• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Fuel cut with about 1/3 tank of gas?

Yesterday, I went through a set of carousel turns at the track, with about a 1/3 tank (maybe 1/4 tank), coming out, needle was down to E and I hit fuel cut for a brief moment, then the needle went back up. I obviously knew the gas would slosh around, but not that much to miss the pickup.

Is that to be expected, starting around a 1/3 tank? I know we can baffle our oil pans, but is there any solution to the gas tank other than being sure you have 1/2 tank or more?

I don't know why your car did that,but for reference I have run the track plenty of times with the needle just at E and have never had a loss of power,rev limiter yes ,but not low fuel:confused:

I don't know why your car did that,but for reference I have run the track plenty of times with the needle just at E and have never had a loss of power,rev limiter yes ,but not low fuel:confused:

Hmm.. it's POSSIBLE I hit the rev limiter, it was pretty close to a shift point, but that would surprise me. I just remember when I immediately glanced down, the needle was right on E...

Were you overheating? Rev limiter kicks in sooner (~7k) when you start to overheat..

Last edited:
i noticed the same problem for mine too, and it's only happened at higher rpm with higher speed g loading. Mine happens in left turn for the 2 tracks that i went to. It usually happens when the fuel is low and/or track temp is higher.

My mechanic thinks the old fuel pump is the culprit; while I also wonder since it's kind of related to heat. (I never had this problem until later of the day or after lunch.) It could be the fuel pump relay...

please do keep us inform if you fix the problem.

i noticed the fuel gauge showing lower too, but did not experience any fuel cutoff. i did fuel up to be safe, though.

Rev limiter can also cut in with cold engine at 7K. Was it your first lap? I've run with 1/4 tank and never had a problem (OEM fuel pump).

Ran an autocross yesterday and started with the needle on E, no fuel cut through any of the horseshoe turns. not the same length of g-load, but I *might* have had 2 gallons in the tank at the time.

I've seen my needle hit E from slosh on the track, but haven't experienced any fuel starve there either.

Ive found that if I am below 2/3 of a tank at the end of a 20 min session the gauge will read empty, I dont get cut outs though and the needle rises slowly again after I am still for a bit.

Ive found that if I am below 2/3 of a tank at the end of a 20 min session the gauge will read empty, I dont get cut outs though and the needle rises slowly again after I am still for a bit.

That's the same thing I get.

When was the last time you checked your fuel filter. In my scenario at Infineon turn 10 - the last place you want this to happen, the culprit was a dirty fuel filter (about 9 years old with 45K miles)

2nd owner of the car, I've personally never checked the fuel filter. If mine is original, then it would be 8 years old with 70k. I guess it wouldn't hurt to check it and replace it. :)

Should I stick with OEM or is there another fuel filter of choice? Where is it located and how easy to replace?

Since the fuel system is pressurized, it's hard to believe that a fuel filter would delay fuel only in turns :confused:. If the filter was dirty enough to restrict fuel, you would notice it more at lower pressure, or speeds below 4K rpm. Just thinkin out loud here folks.

The OEM filter isn't very exspensive but it can be a PITA to replace. If you have an impact wrench be sure to use it. The bolts are very stubborn to remove and the filter hard to hold onto to. Located on the passenger side engine compartment near the firewall (easy to see and access).

Last edited:
I'd be interested to hear what Billy would have to say on this topic.... :cool:

2nd owner of the car, I've personally never checked the fuel filter. If mine is original, then it would be 8 years old with 70k. I guess it wouldn't hurt to check it and replace it. :)
:eek:

In the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual and service manual, Honda/Acura recommends replacing the fuel filter and rubber fuel lines/hoses every 60K miles or 4 years, whichever comes first.

Should I stick with OEM or is there another fuel filter of choice?
OEM.

Where is it located and how easy to replace?
LITFM (pages 11-4 and 11-97).

Wow fuel cut with a 1/3rd tank... i've had 1-2 gallons in my car and never hit fuel cut in a loaded turn...

I suspect something else...

Ok, another track NSX here experiencing a similar issue: after a double right-hander, transitioning into a left turn, upon acceleration in 2nd gear beginning at approximately 5K RPM I get "cut cut cut cut cut", then I am allowed to accelerate at the beginning of track out. I have only experienced this issue on one of three tracks I have been on this season - Autobahn South. For reference, here is a track map, it is out of T2 into T3. The car is on 235/275 NT01 with KW V3 and it has a baffled oil pan.

I should note it became noticeable at about the 4th session of the day (when I set fastest lap of the day for TTB) and really seemed to start intermittently. That was Saturday and I figured since I had not re-fueled, that I was just getting too low on gas in the tank but was a little worried as I had not experienced this issue in 2 years of track in the NSX.

I filled up next morning, went out in session 1, and it was there EVERY time I began acceleration for T3. I tried rolling into the throttle, hovering and delaying throttle, none of it worked, it would continuously cut at the same point and no where else around the track. ***This was regardless of fuel level, full tank, half tank, it did not matter.***

I have consulted with a local NSXpert, DDozier, and all things seem to point to an over heating fuel pump. After all, the entire fuel system on my car is almost definitely original....23 years old! I just wanted to see if any one else on here has had the same issue, replaced the fuel pump, and never had the issue happen again? I'm running time trial so it is definitely costing me real time out there. I should add a friend of mine that runs SCCA pro rally recommended a surge tank but added that his Lotus Elise track car came with one from the previous owner and the wiring for it shorted out leaving him stranded a few miles from home. Anyone used a surge tank on an NSX? Just another thing that can fail? FWIW changing the fuel pump looks like a LONG job.

Last edited:
Stupid question but have you changed your fuel filter? what you describe has happened too me too. its an on going drama do you get a CEL when it skips?

is the skip similar to this. 0:54- 1:14 in this video

Back