up for the pass exiting the famous carousel when my OEM clutch decided it had had enough of all of this class jumping nonsense. I must give a big shout out to the HOD officials as they gave me a full credit for my next event with them. That will be May 17 and I will be looking to finish what I started in April. In the mean time, enjoy the in car video.

Next:
Phase 2
= Kill 'em all! Stay tuned...

Current list of upgrades as of 04/25/12

Weight Reduction:
OEM Leather Power Seats replaced with Leather Recaro Pole Position Racing Shells
OEM Steering Wheel/SRS replaced with MoMo Competition Steering Wheel & NRG Hub
OEM Exhaust Manifold replaced with Comptech Stainless Steel Headers
OEM Exhaust/Cats replaced with ARK Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Race Cats
OEM hood replaced with NSX-R Carbon Fiber Hood
OEM Trunk Lid replaced with Carbon Fiber Trunk Lid
OEM Rear Wing replaced with NSX-R Carbon Fiber Wing
OEM Side Intake Scoops replaced with NSX-R Carbon Fiber Intake Scoops
OEM Engine Hatch Garnish replaced with Carbon Fiber Engine Hatch Garnish
OEM Battery Replaced with OEM Honda Civic Battery

Engine Cover Delete
Spare Tire & Bracket Delete
Tool Kit & Jack Delete
Windshield Wipers Delete

Engine:
DownForce Air Intake Scoop
CT Engineering High Flow Air Filter
Dali Racing Big Bore Throttle Body
Dali Racing Super Hot Chip
Comptech Stainless Steel Headers
ARK Exhaust with Race Cats

Transmission:
NSX-R 4.23 Final Drive Gear Kit
Factory Limited Slip Differential

Suspension:
Steering Rack Urethane Bushing Kit
KW V3 Coil Over Shock Suspension Kit
Comptech Adjustable Sway Bar Set
Driving Ambition Front Bump Steer Kit
Front Pivot Clamp Kit
Non Compliance Rear Beam & Tow Link Kit

Chassis Reinforcement:
NSX-R Upper Chassis Reinforcement Bar & Bracket Kit
NSX-R Lower Chassis Reinforcement Bar
Comptech Billet Rear Shock Tower Brace

Brakes:
Stoptech Big Brake Kit (x4) w/slotted rotors & steel braided lines
ATE Super Blue high temp Racing Brake Fluid
Downforce Carbon Front Brake Air Deflectors

Wheels: (Track)
TSW forged Nurburgring Matte Gunmetal/Machined
17x7.5" front
18x9.5" rear

Tires (Track)
235/40 ZR 17 front Toyo R888
285/30 ZR 18 rear Toyo R888

Exterior:
Driving Ambition Carbon Fiber Front Splitter & Sealed Undertray
NSX-R Ducted Carbon Fiber Hood
Carbon Fiber Trunk Lid
Carbon Fiber Mini Rear Spoiler Lip
GT-One Duel Element Wing (track)
NSX-R Carbon Fiber Rear Wing (Street)
NSX-R Carbon Fiber Side Intake Scoops
Carbon Fiber Engine Hatch Garnish
Dali Racing Carbon Fiber Engine Hatch Intake Scoop
Difflow Rear Diffuser
Dali Racing Tow Hook
Dali Racing AC Duct Guards
HID Projector Headlights
Dark Smoke Side Markers Lamps
S2000 Antenna

Interior:
6pt. Harness Bar w/Schroth 6pt Racing Harness
Recaro Pole Position Leather Racing Seats
MoMo Competition Steering Wheel
MoMo Super Anatomico Shift Knob
Wheelskins Leather Shift Boot
SOS Billet Aluminum Racing Pedals
XD HD Replay In-Car Video Cam
SatNav/CD/DVD/Reverse Cam
Carbon Fiber Dash Inlays
Concealed Radar Detector w/front and rear sensors
Zanardi Floor Matts

Last edited:
What an inspiring and fun read so thanks for posting. I've not really thought about tracking it yet and I've been slowly adding stuff here and there keeping it daily driveable... Even though I've tracked the gt3rs and turbos plenty of times the stock brakes on the Nsx give me the shivers... Sounds like those stoptechs are the business!

is there a "LIKE" button somewhere? so envy of running with the big boys in CA. I achieved my goal with my stock engine at my local track awhile ago. I also chosed TSW wheels for my track duty as well. I couldn't comment too much as i don't have any experience with the KW. if you ever want to get rid of the understeer nature, the DF wide fender will let you run 17*8 wheels with 35 et. My car is perfectly neutral with the same set of tires.

311240_10150392819794363_509914362_10147131_633081372_n.jpg

What an inspiring and fun read so thanks for posting. I've not really thought about tracking it yet and I've been slowly adding stuff here and there keeping it daily driveable... Even though I've tracked the gt3rs and turbos plenty of times the stock brakes on the Nsx give me the shivers... Sounds like those stoptechs are the business!

the oem brakes work wonder for what it is, the stoptech's are just in a different level. Just to give you an idea, I liked to bed in pads before the actual track day when I had the oems.

I was driving for an hour just trying to heat up the stoptech brakes whenever i have a chance at around 11pm with little traffic, i failed.... the rotor was stone cold and I could touch it with bare hands... It's almost impossible to bed them at street.

If you not planning to take the nsx to the track, dare i say it, even if you bringing it to the the track, you don't need bbk upgrade until you had 5-6 lapping days in advance level. I highly recommend the carbotech pads+motul+stoptech oem size aerorotors though.

I came across that car in my search for my NSX. You made it a very fine machine Sir. Love the license plate frame GO BEARS!!

Cheers

the oem brakes work wonder for what it is, the stoptech's are just in a different level. Just to give you an idea, I liked to bed in pads before the actual track day when I had the oems.

I was driving for an hour just trying to heat up the stoptech brakes whenever i have a chance at around 11pm with little traffic, i failed.... the rotor was stone cold and I could touch it with bare hands... It's almost impossible to bed them at street.

If you not planning to take the nsx to the track, dare i say it, even if you bringing it to the the track, you don't need bbk upgrade until you had 5-6 lapping days in advance level. I highly recommend the carbotech pads+motul+stoptech oem size aerorotors though.

Pretty sure that Alex (sharkwerks) can drive :D, given the stable of cars that he has had at his shop. Sharkwerks used to have a Gen1 Cayman S with the EvoMSit RS350 that used to lurk around the tracks in NorCal. From what I heard that car ended up somewhere in your neck of the woods or even further north.

To the OP, some of us old time NSX track rats (or like myself an ex NSX owner who switched to P-cars) will be at Infineon the weekend of May 10-11-12-13 with either Speedventures or with Trackmasters, would be nice to have a chance to check out your car if you can make it to the event.

BTW: Advanced in HOD is not that fast unless you share the track with the race cars that show up every once in a while ;), the crazy folks usually run with Speedventures :D

The initial bedding in procedure for the Stoptechs is quite the thrill and not for the faint of heart. ten 0 to 60mph and back to 5mph in rapid succession. These stops must be done hard, as in right at lock/ABS engagement. Then drive around until they cool off, park, wait until they are cool to the touch then repeat all ten intervals again. Fortunately, I live at the top of a steep hill so I could easily get all ten intervals in on one pass down the hill. Quite the g-load!

BTW: Nice video, seems like you were doing 2:00 laptimes with traffic.

If your budget allows go for the 6 speed conversion the gear ratios on the 5 speed are not that great for most tracks. Oops never mind noticed that NSXR 4.23 Final Drive on your mod signature.

BTW: The NSX-R rear wing is useless for serious trackwork.

Last edited:
The initial bedding in procedure for the Stoptechs is quite the thrill and not for the faint of heart. ten 0 to 60mph and back to 5mph in rapid succession. These stops must be done hard, as in right at lock/ABS engagement. Then drive around until they cool off, park, wait until they are cool to the touch then repeat all ten intervals again. Fortunately, I live at the top of a steep hill so I could easily get all ten intervals in on one pass down the hill. Quite the g-load!

Ask me how i know that!! I lived up the hill as well, but if i do the recommend way, I would wake up the neighbor and they will call the cops on me:tongue:

To the OP, some of us old time NSX track rats (or like myself an ex NSX owner who switched to P-cars) will be at Infineon the weekend of May 10-11-12-13 with either Speedventures or with Trackmasters, would be nice to have a chance to check out your car if you can make it to the event.

BTW: Advanced in HOD is not that fast unless you share the track with the race cars that show up every once in a while ;), the crazy folks usually run with Speedventures :D

Sounds like a I may have rattled a cage! If I can get a clutch in by then I'd love to join the 'crazy folks' :biggrin: That was my first HOD experience and as I said, definitely high brow compared to NASA & Trackmasters. Btw, there's a couple a very quick cars and drivers in HOD, particularly one well prepared 458 Italia that was lapping in the 1:45s. Maybe thats the exception in HOD, but I had target fixation on them. What kind of lap times are you seeing at Sears?

BTW: Nice video, seems like you were doing 2:00 laptimes with traffic.

If your budget allows go for the 6 speed conversion the gear ratios on the 5 speed are not that great for most tracks. Oops never mind noticed that NSXR 4.23 Final Drive on your mod signature.

BTW: The NSX-R rear wing is useless for serious trackwork.

I've got a GTone wing and splitter/sealed under tray reserved for special occasions. Btw that video was the initial laps of the 1st session (and my last:frown:). I'll have to wait until next month to find out what it and me are capable of with clear track. Needless to say, there's a lot of room for improvement.

Sounds like a I may have rattled a cage! If I can get a clutch in by then I'd love to join the 'crazy folks' :biggrin: That was my first HOD experience and as I said, definitely high brow compared to NASA & Trackmasters. Btw, there's a couple a very quick cars and drivers in HOD, particularly one well prepared 458 Italia that was lapping in the 1:45s. Maybe thats the exception in HOD, but I had target fixation on them. What kind of lap times are you seeing at Sears?

I'm yet to run Infineon with HOD.

With HOD at Laguna I know of a well prepped Cayman S that is prepped by BRRAcing that is down in the 1:42 with R-comps, and a couple of Boxster Spyders down in the 1:42 one is a stock 6speed with just some MPSC and the other one is a PDK with a rear swaybar and GT3 front LCA's and NT01's. The stock 997GT3's are down in the 1:36-1:39 range at Laguna with R comps and track alignment specs.

The same folks do around 1:5X's with their Cayman/Spyder at Infineon, and the GT3's are down in the 1:4X range according to what I've heard.

Kip Olson used to do 1:4X's at Infineon consistently with his NSX, and that was with a SC and slicks.

I've got a GTone wing and splitter/sealed under tray reserved for special occasions. Btw that video was the initial laps of the 1st session (and my last:frown:). I'll have to wait until next month to find out what it and me are capable of with clear track. Needless to say, there's a lot of room for improvement.

Putting the power down seemed to be a bit of a challenge even with the R888's based on the video that you posted.

What spring rates are you running on the KW V3s on your car?

I'm yet to run Infineon with HOD.

With HOD at Laguna I know of a well prepped Cayman S that is prepped by BRRAcing that is down in the 1:42 with R-comps, and a couple of Boxster Spyders down in the 1:42 one is a stock 6speed with just some MPSC and the other one is a PDK with a rear swaybar and GT3 front LCA's and NT01's. The stock 997GT3's are down in the 1:36-1:39 range at Laguna with R comps and track alignment specs.

The same folks do around 1:5X's with their Cayman/Spyder at Infineon, and the GT3's are down in the 1:4X range according to what I've heard.

Kip Olson used to do 1:4X's at Infineon consistently with his NSX, and that was with a SC and slicks.
I definitely need more beans to crack the 40s at Sears.
I've got a lot of Kip's hand-me-downs on my pile :biggrin:
We share the same race engineer and his car is my blueprint.
Stay tuned, phase 2 is in play...

I loved reading this. Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

How come you didn't go with the "short" gear set when you decided to do the 4:235 final drive? Just a curious question since i've been battling with the same decision.

Thanks RYU, I really appreciate your sentiments. One of the few upgrades the car had on it when I bought it was the 4:23 final drive. One less thing!

Thanks RYU, I really appreciate your sentiments. One of the few upgrades the car had on it when I bought it was the 4:23 final drive. One less thing!
ah! I see. I aspire to drive my NSX like you do. Do you think the JDM short gears will be part of Ph2? Or are you relatively happy with the long'ish 2-3-4 set in there now. Appreciate your feedback too.

Dam! That was awesome. Great story. Welcome to the NSX world. I hope to see you at a local meet or the track one day.

I love the Mini pic. I just picked up a Dinan S2 Mini in January and I'm loving it. Had it out at Thunderhill the next month and it was a lot of fun.

Oh yeah.....GO BEARS!

Having Kip's hand me downs and all the knowledge base, is kind of cheating, isn't it? ;)
Wait, What!? Cheating in motorsports??? Parish the thought :tongue:

Going from an over-powered rear engine car (911) to an over-powered front wheel drive car (Mini Cooper), to a beautifully balanced under-powered mid-engined car *almost* feels like cheating... Now I get to mess with that balance and make it 'scary'. :cool:

Dam! That was awesome. Great story. Welcome to the NSX world. I hope to see you at a local meet or the track one day.
I love the Mini pic. I just picked up a Dinan S2 Mini in January and I'm loving it. Had it out at Thunderhill the next month and it was a lot of fun.
Oh yeah.....GO BEARS!
Looking forward to it too - GO BEARS!

Back