• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

how to get a "Clear Title" in NJ

I am hoping to purchase and pick up my 91 NSX in NJ this week. The car was financed through PenFed, but is now paid off. I have a PDF of the letter from PenFed. The owner went to the DMV to have a Clear Title issued, but was told the following.

I visited the DMV this morning and they cleared my title on their system. They told me that a new title would only be issued when the vehicle is sold. They assured me that the title is now clear and ready for transfer.

I would like to show my bank (that will issue the cashier's check), State Farm insurance, and, of course, my Wife, that I am buying a car with no liens. I asked the buyer to provide something from the DMV that says the Title is Clear.

Any ideas what to do next?

Thanks,

Don

Hi Don all you need from seller title and bank letter with paid stamp.and when finance company put stamp paid make sure it's notarized.when you register car they will give you clear title.that's how it's work in NJ.

Hi Don all you need from seller title and bank letter with paid stamp.and when finance company put stamp paid make sure it's notarized.when you register car they will give you clear title.that's how it's work in NJ.

Make sure it's notarized for sure

All you need to title the car is the original title with the lein release from bank.

All you need to title the car is the original title with the lein release from bank.

correct. i've sold a number of cars through the years.
When you register a car that has a lien; the title is recorded at the DMV with both the borrower and lien holder listed on it . The title, once processed and issued, is then mailed to the lienholder to hold till the lien is satisfied.

If he has paid off the car(either with proceeds of the sale to you or with his own funds), the Lienholder will mail a release letter to him stating such. They will also mail him back the original title with a stamp(signed and dated) releasing the lien. The owner has no need to go to the DMV for a title. Hope this helps.:smile:

Welcome to the community.

Thanks, you guys are Awesome ! I guess the NJ DMV must have thought I was a NJ resident as well.

So, I do see the Title was Stamped and Dated "released March 26, 2102", so the letter is kind of not necessary for me, just the Title that has been stamped, and the seller should Sign the back (?) I believe releasing the NSX to me, and then I go to the WV DMV after I pick up the car, and they will re-Title the car to me.

This is making sense now. I didn't notice the stamp on the PDF until you mentioned it above. Thanks so much.

After 22 years, I will finally have my NSX

Back