• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wheel locks - good idea or bad idea?

Friends,

I don't have wheel locks on my '91 NSX (with OEM wheels). It didn't come with any, and I had a bad experience many years ago with my Mustang, when I had a flat tire and couldn't find the key to the wheel locks. :mad:

I've also heard that they don't slow down professional thieves anyway.

My car lives in my garage in a sleepy suburb of San Francisco, which also limits its vulnerability.

Yet this story in today's NY Times makes me wonder - should I get wheel locks? Advice requested.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/08/n...technology-to-revive-an-old-school-crime.html

My car came with wheel locks but I removed them, they were always in a way when I changed wheels and I don't leave my car anywhere unattended.

OK, partly tongue-in-cheek, but has anyone really ever stolen early stock NSX wheels?
I've never felt the need for wheel locks on any car we've owned, but we also avoid parking our fun cars in areas we don't consider trustworthy!

Brian

OK, partly tongue-in-cheek, but has anyone really ever stolen early stock NSX wheels?
I've never felt the need for wheel locks on any car we've owned, but we also avoid parking our fun cars in areas we don't consider trustworthy!

Brian

That's a good point. I put the wheel locks on my Mustang after buying expensive Ford Racing Cobra rims...

The cost of most aftermarket rims is still less than Dealership list for OEM wheels, so even if insurance want's to argue, I'm only out the comp' deductible.

I can't stand the hassle of wheel locks, and if they really want your rims, they are coming off. I'd rather just replace rims than have to fool with also replacing a busted or stripped wheel stud as well.

That said, I don't make a habit park my car on Magnolia ave. down town.

I just bought a '92 BB and it came with Blitz type 3's. No locks... I live in a condo whith a gated multifloor garage with police officers and police cars constantly in the buildig as they live there. The security guards are constanly patrolling as well. Golf cart commando's.

However as mentioned if they want it, it's likely gone.

Currently my Blitz 3's are not polished as the dealership did not keep them cleaned. I think they are the most beautiful wheels ever when clean.

:) that said I'm paranoid for after I get them polished by the shop I found here in Fort Lauderdale. Example on someone elses car linked on NXSprime in another post.

4132nsx_wth_Blitz_Type_03s.jpg

Last edited:
The cost of most aftermarket rims is still less than Dealership list for OEM wheels, so even if insurance want's to argue, I'm only out the comp' deductible.

I can't stand the hassle of wheel locks, and if they really want your rims, they are coming off. I'd rather just replace rims than have to fool with also replacing a busted or stripped wheel stud as well.

That said, I don't make a habit park my car on Magnolia ave. down town.

Lol! I roll the windows up lock the doors and fly down magnolia!

I'm thinking that my initial instincts are still good — no wheel locks.

Is there much of a market for stolen wheels that fit the NSX?
How fast could they sell hot NSX wheels for a fast $?
I understand the Mustang "after-market".

Last edited:
through the years I've had plenty of tire valve stem caps stolen........:mad:

that said I'm paranoid for after I get them polished by the shop I found here in Fort Lauderdale. Example on someone elses car linked on NXSprime in another post.

Which shop do you use in Ft. Lauderdale?

I just bought a '92 BB and it came with Blitz type 3's. No locks... I live in a condo whith a gated multifloor garage with police officers and police cars constantly in the buildig as they live there. The security guards are constanly patrolling as well. Golf cart commando's.

However as mentioned if they want it, it's likely gone.

Currently my Blitz 3's are not polished as the dealership did not keep them cleaned. I think they are the most beautiful wheels ever when clean.

:) that said I'm paranoid for after I get them polished by the shop I found here in Fort Lauderdale. Example on someone elses car linked on NXSprime in another post.

Thats a good lookin car right thurrrr

I have these wheel locks my my TL S-Type ..... its a new patented design and unless you have a thin wall socket thats the right diameter you aint getting these off.

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/gorilla-guard-locks
Are you using those locks, with a tapered/conical seating area, on stock Honda/Acura TL-S wheels? If so, that's a really bad idea. Whatever lug nuts you use - whether they are wheel locks or just non-locking lug nuts - you need to use ones that have the same shaped seating area as the wheels. (The seating area is the area around the lug hole where the nut and the wheel come into contact.) Honda/Acura wheels have a ball-shaped seating area; most aftermarket wheels have a conical/tapered shaped seating area. From the diagram, it appears that those wheel locks, for cars with lugs/studs, are only available with a tapered seating area, not with a ball-shaped seating area (except for cars that use lug studs, like BMW's).

Are you using those locks, with a tapered/conical seating area, on stock Honda/Acura TL-S wheels? If so, that's a really bad idea. Whatever lug nuts you use - whether they are wheel locks or just non-locking lug nuts - you need to use ones that have the same shaped seating area as the wheels. (The seating area is the area around the lug hole where the nut and the wheel come into contact.) Honda/Acura wheels have a ball-shaped seating area; most aftermarket wheels have a conical/tapered shaped seating area. From the diagram, it appears that those wheel locks, for cars with lugs/studs, are only available with a tapered seating area, not with a ball-shaped seating area (except for cars that use lug studs, like BMW's).

I am gonna have to take a look but I do belive your right the ones I have are tapered and the stock are ball ends .... I dont really feel any difference thou and I do seat the other lugs first .... I would prefer to have the added protection of these locks .... I am surprised they dont make them for Acura/Honda

I am gonna have to take a look but I do belive your right the ones I have are tapered and the stock are ball ends .... I dont really feel any difference thou and I do seat the other lugs first .... I would prefer to have the added protection of these locks .... I am surprised they dont make them for Acura/Honda
Using locks with the wrong shaped seating area is a really bad idea. The locks and the wheels only come into contact along a thin circle, instead of across a wide area. The lugs become very susceptible to working themselves loose, which means you can lose a wheel, bend studs, or worse if it happens on the road.

I agree with most of those above that wheel locks are not really necessary, thanks to the low demand for NSX wheels, but if you want to use them on Honda/Acura wheels, use ones with a ball-shaped seating area. The ones they sell at the dealer - branded as Honda, made by McGard - work just fine. You can get chrome-finish wheel locks at any Honda or Acura dealer. If you have black lug nuts (such as the ones that are stock on the '91-96 NSX), you can get matching black wheel locks at your Acura dealer, although they will probably have to order them for you; ask for part number 08W42-SL0-201.

I use them. I had my 2007 TSX with A-Spec wheels left on blocks at the Long Island Railroad parking area during work one day. :mad: Over $12,000 in damage, of which $3,000 was new wheels.

No one is going to steal those wheels. They cost $200/set in the classifieds- I gave away two sets on ebay for that much... demand is that low. And that's with tires.

Back