• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My new app is finally on the Apple App Store

Very cool Vamp. Will there be an Android version too?

There will be one but I don't know when I will get to it. I should have one done by the end of the year but its not as easy as it looks. :( I still have other iPhone apps I need to finish up.

Wow, that's impressive.
What's the game about?

Thank you.

The game is a very simple concept. You start out with a fish tank that is basically empty. What you need to do to fill it up with fish and plants is go on a river as a fish and collect pearls. The more points you make on each level the more goodies you unlock. The game is very cool because you could unlock all the river levels but still not fill your tank up. So you have a ton of replay value because you want to score higher on each level to get the max out of it. My brother in law has ADD and he cant put it down so I know its additive. :smile: He was my ultimate fun factor test.

The game is a very simple concept. You start out with a fish tank that is basically empty. What you need to do to fill it up with fish and plants is go on a river as a fish and collect pearls. The more points you make on each level the more goodies you unlock. The game is very cool because you could unlock all the river levels but still not fill your tank up. So you have a ton of replay value because you want to score higher on each level to get the max out of it. My brother in law has ADD and he cant put it down so I know its additive. :smile: He was my ultimate fun factor test.

That's awesome man. I was talking to an android developer last week, and he said they can't accept any new projects because they're so busy. Seems like iPhone/Android app development is the biggest skill to have right now.

Is this a side project for you, or do you do this for a living?

Is this your first app in the store? I'm curious how easy/hard it was to get set up to deliver your product. I've got an iTunes Connect account for the bookstore, and it was not particularly easy or fast to get that going.

I downloaded XCode last week and have been working through a couple tutorials. That's something I've meant to do for years, but only recently came up with a decent idea of something to build.

Looks pretty straightforward so far. It's a nice IDE compared to the antique crap I use at work.

That's awesome man. I was talking to an android developer last week, and he said they can't accept any new projects because they're so busy. Seems like iPhone/Android app development is the biggest skill to have right now.

Is this a side project for you, or do you do this for a living?

I have been a video game developer for 15 years. But for the last year I am making iPhone games independently. I am going to change carrer soon but will keep doing iPhone games on the side. :smile:

Is this your first app in the store? I'm curious how easy/hard it was to get set up to deliver your product. I've got an iTunes Connect account for the bookstore, and it was not particularly easy or fast to get that going.

I downloaded XCode last week and have been working through a couple tutorials. That's something I've meant to do for years, but only recently came up with a decent idea of something to build.

Looks pretty straightforward so far. It's a nice IDE compared to the antique crap I use at work.

This is my second app. It's easy and hard at the same time. The reason I say that is because the more you learn the better you want to make your app. Basically it easy to start but it's hard to not try harder stuff to do.

This is my second app. It's easy and hard at the same time. The reason I say that is because the more you learn the better you want to make your app. Basically it easy to start but it's hard to not try harder stuff to do.
25 years ago I grabbed every chance to try a new language or IDE and spent lots of spare time programming. These days that ambition is almost completely gone, but like I said I've got a specific need now and there isn't anything available so if I want it, I'll need to write it myself.

What I want is an app that will parse the CSS and HTML that makes up Apple's .ibooks file bundle and output it to an OS X app. If Apple won't release a desktop viewer for their books, I intend to make a converter. I could do it in Visual Studio at work, but I don't have a Windows computer at home.

Last edited:
It's more of a hobby now days with video games and apps. If you make big money great but it's not like 15 years ago were making over 100k was guaranteed. Now days people are lucky of they make over 70k in the video game industry.

Congrats! I will check it out as well.

I have been looking at iOS and Android development recently. But my only coding experience is limited to HTML and CSS. It seems like the best place to start is the stanford tutorials on itunes? Do you have any other tutorials or suggestions for beginners? You have obviously have a greater programming background so it was probably easy for you to jump in I assume, whether you know Objective-C or not. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Are you trying to make a game or a app that helps people with something? You could use different things that do not requir you to be a programming god.

An app for helping at first since I have a few in my head. I have game ideas but I know that requires a lot more know-how so i'd rather learn before I get into that.

Actually with games there are ways to make them with very little programming knowledge. There are engines you could use that take care of most of the programming and all you need to do is make things do what you want.

I have been a video game developer for 15 years. But for the last year I am making iPhone games independently. I am going to change carrer soon but will keep doing iPhone games on the side. :smile:

That's awesome. Any interest in making apps for other people for money?
I have ideas here and there that I would be happy to pay someone to execute.

Congrats! I will check it out as well.

I have been looking at iOS and Android development recently. But my only coding experience is limited to HTML and CSS. It seems like the best place to start is the stanford tutorials on itunes? Do you have any other tutorials or suggestions for beginners? You have obviously have a greater programming background so it was probably easy for you to jump in I assume, whether you know Objective-C or not. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

In my spare time, I have been going through this book:

http://www.bignerdranch.com/book/ios_programming_the_big_nerd_ranch_guide_rd_edition_

It's designed for people who know some basic programming (C or Java). It explains Objective C syntax and then takes you right into iOS from the start. It's well written, although it helps to have the edition that matches the version of iOS you are using. I was using the iOS 4 edition and when iOS 5 came out, and things started diverging a bit. It's updated now.

In my spare time, I have been going through this book:

http://www.bignerdranch.com/book/ios_programming_the_big_nerd_ranch_guide_rd_edition_

It's designed for people who know some basic programming (C or Java). It explains Objective C syntax and then takes you right into iOS from the start. It's well written, although it helps to have the edition that matches the version of iOS you are using. I was using the iOS 4 edition and when iOS 5 came out, and things started diverging a bit. It's updated now.

Thanks for that. Would it be hard for someone who doesn't know C or Java at all? AKA... my case? I'm anxious to get this started. People recommend the stanford tutorials on itunes and they say you can get away with not having prior experience, but the class itself has prerequisites and they throw you right into it from the first lecture. I watched some of it and I feel like I need more just to get the basics.

Thanks for that. Would it be hard for someone who doesn't know C or Java at all? AKA... my case? I'm anxious to get this started. People recommend the stanford tutorials on itunes and they say you can get away with not having prior experience, but the class itself has prerequisites and they throw you right into it from the first lecture. I watched some of it and I feel like I need more just to get the basics.

I have a friend who has developed several iOS apps and he said the Stanford tutorials are extremely good and give great tips some of which he had unfortunately learned the hard way. I have not seen them myself yet.

If you are familiar with basic object oriented language concepts and basically any programming language (Javascript, for example if you are a web developer), then I think the book would work for you. As an HTML/CSS person, you are already accustomed to using objects, like XML/JSON DOMs. Perhaps the only additional concept to learn is memory management.

I just checked the intro of the book, it suggests that if you don't know C or Obj-C, then the book "Objective-C Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide" would help you get started.

Back