• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

17/17 and 17/18 Tire Choices - not much left.

It seems like the options for the NSX tire sizes is slowly getting fewer and fewer.

For everyone's knowledge, list what's left for:

Front - 17x7.5 - 17x8

215/40-17:

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec (Extreme Performance Summer)
Falken Azenis RT-615K (Extreme Performance Summer)
Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 (Extreme Performance Summer)
Continental ExtremeContact DW* (Max Performance Summer) * Not on Tire Rack but everywhere else.
Kumho Ecsta LE Sport (Max Performance Summer)
BFGoodrich g-Force Sport (Ultra High Performance Summer)
BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 (Ultra High Performance Summer)
Sumitomo HTR Z II (Ultra High Performance Summer)
Yokohama S.drive (Ultra High Performance Summer)

235/40-17:

Bridgestone RE-11 ( Extreme Performance Summer)
Toyo Proxes R1R (Extreme Performance Summer)
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 (Max Performance Summer)

Toyo R888 (Track & Competition DOT)
Toyo RA-1 (Track & Competition DOT)
BFGoodrich R1 (Track & Competition DOT)

Rear - 17x8.5 - 17x10

255/40-17:

Continental ExtremeContact DW (Max Performance Summer)

265/40-17:

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec (Extreme Performance Summer)*
Continental ExtremeContact DW (Max Performance Summer)*

275/40-17

Toyo Proxes R1R (Extreme Performance Summer)
Continental ExtremeContact DW (Max Performance Summer)*
BFGoodrich g-Force Sport (Ultra High Performance Summer)*
BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 (Ultra High Performance Summer)*
Yokohama S.drive (Ultra High Performance Summer)*

Rear - 18x9.5 - 18x10.5

255/35-18:

265/35-18:

275/35-18:

295/35-18:

Last edited:
Continental ExtremeContact DW - 215/40/17 & 255/40/17

And don't forget on oem 02+ 17x7 you can run 205/40/17 - which NT01, R888 & RA1s are available.

sent from my crappy cell phone.

Last edited:
There is also a newer tire by a European company Vredestein called the Ultrac Sessanta. It is available in factory sizes. Although they are building there dealer network in the states so you will most likely have to buy online.

I have had my set for a year. Pretty happy with them.

I bought mine from vulcantire.com.

Front - 17x7.5 - 17x8

215/40-17:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?skipOver=true&width=215/&ratio=40&diameter=17
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchTiresBySize.do?sw=false&cs=215&ar=40&rd=17

235/40-17:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?skipOver=true&width=235/&ratio=40&diameter=17
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchTiresBySize.do?sw=false&cs=235&ar=40&rd=17

Rear - 17x8.5 - 17x10

255/40-17:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?skipOver=true&width=255/&ratio=40&diameter=17
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchTiresBySize.do?sw=false&cs=255&ar=40&rd=17

265/40-17:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?skipOver=true&width=265/&ratio=40&diameter=17
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchTiresBySize.do?sw=false&cs=265&ar=40&rd=17

275/40-17
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?skipOver=true&width=275/&ratio=40&diameter=17
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchTiresBySize.do?sw=false&cs=275&ar=40&rd=17

Rear - 18x9.5 - 18x10.5

255/35-18:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?skipOver=true&width=255/&ratio=35&diameter=18
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchTiresBySize.do?sw=false&cs=255&ar=35&rd=18

265/35-18:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?skipOver=true&width=265/&ratio=35&diameter=18
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchTiresBySize.do?sw=false&cs=265&ar=35&rd=18

275/35-18:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?skipOver=true&width=275/&ratio=35&diameter=18
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchTiresBySize.do?sw=false&cs=275&ar=35&rd=18

295/35-18:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?skipOver=true&width=295/&ratio=35&diameter=18
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchTiresBySize.do?sw=false&cs=295&ar=35&rd=18

Here are the best street tires in the best sizes for the NSX for 17"/17" and 17"/18" fitments:

215/40-17 front:

Continental ExtremeContact DW* (Max Performance Summer)

255/40-17 rear:

255/35-18 rear (best for TCS for '94-05 NSX):

265/35-18 rear (best for TCS for '91-93 NSX):

The extreme performance tires give the best grip; the max performance and ultra high performance tires last longer than the extreme performance tires. Personally, I wouldn't recommend ultra high performance tires for an NSX, since they're a significant step down in performance from the other two groups.

*The Tire Rack website does not show the Continental ExtremeContact DW in 215/40-17, but they are available in this size elsewhere, including Discount Tire Direct.

I wonder why Tire Rack doesnt list the 215/40-17 DW on their website.

Also, no longer listed on discounttire.com now.

Did they stop making this tire in this size?

Also, no longer listed on discounttire.com now.

Did they stop making this tire in this size?
I don't know. They're still listed in Continental's website specs. If you want them, you'll probably need to ask a Continental tire dealer to order them for you, and see what happens. Or, you could call Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct to ask them what the scoop is. If they're discontinued, Continental may still have some in a warehouse somewhere.

Not trying to Hijack the thread, but have a questions for the Guru's on here.

Same Specs at Stuntman, but I want to try to run R888

205/40/17
255/35/18

I can't do 235/40/17, it will rub. My 215 is at the limits already with the car lowered.

Is this Combo OK?

I can delete this thread if I offend anyone.

Thanks in Advance-

I just checked with tirerack and the 215/40-17 DW has been discontinued and they cannot locate any more.

Same Specs at Stuntman, but I want to try to run R888

205/40/17
255/35/18

I can't do 235/40/17, it will rub. My 215 is at the limits already with the car lowered.

Is this Combo OK?
There are different kinds of "OK".

For example, if you're asking whether this will be OK for the TCS on the NSX, yes it will; it should not cause problems for the TCS on any year NSX.

I'm not sure that would be my choice for racetrack use, though - and I assume you are going to be using this setup on the track, since track tires like the R888 aren't very practical on the street (for a whole bunch of reasons). Going narrower than the stock tires on the front tires on the racetrack, where you need maximum grip for cornering, may not be the best move. (For street use, I would consider using these tire sizes, but I wouldn't use the R888 on the street.)

215/40-17 shouldn't rub with the proper wheel offset, even with a reasonable amount of suspension lowering. Sounds to me like you've lowered the car too much, and you're then considering compounding that mistake by using undersized tires, instead of just undoing the mistake by reducing some of the lowering.

215/40-17 shouldn't rub with the proper wheel offset, even with a reasonable amount of suspension lowering. Sounds to me like you've lowered the car too much, and you're then considering compounding that mistake by using undersized tires, instead of just undoing the mistake by reducing some of the lowering.

You caught me. :biggrin:

I run R888 daily on my S2000. I'm so spoiled by it, I wanted it for the NSX. I figured, I only drive the NSX on sundays, (might as well splurge). 2000 miles a year tops, I can last 2.5 years with it.

Yes, I am lowered. But R888 only comes in 205 or 235 for the front. There is no 215/40/17 :redface:

Maybe I'll just stick to the Star Specs.

Thanks for the help!

There is a 215/45ZR17 size for the R888; won't that work?

I have 94+ wheels on my 93 NSX with 215/45/16 + 255/40/17. I'm also considering R888 with 205/40/17 F + 255/35/18 R along with prodrive GC-07C wheels.

Just For comparision, (information on tirerack):

R888

205/40/17 have a tread width of 7,8" and weights 19 lbs

255/35/18 have a tread width of 9,5" and weights 25 lbs

RE010:

215/45/16 have a tread width of 7,3" and weights 22 lbs

245/40/17 have a tread width of 8,4" and weights 28 lbs

AD08:

215/40/17 have a tread width of 8,2" and weights 21 lbs

265/35/18 have a tread width of 10,3" and weights 27 lbs

so I would be shaving 3 lbs each corner against 94+ OEM setup and as R88 are quite square tires, tread width on front would be even improved...

I don't drive my NSX in the rain (so traction on standing water don't bother me)
I put 1300 miles/year on the NSX (so durability of the tyre don't bother me)
And i don't mind the extra noise...

I like the Idea of shaving weight on the wheels and getting good grip (I don't take my nsx to the track but i can drive it fast on some twisted roads...)

Any other downsides i should think about when using R888 tire as a street tire?

Wouldn't this be a nice setup for someone using the NSX in the same conditions i use mine? would AD08 be a better tire for those conditions and worth the extra weight?

"tire Guru's" opinion would be very apreciated :smile:

P.S. - I wouldn't use R888 if i had to drive my car daily and in wet conditions...

Thanks in advance

Bruno

For example, if you're asking whether this will be OK for the TCS on the NSX, yes it will; it should not cause problems for the TCS on any year NSX.

I'm not sure that would be my choice for racetrack use, though - and I assume you are going to be using this setup on the track, since track tires like the R888 aren't very practical on the street (for a whole bunch of reasons). Going narrower than the stock tires on the front tires on the racetrack, where you need maximum grip for cornering, may not be the best move. (For street use, I would consider using these tire sizes, but I wouldn't use the R888 on the street.)

Last edited:
Any other downsides i should think about when using R888 tire as a street tire?
On the street, it's not going to give you as high a level of performance as an extreme performance street tire. Like most track tires, the R888 needs to be warmed up (such as in the first lap on the track) to achieve its high level of grip. On the street, you'll never reach that level of heat. For that reason, you'll get better grip from the AD08. And better grip will always give better performance than small differences in weight.

I'd recommend the AD08 or, as another alternative, the Dunlop Star Spec. The old Star Spec (the Z1) is on closeout special right now at the Tire Rack. The new, improved Star Spec (the ZII) is expected to go on sale in March.

Last edited:
Not trying to Hijack, but I was wondering if I could get away with a 205/40R17 on a 17x8 wheel, or is that too much of a stretch?

I have a 1991 that I want to run 17x8/18x10, but with the 215/40's getting harder to come by was just wondering if 205's would be an option since I don't track the vehicle.

Not trying to Hijack, but I was wondering if I could get away with a 205/40R17 on a 17x8 wheel, or is that too much of a stretch?

I have a 1991 that I want to run 17x8/18x10, but with the 215/40's getting harder to come by was just wondering if 205's would be an option since I don't track the vehicle.
205/40-17 tires are usually approved for mounting on rims 7.0-8.0" wide, so it should be fine on 17x8. The TCS should work fine on your '91 with that front size and all the usual 18" rear sizes (255/35-18, 265/35-18, and even 275/35-18). The only concern is that the handling on the NSX tends to degrade with a large stagger (difference in tread width, front vs rear), especially when it's 60 mm or higher, which it would then be with the typical 265/35-18. But you could do it. Still, 215/40-17 would be preferable, as long as good tires are still available in that size, which they are.

HTH

Last edited:
I'm covered for my current size:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...7&rearWidth=285/&rearRatio=30&rearDiameter=18

- - - Updated - - -

On the street, it's not going to give you as high a level of performance as an extreme performance street tire. Like most track tires, the R888 needs to be warmed up (such as in the first lap on the track) to achieve its high level of grip. On the street, you'll never reach that level of heat. For that reason, you'll get better grip from the AD08. And better grip will always give better performance than small differences in weight.

I'd recommend the AD08 or, as another alternative, the Dunlop Star Spec. The old Star Spec (the Z1) is on closeout special right now at the Tire Rack. The new, improved Star Spec (the ZII) is expected to go on sale in March.

I ran the R888 on the GTO and now have a set for the S-10 and have no issues driving it on the streets in California warmer weather.

I too am soooo spoiled with those tires.

And I have driven them in the rain with no issues if it's not a Noah's Ark grade rain.

I have 205's on the front of mine(not by choice) and the Falken 265's on the back i do not have any issues driving day to day wet or shine but take it to the track and it's understeer central.
still fun tho just dont expect any quick lap times and guys will get away from you in those corners.
I bought the Falken 615's for the rear and had the 215's on order they never turned up we cant get them here so i was forced to put the shitty 205 Pirelli's on since i have found the 225's rub. I have a 17/18 setup.
I am now waiting for some Starspecs at 215 but looks like we cant get those here now so am waiting for the z2 to come out which means the 205's are on for a bit longer but if you were wondering you can run them safely and at pace just dont expect phenomenal lap times.

I have 205's on the front of mine(not by choice) and the Falken 265's on the back i do not have any issues driving day to day wet or shine but take it to the track and it's understeer central.
still fun tho just dont expect any quick lap times and guys will get away from you in those corners.
I bought the Falken 615's for the rear and had the 215's on order they never turned up we cant get them here so i was forced to put the shitty 205 Pirelli's on since i have found the 225's rub. I have a 17/18 setup.
I am now waiting for some Starspecs at 215 but looks like we cant get those here now so am waiting for the z2 to come out which means the 205's are on for a bit longer but if you were wondering you can run them safely and at pace just dont expect phenomenal lap times.
It sounds like the biggest cause of your understeer is that the make/model of your front tires is not as sticky as that of your rear tires. Not the difference in treadwidth.

i would agree unfortunately i didnt have much choice, i was hoping to get the Falkens all round but the fronts didnt show and now the importer says he cant get them in that size, after i mounted the rears. Then I thought i might be able to get the Starspecs might have to wait for the new version and change to the new dunlops when the rears where out, so wrong size and wrong width. i was just letting him know you can run 205's without major issues if not really an ideal setup

so based on a new thread on here does this list need to be updated to show for the new Starspecs Z2? i hope so as this will solve my issues

Last edited:
Okay, here is a question for the tire/wheel combo gods. I have 205/40/17s on the front of my NSX right now. I believe they're on either a 7" wide wheel (came with the car). (excuse the long post)

I always pick my tire size before the wheel size, and my standard width wheel for a 215/40 tire (which I want to move to) is a 7" wide wheel.
First, I think it looks the best when it is mounted on the wheel (as it isn't stretched) but I have more reasons:

Point 1) With all the camber gain the NSX has on the front because of its high caster, I've found that not having enough sidewall compliance can drastically reduce your dynamic contact patch under high speed cornering (like merging onto a highway at 90mph through some twisty on-ramp, common "sporty driving" situation). You turn the wheel, it loads up the inside or outside of the tire and the lack of sidewall compliance keeps the contact patch near the outer edges of the tire, which means the contact patch stays small. On top of that, it increases toe kick due to road imperfections which can reduce driver confidence at high speeds, keeping you off the throttle - which ruins the fun.

Question: I understand why everyone wants to run 8" wheels on the front of their cars, they want to use 215/40 tires (good for TCS) and they want them to be as wide as possible. But the OE 02+ wheels were 7" on the front - was that not sufficient for stock cars? Only the 91-93 cars had 6.5" wheels on the front, and once they moved to 7" in 94 they never went up any further.

Point 2) I hate "over tired" cars. In other words... I have 270 hp with a lot of weight over the rear axle. If I put 9.5" wheels and equally wide tires on my car, I have so much grip in the back compared to the front it will induce oversteer. Of course, the tires are more expensive, the wheels themselves are more expensive, and the wheel/tire combo weighs more, which runs it even more. I don't have 400 hp to put down, I don't need 10" wide wheels and 275 tires.

Maybe its just me, but with the staggered setup of the NSX, I think it makes sense to try to balance the grip of the front vs. the rear. I have a stock 91, so the front springs are soft enough that if you hit the brakes hard and take a corner, you can actually hit the front lip against the ground - yes, C&D did this years ago and so did Autoblog in their long term tester. You have so much load transfer to the front anyway under cornering and braking that you don't need wider tires, normally oversteer is the issue, not understeer. Putting wider wheels on the front can make this worse.

Point 3) In my tire setup right now (235s on the back, slightly over 91 OE specs but lower than 94+) and the front at 205 give me a nice progressive oversteer that is completely controllable and a hell of a lot of fun. I want to move to 215 to help with high speed cornering as mentioned in point 1.

Question 2) I can't imagine these guys running 9.5" to 10.5" wide wheels on the back and 8" wide wheels on the front can really get any oversteer at all with a stock motor. Yea it might look good, but am I the only one that thinks it can ruin the fun of the car? On top of that, it will start to induce understeer because the rear wheels just won't give. And when they do, they'll snap and you'll have a higher chance of spinning out and hitting something instead of a nice progressive loss of traction in the rear that is easier to deal with (and fun to correct with the manual steering!).

So, from a driving dynamics point of view, my optimum tire widths (for street driving) for a 17/18 combo would be 215 for the front (on a 7" wide wheel) and 245 (on a 8.5" wheel). In other words, the stock zanardi setup but with 17/18 instead of 16/17. If you had a CTSC or another supercharger I would say you could go to OE 02+ sizes, 7" wide in the front and 9" in the back.

I think it would have good sidewall compliance, not too much body roll, keep the tires available and affordable, keep rolling mass down, and keep that nice progressive oversteer tendency of the stock car. What do you guys think?

Perhaps this isn't the thread for this point, but I figured all you guys who are experienced in running these wider wheels/tires have already posted in there and would be able to answer my questions.

Last edited:
Back