• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question for those who have a climate controlled garage.

What temperature and humidity do you folks target for?

On the interwebs people mention the ideal is anywhere from 20%-70%. Arizona dryness is absolutely brutal on rubber/petroleum/organic based components. I'd say just as damaging as excessive moisture. I've measured as low as 5% RH in the garage during winter. The heater dries the air, and A/C dries the air. I've thrown lightning bolts from my fingers when wearing socks in the house.

Today I added a humidifier. For now I'm targeting 70-80 degrees 30% RH. Is this sufficient? If I target for 70%, there won't be enough water in Arizona for the fish.

Last edited:

On the interwebs people mention the ideal is anywhere from 20%-70%. Arizona dryness is absolutely brutal on rubber/petroleum/organic based components. I'd say just as damaging as excessive moisture. I've measured as low as 5% RH in the garage during winter. The heater dries the air, and A/C dries the air. I've thrown lightning bolts from my fingers when wearing socks in the house.

Today I added a humidifier. For now I'm targeting 70-80 degrees 30% RH. Is this sufficient? If I target for 70%, there won't be enough water in Arizona for the fish.

I don't have a climate controlled garage, but that seems fine. Typical humidity levels in and around Chicago (where I live) are around 25-35% on a comfortable day.

The temperature in my garage is controlled and stays between 65-75 degrees depending on season, I go down to about 65 in the winter and up to 75 in the summer to minimize overall heating/cooling costs. I do not regulate the RH, although, I would assume its averaging somewhere between 50-60%?

I was just talking about this with an HVAC guy that is looking at putting a mini-split in my garage here in Phoenix.

Seems that the car mags are saying 50% Relative Humidity is a good target but could be hard to achieve here in PHX unless you have a very tight controlled airspace.

Back